PDA

View Full Version : where to get lensboards for 2 big Schneider lens

sly
10-Jun-2009, 20:30
I've aquired 2 lens - hopefully useful for my Korona 8x10 view camera.

Schneider Kreuznach Symmar-S 5.6 240 in a Compur 3 shutter and
Schneider Kreuznach Symmar 5.6/240 12/420 convertible in a Copal 3 shutter

They each weigh 2 pounds.

A routered homemade wooden lens board couldn't be strong enough for such heavy lenses, would it?

Anywhere in Canada I can get lensboards? Should I go to local metal worker and see if something could be made here?

Darren Kruger
10-Jun-2009, 20:50
A routered homemade wooden lens board couldn't be strong enough for such heavy lenses, would it?

Anywhere in Canada I can get lensboards? Should I go to local metal worker and see if something could be made here?

I would think it would depend on the wood and the size of your lens boards. I have an original wooden B&J lens board (5 1/4"x5 1/4") that fits my Korona that has a Wollensak 12" Velostigmat series II in an Alphax #5. The lens & shutter weigh over 3 pounds. Seems to work fine.

-Darren

Gene McCluney
10-Jun-2009, 22:15
A wood lensboard can hold a lens much heavier than the 2 you mention. Use good wood.
Yes you will have to route out a channel for the retainer ring on the back, but there should still be plenty of strength.

Nick_3536
10-Jun-2009, 22:24
You might consider making or having made an adapter to either Sinar or Linhoff standard lensboards. Both are fairly common. Relatively cheap. Not to mention likely smaller then your Korona.

If you ever get a different camera you'll save the hassle and cost or getting new lensboards.

Archphoto
11-Jun-2009, 04:27
I agree with Nick 3536, I have most of my lenses mouned on Technika boards and can switch them between my Sinar P2 and my Shen Hao.
The other advantage of the Techinka plates is that they are smaller and therefore take less storage space.

Wood looks nicer though......

Peter

sly
11-Jun-2009, 13:24
Have found lens board that fits. Thanks every one. Now I"ll load some film and see what I get.