PDA

View Full Version : Universal Bellows for Shen Hao HZX-45IIa

Tim Hodgson
14-Jun-2009, 08:39
Does anyone know if the Chamonix 45n-1 universal bellows will fit on the Shen Hao HZX-45IIa ?

A few months back I remember someone had said that they had used the bag bellows from the Shen Hao on the Chaminoix and it fit, I think that was it, so it makes sense that they are interchangeable to a degree.

Thanks,

Tim

vinny
14-Jun-2009, 08:49
They are interchangeable and I was the guy using the shen hao bag bellows on the 45n-1. I just did the opposite and ordered the regular shen hao bellows for my 45n-1 to replace the standard bellows which aren't suitable for use with infrared film. The material used for the later 45n-1 models is different and not opaque to ir.

vinny

Tim Hodgson
14-Jun-2009, 09:10
Thanks Vinny ...

I've got a 90mm Fuji and I need the bellows to just loosen up a bit, but I don't particularly want a bag bellows. I'll go ahead and order the Chamonix one.

Thanks again,

Tim

m332720
14-Jun-2009, 09:43
Vinny
Are you sure that the Shen Hao bellow are opaque to IR? When I tried to shoot HIE with my Shen Hao I got very fogged film. I then put a sheet in a film holder and put it in the camera. I pulled the dark slide out half way and left the camera alone for about 10 minutes. When I developed the film the half that was covered by the slide was clear and the other half was black. That little experiment leads me to believe that my Shen Hao is not usable for IR with the standard bellows.

Michael

vinny
14-Jun-2009, 16:07
Michael, I didn't have issues with my shenhao hz45IIa using efke ir film and the standard bellows. That camera was purchased new in 2001 ish. I won't know for sure until I test the new shen hao bellows this weekend or early next week. Jeff @badgergraphic says the replacement bellows material doesn't look any different than than it did then on my original shen hao. We'll see.

Archphoto
16-Jun-2009, 08:09
Just a question: why an universal bellows and not a bag-bellows for the Shen Hao ?
Is it to have one bellows up to 75mm ?
A 58XL will not fit I gues......

I am asking this, because I have a Shen Hao HZX45 IIA in Holland and I am in Brazil until somewhere in August and will be facing this when I am back home.

Thanks,
Peter

Tim Hodgson
16-Jun-2009, 19:47
I prefer the universal bellows for a couple of reasons.

I am currently not using anything wider than 90mm and, while I am on the lookout for a 75mm, I am not planning on shooting with anything wider than that in the near future. The Shen Hao will handle both of these lenses with the standard bellows but with very restricted movements so I would like something a little easier to work with. But I don't want the bag bellows with the problems that it can introduce, for instance vignetting from the bellows.

I could be completely wrong here and maybe the universal bellows will not provide enough freedom of movement either, and maybe the bag bellows is the only alternative. Don't know yet. I will know ... I have ordered the Chamonix universal bellows from Hugo and will let you know how it works out.

The other reason is purely personal taste ... I don't like the look of the bag bellows. And yes, I know that that has little to do with using the proper equipment to correctly master the task of taking photographs ... but for the time, effort, self education, money, work, studying, money, practice, money, passion, and money that I have invested in my Large Format life ... I just want it to look purdy. Shallow, I know ... but that's the way it is. :p

Tim

Archphoto
17-Jun-2009, 03:27
Thanks, Tim.

I have a Sinar P2 with bag bellows and never had any issues of vignetting from the bellows and it gives me all the room I need, even with the 72XL.

On looks I have to agree with you: I think I would take the bag bellows off as soon as I am done with it.

Greetings,
Peter