PDA

View Full Version : Ries J 100 vs J 600 tripod

Julian Pearce
12-Jun-2009, 16:50
I'm in the process of considering a new tripod for use with a light weight Wista 4x5 and 8x10. I've pretty much narrowed the choice down to Ries J 100 or a Ries J 600 based on aesthetics and its fine lineage. I'm planning to use the tripod with a J 250 head. Both the J 100 and J 600 weigh 8 lbs and can take a 16lb camera (and no doubt more) and have an extended hight of 59". The difference is that the J 100 folds down to 35" while the J 600 folds down to 21". I believe that the J600 has an inner leg that breaks down into two pieces, in the way a pool cue breaks down. I have heard that the joint occasionally comes loose on the J600.

Without access to a photo I'm having a bit of trouble visualising how the J 600 operates - eg can you leave the legs screwed together to carry the tripod short distances and if so how long is the tripod. While the repair to the joint would no doubt be covered by the warranty, getting the tripod back to the US would be difficult and expensive so would this repair be possible without a return to Ries. Generally, what are the pros and cons of the J 100 relative to the J 600 and is there a photo available of the J 600 legs. Thanks for your assistance. Julian

R Mann
12-Jun-2009, 18:33
I have used both - like them and find no real difference in their ability to support my 5x7.

The J600 legs can be left attached - they screw together with a stud and threaded hole - they can get loose, but a quick twist will tighten them up. One advantage of the J600 is its ability to be used lower to the ground with only one leg section - something I do fairly often. If it did have a problem, a simple fix is to get a dowel of the right length if you could not replace the hardware locally. Ries support is outstanding - they sell extra hardware pieces. I have made an extra set of legs for my J600 that are the same length as the J100 legs - it was quite easy to do.

It probably comes down to how useful the J600 short leg feature would be - do you need to have a short length for packing in luggage? If not the J100 has fewer pieces and is a fine tripod.

Keith Pitman
12-Jun-2009, 21:02
I had a J600 and thought it was wobbly. I have a J100-2 that I like a lot and use often. If you are going to carry a 4x5 camera for any distance, get a CF tripod -- more compact, lighter, and easier to carry.

Heroique
12-Jun-2009, 21:51
I have the J600/J250 combination and I've been very happy for several years. Some quick tripod observations...

Keep in mind, the "extended height of 59 inches" you mentioned is the height when the three legs are assembled, installed on the tripod, and "closed together," with their feet touching each other. When you open the legs so the tripod can stand, this height will be lower (perhaps 50" or so), but your tripod head will, of course, add back some height.

BTW, when the legs are assembled and "closed" in this way, and tightened down, the tripod is very easy to carry around for short (or not-so-short) distances. :p

When I do macro, or need to be close to the ground, I typically unscrew the legs, put aside the top portion of each leg, and reinsert the lower portion, and tighten down. Very versatile!

Ries' black transport bag is very nice, tough, well designed. When your tripod is disassembled and stored in the bag, the parts stay put, making transport and storage quite convenient. Often, I've strapped the bag to my backpack (vertically or horizontally), and walked through branches and brambles with ease.

I imagine one cost to the J600’s unique design is, perhaps, a greater chance of being slightly more “wobbly” than Ries’ other tripods, but I’ve never had a chance to compare – nor felt the need. And my tripod’s leg joints have never come loose after several years, but I’ve heard of this happening – no worry, that’s covered by the generous lifetime warranty. And the Ries people are so very helpful and supportive. Call them and they can address more technical questions, too!

Julian Pearce
12-Jun-2009, 23:30
Thank you for everyone's comments. I'm still a little unclear on the construction of the J 600. Each leg of the J 100 seems to have two outer wood pieces and the centre leg slides between them and is clamped together to lock the centre leg in place so each leg can be adjused to varying heights. How does the screwed together legs of the J 600 work as I'm unable to see one and can't find a photo. Thanks again. Julian

R Mann
13-Jun-2009, 03:41
On the J600 leg the joined section ends are made of metal and are the same diameter as the wood section. One of the metal sections has a metal stud which screws into the threaded hole on the other section - twist them and the two metal ends meet making one leg. The clamping can take place anywhere along the leg - even on the metal joint.

Heroique
13-Jun-2009, 11:32
On the J600 leg the joined section ends are made of metal and are the same diameter as the wood section. One of the metal sections has a metal stud which screws into the threaded hole on the other section - twist them and the two metal ends meet making one leg. The clamping can take place anywhere along the leg - even on the metal joint.

That's a nice description of the J600 leg.

And these legs slide into (and are clamped between) the “two outer wood pieces” Julian describes – that is, the tripod’s Upper Leg Section attached to the tripod’s platform.

The shorter length of this Upper Leg Section is the J600’s other key difference. It’s only 20” or so – much shorter than those on other Ries tripods. This is what makes the tripod possibly more prone to slight wobble, a price paid by its unique design.

Ries doesn’t have a photo of the J600 on their web site, but they should. Perhaps two photos – tripod assembled and disassembled. They’d probably get even more business from backpackers, or those with limited storage space.

Michael Jones
13-Jun-2009, 11:42
I had a J600 and thought it was wobbly.

This was my experience; I did not like the "collapsable' leg joints so I went back to a J-100 for stability. Consider the C-100 for a few ounces of weight savings. It does not have the tri-locks with rods, but uses a tab to lock each leg into place. I could use either the J-100 or C-100 for my Phillips 8x10 without qualms.

Mike

Heroique
13-Jun-2009, 15:06
Ries does have a photo of the J250 “double-tilt” head you’re considering.

It’s good for their J or C series tripods (e.g., the J-100, J-600, and C-100, etc.)

It weighs only 2.5 lbs, and it holds up to 16 lbs – easily strong enough for your 4x5 camera, but I’m not sure how heavy your 8x10 is. (But it feels so strong and tight, I’ve often considered using it for lifting my car to change tires!)

Looks like the photo shows the 1/4” platform screw – if I recall correctly, Ries gives you an option between this screw and the bigger 3/8” variety, so remember to specify. I have both: the first for my Tachi 4x5; I purchased the second for my (much heavier) Toyo 45c monorail.

Julian Pearce
13-Jun-2009, 16:49
Thank you for everyones' comments. I think I'll go for a J 100 given that the small folded size of the J 600 is not that critical to me and I do want to use the tripod from time to time with a light weight (Wista) 8x10 so probably need to give priority to stability - the shorter upper leg of the J 600 doesn't sound ideal for a 8x10. Still happy to hear any contrary views as it'd be a day or so before I order. Julian

John Powers
13-Jun-2009, 18:40
I have the J600 under my Phillips 8x10 Advantage series and the bigger Ries tripod (from the 1950s) and A250 head under my Phillips 7x17. I also find the J600 a little wobbly under the 8x10. The J250 head is fine for the 8x10, but I always make sure the J600 legs have settled before I shoot the 8x10. The 7x17 is like a rock on the big head and big tripod. Perhaps I should sell the J600 to a 4x5 shooter and just get another big Ries. I carry either camera in a baby jogger so the weight really isn't the factor it would be if I back packed.

John