PDA

View Full Version : ballhead issues

dh003i
4-Jun-2009, 20:11
I tried a smaller Bogen Manfrotto QR ballhead. Compared to my Bogen 3030, I found it unsatisfactory. With my 3030 (and probably the 3039 which I just got on eBay), adjusting it to precisely the right position is easy. The knobs seem to have a nice fluid variable tension. So I can loosen the tension somewhat, but not completely, precisely position he 3-way head the way I want it, the tighten the knobs one-by-one. I can do this without my position being significantly affected.

Now, if I have the ballhead loose enough to be fluidly moving, I notice a few things: (a) Because of the freedom of motion and inability to move exclusively on one plane, positioning as I want is difficult; (b) After I have it positioned, while I'm moving my hand to he locking lever, it is very easy for the position to change. Basically, my other hand has to support the cam exactly as it is, or it moves.

Now, I could adjust the tension on the ball too, so that it doesn't move as freely and stays in place with reasonable weight on it, unless pushed; but then the moving of the ball doesn't seem as fluid.

I found it easier to photograph a family of geese (who were trying to escape me), with my 3-D Bogen 3030, than with my Bogen ballhead.

Have others had this kind of issue? Are there ballheads out there that don't suffer from this? I read something about "variable tension" on the "Really Right Stuff" heads?

Peter De Smidt
4-Jun-2009, 20:15
This is an issue with all ball heads, although the really good ones, such as an Arca b1 or Really Right Stuff Head, will minimize it.

dh003i
4-Jun-2009, 20:45
Why do they even exist in the cheaper varieties, then? I'm really amazed anyone buys them.

I got my Bogen 3030 for less than $60 on eBay. And it's easier to position (with all handles loosened slightly) than a $70 Bogen ballhead! I'm sure the 3039, with reviews of it's smooth movement and it's large support, will blow the ballhead away.

rdenney
4-Jun-2009, 21:17
Why do they even exist in the cheaper varieties, then? I'm really amazed anyone buys them.

I got my Bogen 3030 for less than $60 on eBay. And it's easier to position (with all handles loosened slightly) than a $70 Bogen ballhead! I'm sure the 3039, with reviews of it's smooth movement and it's large support, will blow the ballhead away.

It will. I have one, but lately I've been using an old Pre-B1 Monoball, which is bigger than a B1 but not quite as big as a B1g. A tilting head would be better for a view camera than either. The 3039, like the other Bogen 3-way heads, stands rather tall and if I pack it in luggage consumes a lot of space. The Monoball is more compact.

My only issue with the Monoball is leveling.

I think I would love a geared head for use with the view camera, but I really like the Monoball for medium and small format.

I like Manfrotto stuff in general, but their ballheads are not wonderful. If you are going to use a ballhead, invest in a good one. Otherwise, you're better off with a 3-way or simple tilt head.

Rick "who has to tighten the Monoball tight not to move with the Sinar" Denney

Peter De Smidt
4-Jun-2009, 21:35
They exist in cheaper varieties because for some purposes the cheaper heads work fine, and many people don't want to pay for one of the better heads. I have a Bogen 3055 ball head. I don't like it very much. The hex quick release is poor, the head iseither locked or completely loose, and the pan paddle is shaped exactly the same as the ball release... but it was only $45 when I bought it, and when locked it holds the camera quite firmly. I still use it occasionally in conjunction with a super clamp to put the camera in unusual places. My B1, though, is a much better ball head, as it should be since it costs 10 times more. Nonetheless, I prefer other heads for large format, either a Bogen 410 geared head, a Sinar Pan/tilt head, or a Gitzo Rational Series 5 head. All of these do some things better than the Arca (or any ball head), and vice versa. For example, try shooting sports with a super telephoto on a three way head.

Rick, if you have a round rail Sinar, you really should pick up one of the Sinar pan/tilt heads. It's a great combo. The camera will not spin inadvertantly on the head.

rdenney
5-Jun-2009, 00:26
Rick, if you have a round rail Sinar, you really should pick up one of the Sinar pan/tilt heads. It's a great combo. The camera will not spin inadvertantly on the head.

I've looked at them. But so far, the prices I've seen are a bit dear. I can live with the Monoball until I see something for my price.

Rick "who has spent enough for now" Denney

Paul O
5-Jun-2009, 03:30
I was an avid user of the Manfrotto 410 geared head (not sure of the Bogen Model No). I have tried ball heads (Gitzo and Manfrotto) but always found them to be tricky to level. I chanced upon the Arca SWiss B2 and have found the ideal set-up for me! Its design allows friction to be controlled and the ball is moveable in seperate (lockable) planes which means that levelling is as simple as a pan/tilt head. I combine it with a Gitzo 1325 CF.