PDA

View Full Version : plaubel lens identification

pablo batt
14-Jun-2009, 04:58
found this lens and was hoping someone might be able to identify the length and potential coverage for me, the owner of the lens is not local so i cannot view and he has very little knowledge of the lens

Math
14-Jun-2009, 11:08
Apparently the front part of the lens has a helicoid, moving only the front lens elements forward. It's marked 3, 4, 5, 6. It has an aperture marked 9, 12, and 15. That's the info I got from the seller. It wasn't too expensive, and as I was already ordering two shutters from the same person, I bought this as well. I'll see what it is, and in the worst case I'm sure I can use it for parts for some home built projects. It looks to be quite small though!

I'm sorry if you were interested, I found this topic searching google for "Plaubel lens", after purchase.

Any info is still welcome, as I have no clue on this either. Could be for an enlarger?

Martin Courtenay-Blake
14-Jun-2009, 12:14
Looks like an early version of the variable focal length tele-peconar. These were used on the Plaubel Peco and Peco Jnr monorails. The lens boards for this camera had a circular raised rim whioch would fit the flange on the lens.The markings 3 - 6 will correspond to different focal lengths. These varied depending on the version of the lens. You should be able to do a rough approximation by focusing on a sheet of paper or gg if you can attach to a camera.

Hope of use

Martin

pablo batt
14-Jun-2009, 12:31
hi

it does look very small, i was looking to attach it to a crown but i think its probably a 6x9 coverage

Sevo
15-Jun-2009, 02:15
Tele-Peconar. Not from a Peco monorail though - these were only released in the mid to late fifties. DRGM ("Reichsgebrauchsmuster") means it is pre 1949 (when the Reich officially ceased to exist).

GPS
15-Jun-2009, 03:57
Tele-Peconar. Not from a Peco monorail though - these were only released in the mid to late fifties. DRGM ("Reichsgebrauchsmuster") means it is pre 1949 (when the Reich officially ceased to exist).

Didn't the German Reich officially end in 1945?

Sevo
15-Jun-2009, 04:13
Didn't the German Reich officially end in 1945?

It was in limbo until the formation of the GDR and FRG in 1949. Boards of purely civilian administration (like the patent and trademark register) continued under the old names and laws (minus obviously Nazi amendments) until then. That is, anything tagged DRGM or DRP is pre 1950.

Sevo

GPS
15-Jun-2009, 05:10
Interesting to see the German perspective on it, thanks. I though the Control Council of the allied forces was the official continuation of the German Reich but the whole thing is probably rather complicated.

IanG
17-Jun-2009, 04:46
In the mid 30's the Plaubel Makina II took interchangeable screw thread lenses, there was a Tele-Makinar f6.3 21cm which appears to have a focussing mount, the cameras were 6.5x9cm.

There was also a Rapid Wide Angle Orthar f6.8 7.3cm, the Standard lens was a 10cm f2.9 Plauble Anticomar, these screw into the front and rear of a Compur shutter, the size is not given, but is probably an 0 or perhaps 1 but no larger. The Telephoto just screws into the front of the Compur and so would be quite small.

The lens shown here could be an earlier version (pre 1934) of the telephoto.

Ian

Math
17-Jun-2009, 12:46
Well, it arrived today. Seems to screw straight in front of a #1 shutter, with the adapter that is screwed onto it.
I doubt it's for the plaubel though, it needs a LOT of bellows for any image to appear. My 9x12 tailboard needed to be extended fully to focus the minimum focal length at infinity. The image looks quite soft, and is impossible to see when stopped down. I've made some exposures with it, so we'll see what it looks like. Seems to cover 9x12 easily though.
The aperature looks like it could open up a lot more, but it does not.

Sevo
17-Jun-2009, 13:01
The lens shown here could be an earlier version (pre 1934) of the telephoto.

No. The Makina teles were called Tele-Makinar and are not varifocal. The small Tele-Peconars do mechanically fit Makina I and Makina IIa models, but can only be used by pulling around the uncoupled struts - which is so clumsy that we can safely assume that Plaubel never intended them to be used in that combination.

IanG
17-Jun-2009, 13:08
No. The Makina teles were called Tele-Makinar and are not varifocal. The small Tele-Peconars do mechanically fit Makina I and Makina IIa models, but can only be used by pulling around the uncoupled struts - which is so clumsy that we can safely assume that Plaubel never intended them to be used in that combination.

Re-read that's what I was saying too :D I've never mentioned the Peconar :)

Ian