PDA

View Full Version : lf lens - nikon slr adaptor?

adrian tyler
10-Jun-2009, 02:01
does anyone know of an adaptor that will allow me to use my 80 & 110 lf lenses on my nikon slr? preferably with the possibility to tilt

thanks

adrian

Archphoto
10-Jun-2009, 02:49
Some call it a TC.... but it can be used in macro modes only.
The are SLR<>TC adapters for mono-rails on ebay.

Getting focused on infinity can give a problem, as the mirrorbox of the SLR is in the way at times.

Peter

Sevo
10-Jun-2009, 04:10
Most people would call that a view camera. Given that LF lenses generally are too huge to be mountable to 35mm bellows, the usual solution for that is a SLR back panel adapter that converts the SLR into a film holder...

Sevo

Robert A. Zeichner
10-Jun-2009, 04:42
To what specific 80 and 110 are you referring? I used to know a fellow (now deceased) who would mount view camera lenses on a Leica using thier Visoflex. He also mounted longer lenses on his old Bronica using a bellows attachment they made. This system allowed for tilt. Of course in each of these cases the camera's shutter was used to make the exposure and everything had to be on a tripod. In each case, he cobbled together an adapter using filter rings and other camera parts he scrounged and made light traps with Scotch 235 tape. Not pretty, but he did turn out some wonderful photographs.

Peter De Smidt
10-Jun-2009, 04:54
I made an adapter to hang a D200 on the back of a Sinar using a Nikon macro tube and a Sinar lensboard. I used it with a 600mm APO Nikkor, and so the mirror box wasn't a problem. :)

Struan Gray
10-Jun-2009, 05:18
I have mucked around with a 90 mm on my Sinar, with Sinar-Hasselblad and Hasselblad-Pentax adapters piggybacked on the rear. Infinity focus is no big deal. Tilt is limited by the wide spread of the standards: i.e. the ends of the standards bang into each other before you get to any appreciable angle. Long lenses are fine.

With that in mind, a 6x9 view camera might make more sense than a 4x5 if you take that route.

If you want a fixed body, I think the Silvestri-type cameras would work best.

Juergen Sattler
10-Jun-2009, 05:40
The answer to your question is no - there is no adapter to mount a LF lens onto a DSLT (no matter which brand). You can however mount your Nikon on the back of your LF camera with a modified graflok back.

Bob Salomon
10-Jun-2009, 06:12
The answer to your question is no - there is no adapter to mount a LF lens onto a DSLT (no matter which brand). You can however mount your Nikon on the back of your LF camera with a modified graflok back.

Actually there is. Wista makes the Technical Rail II system. This thing takes LF lenses (usually digital types) on Linhof/Wista boards and has the same front movements as a Wista RF camera. The front standard has an interchangeable bellows and the rear section, with the proper adapter, mounts to any DSLR or 35mm or most MF SLR camera bodies. It also has view camera movements on the back and full rack and pinion focusing. An adapter is available to convert the back to 6x9cm to make the Technical Rail II into a 6x9cm view camera.

Dan Fromm
10-Jun-2009, 06:59
Simple adapter with no tilt? Send money to www.skgrimes.com, but pretty pointless. Nikon makes fine 85 and 105 mm lenses.

Adapter with tilt? Zoerkendorfer, sold as Zork. Search for 'em. For enough money, skgrimes will make an equivalent for you.

The 80 may be impossible with tilt because of back focus considerations. Nikon F flange-to-film distance is 46.50 mm, y'r 80's rear element-to-film distance may not allow enough room for a tilt mechanism.

If you have a 4x5 view camera, cropping is probably the better option. You do know about scissors, don't you?

adrian tyler
10-Jun-2009, 23:53
thanks for the help, i have the 85mm nikon lens but i need to control perspective for a a big, complicated commercial job (macro) and unfortunately there is no way film, development scanning and retouching come into the economic equasion, even if there were a consistent quality lab left here in madrid.

looks like the graflock/nikon backs come in at around 299$ for a non-sliding model to 1800$ fot the sliding one, thanks for the advice.

http://www.fotodiox.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=698

http://www.camerafusion.com/

NikNak
11-Jun-2009, 04:26
Is it worth looking at the PB-6 http://www.europe-nikon.com/product/en_GB/products/broad/277/overview.html
I think it gives some tilt and shift but I have only used the older version.
Nick

Carsten Wolff
11-Jun-2009, 05:51
I made a simple and quick one a while back for my Arca. Took me less than an hour and cost me nothing as I already had everything I needed lying about.
I just got an old extension tube, drilled a ~45mm wide central hole into 2mm thick sheet of aluminium, which I had cut to 171x171mm size (an old lens/backboard would also do :)) and screwed the tube over the hole. A bit of black neoprene and that was that. There are Chinese made adapters on the bay.....like mine, they really just convert your View-camera to one with a DSLR on the back and are as far as adapters go, not the tiny, elegant piece of engineering you may envisage, but do the job (If your camera is precise enough).

best,

Carsten

Bob Salomon
11-Jun-2009, 06:21
thanks for the help, i have the 85mm nikon lens but i need to control perspective for a a big, complicated commercial job (macro) and unfortunately there is no way film, development scanning and retouching come into the economic equasion, even if there were a consistent quality lab left here in madrid.

looks like the graflock/nikon backs come in at around 299$ for a non-sliding model to 1800$ fot the sliding one, thanks for the advice.

http://www.fotodiox.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=698

http://www.camerafusion.com/

Why not rent a lens and lens board for your view camera? And do you really mean that you need to control perspective? Or the plane of focus? or image shape? or both image shape and plane of focus?

To change perspective just change the angle of your camera to the subject, to control plane of focus tilt or swing your lens. To control image shape tilt or swing the camera's back. To control plane of focus and image shape do back movements only. Or back and front combined.

adrian tyler
14-Jun-2009, 05:49
Why not rent a lens and lens board for your view camera? And do you really mean that you need to control perspective? Or the plane of focus? or image shape? or both image shape and plane of focus?

To change perspective just change the angle of your camera to the subject, to control plane of focus tilt or swing your lens. To control image shape tilt or swing the camera's back. To control plane of focus and image shape do back movements only. Or back and front combined.

thanks bob, i use the nikon new "e" pc lenses but i'd like to get my d3x on the back of my technika for more "flexible" control over plane of focus.

Jeff Keller
14-Jun-2009, 10:36
Mirex makes adapters to mount medium format lenses on various cameras and provides some tilt/shift. The Novoflex BALPRO T/S system also provides various pieces. I don't know of any that specifically adapt LF lenses. If the rear element is small you could probably find the pieces to do it.

Forget trying to do T/S with an adapted wide angle lens. There isn't enough distance beyond the camera's lens mount to fit an adapter between the camera and the lens.

It would probably be more cost effective to just use your LF gear. Good luck,
Jeff Keller

Bob Salomon
14-Jun-2009, 11:08
Mirex makes adapters to mount medium format lenses on various cameras and provides some tilt/shift. The Novoflex BALPRO T/S system also provides various pieces. I don't know of any that specifically adapt LF lenses. If the rear element is small you could probably find the pieces to do it.

Forget trying to do T/S with an adapted wide angle lens. There isn't enough distance beyond the camera's lens mount to fit an adapter between the camera and the lens.

It would probably be more cost effective to just use your LF gear. Good luck,
Jeff Keller

The BALPRO T/S and the BALPRO 1 do not take large format lenses. They use 35mm, DSLR, MF and special Novoflex lenses. Only the Novoflex ones will reach infinity. The Wista system accepts some large format lenses.