PDA

View Full Version : Toho Shimo in Seattle?

Rakesh Malik
12-Jun-2009, 08:48
I don't suppose there's anyone around the Seattle area who has a Toho Shimo that I could experiment with for a bit?

As much as I love my Ebony, I'm considering acquiring a Toho Shimo for the weight, since I'm planning several backpacking trips this summer, and I'll only be doing more of them in future years... and if you know this area, you know what that means in terms of hill climbing! (And one of those "hills" that I plan to climb eventually is The Mountain, and I want to be able to take a 4x5 up there with me....)

Bruce Watson
12-Jun-2009, 09:05
I don't suppose there's anyone around the Seattle area who has a Toho Shimo that I could experiment with for a bit?

As much as I love my Ebony, I'm considering acquiring a Toho Shimo for the weight, since I'm planning several backpacking trips this summer, and I'll only be doing more of them in future years... and if you know this area, you know what that means in terms of hill climbing! (And one of those "hills" that I plan to climb eventually is The Mountain, and I want to be able to take a 4x5 up there with me....)

I've been using a Toho FC-45X (http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/toho.htm) for six or seven years now -- you saw it at a Danny Burk workshop we both attended. Like all cameras it has its strengths, weaknesses, and quirks. It performs really well for me, so much so that I've never been tempted by another camera.

That said, it's not an Ebony. It doesn't feel like one, it doesn't work like one, it doesn't have asymmetric tilts, and it can't handle the range of focal lengths your Ebony can. And at 1.25 Kg, it's about half the weight, so the differences shouldn't be surprising.

It's a great camera for what you want. You could experiment with mine for a couple of days if you weren't on the other side of the continent. :eek:

Rakesh Malik
12-Jun-2009, 09:14
I do remember seeing your Toho at the workshop!

If we weren't on opposite sides of the continent, I'd take you up on that :)

Paul Metcalf
12-Jun-2009, 10:09
(And one of those "hills" that I plan to climb eventually is The Mountain, and I want to be able to take a 4x5 up there with me....)
Your weight savings in a lighter camera will be offset substantially by the weight of a much heavier tripod necessary to keep your 4x5 firmly on terra firma - the winds are extroidinary on top of the mountain. You might consider a Graphlex/Linhof and hand holding if you're serious about 4x5 up there (but it's also quite cold, so you might be shaking a bit also).

Harley Goldman
12-Jun-2009, 14:29
Another camera to consider is the Chamonix. I bought the Cham to replace my Toho and liked it so much I sold my Arca F-Line Classic and the Toho. The Cham weights about the same as the Toho. The Cham will operate much more like your Ebony than the Toho.

As Bruce stated, all cameras have their strengths and weaknesses. It all comes down to what works best for you

Rakesh Malik
12-Jun-2009, 22:10
Your weight savings in a lighter camera will be offset substantially by the weight of a much heavier tripod necessary to keep your 4x5 firmly on terra firma - the winds are extroidinary on top of the mountain.

That doesn't make any sense. If it's a good tripod, I can add weight. Or did you think that camping gear doesn't have any weight?

Paul Metcalf
13-Jun-2009, 08:37
You're absolutely right, you can add weight to your tripod, so if you all ready have the weight with you, than it's a zero-sum game as you are alluding too. But most folks attempt to eliminate weight when ascending Rainier, and you don't summit with your camping gear (IMExperience). So if you're just going to shoot up to Camp Muir (or Sherman, depending on route), then you'll have camping gear to add weight. You could use some of your technical gear on top to add weight, I suppose. Good luck in any case, it's memorable trip and hopefully you can capture some LF images.

John T
13-Jun-2009, 09:24
I bring a Tyvek bag and use rocks sand and/or dirt. I can fill the bag up to 20 pounds. It is attached to a long strong string which I tie to a hook at the bottom of the tripod. (I don't use a center column) The bag just barely touches the ground so it doesn't swing around. When I'm done shooting, I just empty the bag, and move on. This method adds a couple ounces of weight. I'm a wimp, but I can handle it.

Harley Goldman
13-Jun-2009, 10:17
I take a bungee cord with hooks on the ends. Hook one end to the tripod hook, stretch the bungee down to the ground and step on it. The tripod becomes extremely solid. The bungee weighs next to nothing.

Pfeiffer Duckett
13-Jun-2009, 21:33
Ditto. I was using a gitzo traveler's tripod which was meant for compact 35mm cameras when I had a toho. My entire 45 setup weighed less then some medium format cameras! I never had a problem with wind shaking, but then again, I didn't go to any mountains...

Eric James
13-Jun-2009, 23:44
I've photographed in 30-40 mph winds gusting to 40-50 with very sharp results. I anchor my tripod in a manner similar to what John has described, but instead of "a long string" I use a piece of 1/2 inch flat webbing, doubled backed through a ladder lock to tension the anchor against the tripod. I also block the wind with a 6X8 blue tarp anchored by my feet and held in place by my outstretched arms. Of course this only works for subject at infinity.

Rakesh, as you work your way up to the summit of The Mountain with your 4X5, you may consider an outing on the South Spur of Mt Adams. The sunsets and views from the Lunch Counter are amazing. Best of luck finding a camera to try out.

Ron Marshall
14-Jun-2009, 10:55
I've used a 2 series Gitzo CF and light ball head with the Toho for several years and never had any problems with vibration, even when shooting my 450 on a tophat.

A very light, compact and capable system.

Rakesh Malik
15-Jun-2009, 09:22
Rakesh, as you work your way up to the summit of The Mountain with your 4X5, you may consider an outing on the South Spur of Mt Adams. The sunsets and views from the Lunch Counter are amazing. Best of luck finding a camera to try out.

There are too many choices here... but Mt. Adams is definitely on my destination list. I wish I had more time for this, so that I could visit more of these places, even if just to be able to see them in person!

I think anchoring the tripod will be the least of my worries. It's getting there to see the images to shoot that is hard :)