PDA

View Full Version : 90mm nikkor or angulons

Gary John Ritson
6-Jun-2009, 04:53
Can anyone give a bit of advice about nikkor SW 90 mm compared to super angulons? Or any other 90mm that would go in the region of $600? Perhaps rodenstock 6.8 !!! Any help would be great with regard to coatings, image circle, sharpness contrast.
Thanks
Gary

Ron Marshall
6-Jun-2009, 06:46
I have the Nikon 90 f8, sharp, lightweight, and f8 is not a problem.

Ivan J. Eberle
6-Jun-2009, 07:26
I too have a Nikon SW f/8, which actually fits my camera (Meridian 45B) whereas the faster version Nikon and the SA would not fit through the front standard without disassembly owing to larger diameter rear cells. As well, the SW f/8 version on a flat board fits in my camera folded closed. Admittedly it isn't the easiest lens to focus, but the results are extremely sharp and contrasty.

IanG
6-Jun-2009, 08:37
The Super Angulogs are superb lenses, I have an f5.6 version, but then the Grandagon f6.8 or f4.5 lenses are equally as good, There's a 90mm Caltar that is just a re-badged Grandagon they usually sell for a little less. $600 will get you an excellent 90mm and you might even have some change :D

Ian

Eric Brody
6-Jun-2009, 13:48
See my answer to the same question, by the same poster in the photo.net forum.

Eric

Lynn Jones
6-Jun-2009, 14:26
I've tested just about all of the WA lenses. I think that the SA and Fujinon f 5.6's are the best, of the f 8's, I prefer the old Calumet WF Caltar, followed by the Fujinon and SA's.

Lynn

Miguel Curbelo
7-Jun-2009, 02:13
[QUOTE]I have the Nikon 90 f8, sharp, lightweight, and f8 is not a problem./QUOTE]
That's my case, too.

Steve Goldstein
7-Jun-2009, 06:10
I've tested just about all of the WA lenses. I think that the SA and Fujinon f 5.6's are the best, of the f 8's, I prefer the old Calumet WF Caltar, followed by the Fujinon and SA's.

Lynn

What were the primary differences that led you to your conclusions? I'm not arguing, but curious. It's a rare treat when someone who actually knows something about optics chimes in on one of these "what's the best.." threads.

Thank you.

Duane Polcou
7-Jun-2009, 11:38
Gary,
Definitely check out this web page http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/testing.html.

Basically a chart for lens performance according to manufacturer (Zeiss, Goerz, Bausch and Lomb, Wollensak, Caltar, Kodak, Ilex, Congo, Fuji, Rodenstock, Schneider, Nikon), focal length, coverage, lpm resolution, weight, shutter, serial numbers, etc.

I don't buy a used lens without consulting this page.

Gary John Ritson
22-Jun-2009, 08:41
Thanks for all your replies. As I've used Nikon lenses for a number of years now on 35mm and been very happy with build and pictures I have had the opportunity to stick with a Nikkor 90mm 4.5 for the amount I was looking to spend. Thanks again. Gary

Drew Wiley
22-Jun-2009, 18:06
When I was confronted with the same choice, the 90/4.5 SW Nikkor was reputed to
be the pick of the litter. A number of knowledgable people recommended it, and it
certainly seems a tad sharper than the SA to me, and is obviously a bit brighter.
It goes well with the 3b 82mm Schneider center filter.

Don Hutton
22-Jun-2009, 18:26
When I was confronted with the same choice, the 90/4.5 SW Nikkor was reputed to
be the pick of the litter. A number of knowledgable people recommended it, and it
certainly seems a tad sharper than the SA to me, and is obviously a bit brighter.
It goes well with the 3b 82mm Schneider center filter.
The 3b has a 67mm thread. I believe you may be referring to the 3D.

Drew Wiley
22-Jun-2009, 19:37
Sorry Don. The correct 82mm center filter is a Schneider IV, with virtually perfect
illumination of field on the SW 4.5. I also own a IIIb for a different lens, so got them confused.