PDA

View Full Version : Buying my first pro flatbed, would like some advice

bagdad child
12-Jun-2009, 16:51
Hi,

I am about to buy my first pro flatbed scanner. I will pick it up and drive it back home in a car. The scanner comes complete with original software, a Mac and mounting frames. It's a 16bit scanner with XY-technology and the price seems right. I would be very grateful for some advice as I have no experience with professional scanners.

When testing the Scanner what should I be looking for? Should I bring some negs and dense slides and scan at the highest resolution and then pixel peep? Are there any parts inside the scanner I should check? The scanner can be serviced and repaired only a few hours drive away which I guess is very good should the scanner malfunction. What about transporting a high-end scanner in a car? Do I need to take special precautions to keep the scanner positioned in a certain way? Should any parts be disengaged during transport? Your help is much appreciated!

Preston
12-Jun-2009, 16:59
I think the scanner guys around here might have trouble with their psychic 'What make and model scanner is it?' hotline today. ;)

-Preston

bagdad child
12-Jun-2009, 17:02
oh..! Sorry about that! It's a Scanview and the model is F10. I believe it's identical to the Howtek F10.

bwchrome
19-Aug-2009, 19:36
..I wouldn't ever recommend you buy a scannview scanner. You will be on your own for parts or service. The people supplying parts and service in Europe are egotistical hijackers. You would be better off buying a Creo or Nexscan.

good luck

dw

Lenny Eiger
20-Aug-2009, 08:25
..I wouldn't ever recommend you buy a scannview scanner. You will be on your own for parts or service. The people supplying parts and service in Europe are egotistical hijackers. You would be better off buying a Creo or Nexscan.

good luck

dw

I'm with David on this one - don't do it unless it's really inexpensive. Wy not just pick up a cheap Howtek drum?

Lenny