PDA

View Full Version : Where to get front and rear lens caps for Rodenstock Sironar-N 135mm lens

newmoon2night
11-Jun-2009, 14:03
I have a 135mm Sironar-N with neither front or rear lens caps.
I've tried Kaiser push-on caps 40mm (too tight to fit the back), 41mm (too loose on back and too tight to fit on the front), and 42mm (too loose on front)!
Presume I need a 40.5mm cap for the back and a 41.5mm cap for the front.
Has anyone any idea where I could get these from please - ideally but not essentially in the UK?
Someone got the Kaiser caps for me and I can't find a Kaiser website anywhere to see whether they make 40.5mm and 41.5mm caps.
Thanks

Archphoto
11-Jun-2009, 14:29
If you have the 41 and 42 caps you can line them with felt or even one ring of gafler tape.
It should help and protect your lens.

Peter

Eric Leppanen
11-Jun-2009, 14:48
According to Rodenstock's literature, the 135mm Sironar-N takes a 42mm press-on lens cap for the front element, and 40.5mm press-on lens cap for the rear element.

http://www.butzi.net/rodenstock/apo-sironar-n/page2.htm

I would think Robert White in the U.K. would be able to get you appropriate lens caps, possibly directly from Rodenstock.

B&H sells Schneider 40.5mm and 42mm lens caps:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=search&A=search&Q=&sb=bs%2Cupper%28ds%29&sq=asc&sortDrop=Brand%3A+A+to+Z&ac=&bsi=&bhs=t&shs=&ci=297&at=Type_Slip-On&at=Diameter_40.5mm&basicSubmit=Submit+Query

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/475562-REG/B_W_65069695__300_42mm_Push_On_Lens.html

As for the Kaiser 42mm cap being too loose: perhaps your sample is just a smidge out of spec. I would certainly try another brand of lens cap before drawing any conclusions.

Bob Salomon
11-Jun-2009, 14:49
We are the Kaiser and the Rodenstock distributor. The current Rodenstock caps are identical to the Kaiser caps. The Rodenstock name is no longer on the caps as they are supplied from the factory. If you call me tomorrow I can check to see exactly which caps you need. 800 735 4373

newmoon2night
11-Jun-2009, 23:07
We are the Kaiser and the Rodenstock distributor. The current Rodenstock caps are identical to the Kaiser caps. The Rodenstock name is no longer on the caps as they are supplied from the factory. If you call me tomorrow I can check to see exactly which caps you need. 800 735 4373

Bob. Thanks for the reply - very much appreciated. I am in the UK so am trying Fotospeed, where the Kaiser lenscaps I have already tried came from (so I presume that they are the UK distributor for Kaiser). I have emailed them, and given them the details of your post, and asked them to check up for me.

My original post was slightly incorrect, in that I meant to say that the 42mm cap is too tight on the front. I'm guessing I need a 42.5mm cap for the front and a 40.5mm cap for the rear. The specific lens is a Rodenstock Sironar-N 135mm F.5.6 serial number 11336### which I think is mid 1990's manufacture.

If I can get the caps in the UK I won't trouble you further, and if I can't I'll be in touch!

Thanks.

Brandon Draper
12-Jun-2009, 08:20
I have this same lens and the rear cap I have says Rodenstock and is a 40.5 and fits perfect, but I can't help you on the front because the one I'm using says 40.5 also and it is spread out to fit, it is very tight and a pain to put on but it is working I guess.