PDA

View Full Version : compur #3 shutter operation

dave wagstaff
11-Jun-2009, 12:08
I am just getting going in LF (have a Nagaoka 4x5) with an Acme #4 shutter and lens that is in decent working order (after a little cleaning).

I picked up a Compur #3 shutter with lens. I have done a fair bit of googling on this already but would appreciate some assistance on operation of this shutter. Is there no where to attach a cable release to the Compur shutter? Am I missing something obvious here? Also the button that (on my Acme shutter) opens the shutter does nothing here, is this part of the release? Do I require another piece?

Thanks in advance for your replies,
Dave
http://davewagstaff.com/temp_cm_for_dynax/tn__DSC6438.JPG

BrianShaw
11-Jun-2009, 12:24
Every dial-set Compur I have ever seen has a cable release port in the 10-o'clock position -- between the shutter speed dial and the TBI dial.

dave wagstaff
11-Jun-2009, 12:45
Thanks Brian, the shutter release is working fine now I know how it works . About that little button; is that broken or does it serve a different function?

Regards,
Dave

BrianShaw
11-Jun-2009, 13:03
Which "little button" are you talking about - the silver thing that protrudes from the shutter body, between the winding lever and the 'R' in COMPUR? If so, that is a flash sych... an old type that had a bayonet connection. I think that is always an aftermarket mod to that shutter.

dave wagstaff
11-Jun-2009, 13:20
Thank You Brian. You have cleared up all my questions. The shutter screw-in hole appears to be stripped, so I have only been able to get the cable release to stay in briefly a couple times. I will get it re tapped and should be good to go.

Best,
Dave

Wally
15-Jun-2009, 10:29
Thank You Brian. You have cleared up all my questions. The shutter screw-in hole appears to be stripped, so I have only been able to get the cable release to stay in briefly a couple times. I will get it re tapped and should be good to go.

Best,
Dave
I wonder if it'd prefer a non-tapered cable thread. Anyone know?

BrianShaw
15-Jun-2009, 11:00
Dave's shutter might be missing a part. My dial-set Compurs have a silver-colored "gizmo" that the cable release fits into. I can't quite tell from the photos. A regular tapered release should work fine.

Take a look at this picture:

http://www.glowbox.demon.co.uk/images/list8/large/5094oALL.jpg

dave wagstaff
15-Jun-2009, 11:56
Not having the "gizmo" was what had me confounded. I think the tapered thread on the shutter release might go in too far once it has been re tapped. Close inspection with the loupe confirms it is quite stripped. I still might try re tapping it and giving it a shot, ..will think about it for a bit. I didn't pay much for it on ebay so not a big deal, just would have been nice to have it working.

Thank you Wally and Brian, I appreciate you both shining some light on my problem.

Ernest Purdum
16-Jun-2009, 09:04
Re-tapping could be a problem I used to be in metalworking, and have looked at a lot of lists of taps, but I don't recall ever seeing the tapered cable release socket tap listed. In addition, without the "gizmo", I don't think that there is enough thickness there to tap.

I'd suggest checking with repair people to see if they have or can get the "gizmo".