PDA

View Full Version : Ebony 45SU vs EBONY SV45U2

Greg Liscio
5-Jun-2009, 13:59
The 45SU is not a folding camera, the SV45U2 is and has both base and center tilt.

My questions
- On the 45SU, what do I miss by having only center tilt axis on the front standard?

- Is the SV45S2 any less rigid than the 45SU because it has more moving parts?

- How much of a difference does the additional 225mm of bellows on the SV45SU2 vs 590mm (with bellows extended). Does the extra bellows length of the SV45U2 come more into play when I do macro photos?

Thanks all

Eric James
5-Jun-2009, 14:24
I have shot with the SV45U2 and found it to be very stable, even racked out for focusing a 450mm lens.

You can use a 180mm lens for 1:1 shooting on the 45SU - does this satisfy your macro needs? For me, advantage goes to the SV45U2 for it's ability to use longer lenses, such as the Fuji 450mm C. With Schneider's new 350mm Tele Xenar offering this advantage is somewhat diminished; you'll be able to focus this lens on the 45SU.

Will you be backpacking with your camera? The SV45U2 probably requires less protection when folded, but it weighs a pound more than the 45SU.

Steve Hamley
5-Jun-2009, 14:37
- On the 45SU, what do I miss by having only center tilt axis on the front standard

You can't articulate the standard to get more or less extension. Here's the link showing how to get less "extension", but you can also do it in reverse for longer lenses.

http://www.ebonycamera.com/articles/wa.lenses.SV.html

- Is the SV45S2 any less rigid than the 45SU because it has more moving parts?

In theory yes, but that's about all. In my experience the thing that seems to get wooden field cameras wobbly is too much extension without enough tripod.

- How much of a difference does the additional 225mm of bellows on the SV45SU2 vs 590mm (with bellows extended). Does the extra bellows length of the SV45U2 come more into play when I do macro photos?

If you shoot longer lenses, yes, you need the bellows, but this is pretty much a matter of taste. I can barely focus a 19" Artar at infinity on my SV45U (NOT U2) by articulating the standards. Most true 4x5 macro lenses are around 120mm, so no to the second question if you do it the way the lens manufacturers intended and you're happy with 1:1 or a little more. If you want to shoot longer lenses up close, then yes depending on how long and how close. 1:1 means you will need about twice the bellows draw of the focal length.

Cheers, Steve

Greg Liscio
7-Jun-2009, 15:39
Is the 45SU awkward to carry in a bag/backpack because it does not fold? Would it be more susceptible to damage?

Michael Mutmansky
7-Jun-2009, 16:18
Greg,

I don't think so. It's only more prone to damage compared to a camera like a Toyo 45A that has a ground glass protector hood. Since most wood folding cameras don't have that protector hood either, it is no more at risk than any other wood folder in my opinion.

(Full disclosure... I'm planning on putting a 45SU on the site for sale in the next day or so).

---Michael

timparkin
8-Jun-2009, 01:00
I have a 45SU and it fits rather nearly inside most large lowepro rucksacks. The ease of deployment is probably the biggest advantage of the non-folder.

Tim