PDA

View Full Version : longest lens with shen hao bag bellows?

thafred
4-Jun-2009, 01:27
Hi,

I finaly have my Shen Hao PTB "Chamonix-clone" and I´m quite happy with the camera.
however, I found that using shift with the 90mm SA compresses the bellows so much that there´s stress on the front standard so I´m thinking of buying the bag bellows for it. the SA sits on a flat lensboard and I rather leave it that way.

My question is, since the longest lens I´m using is 150mm Symmar, can I leave the bag bellows on the camera all the time or do I have to switch to standard bellows for using the lens in landscape/architecture situatons? (alot of shift, little tilt but not focused closer than 2m most of the time)

thanks for the help
best
fred

Archphoto
4-Jun-2009, 04:28
It will greatly depend on the bellows, I have a bag bellows for my Sinar and can use it for my 150mm with ease, still have to get a bag bellows for my Shen Hao.

I would give it a try, you (and I) will need the bag bellows for the short lenses anyway.

Peter

thafred
4-Jun-2009, 04:45
"you (and I) will need the bag bellows for the short lenses anyway."

thats probably true Peter, just wondering if anyone tried it allready (since there are so many Shen Hao users around)

fred

Archphoto
4-Jun-2009, 06:31
I know, I am waiting for answers aswell !

Peter

Lachlan 717
4-Jun-2009, 15:40
Why not send My Zhang Fuming an email and ask him (zhangfm@online.sh.cn)?

Even if he is able to give you a max bag length, you could probably extrapolate this against the 150mm's film to flange distance.

He's always been very helpful when I have dealt with him.

Lachlan.

Archphoto
4-Jun-2009, 16:32
And post the answer here, please ?

Peter

Turner Reich
4-Jun-2009, 16:45
Yes you can.

vinny
4-Jun-2009, 19:57
Speaking from experience, a 210mm is about the longest usable lens at infinity with the shen hao leather bag bellows. You'll be fine with your 150 and should be okay with leaving the bellows on the camera at all times. Just make sure the leather hasn't sagged into the frame before you take your shot.

thafred
4-Jun-2009, 23:46
thank you Vinny, that´s the info I was looking out for! I´ll get the bag bellows then.

Just browsed your Website and I really love the images. the "Manzanita in Tunnel" image struck me the most, probably the best double exposure I´ve ever seen!

shadowleaves
23-Jun-2009, 13:38
Hi,

I finaly have my Shen Hao PTB "Chamonix-clone" and I´m quite happy with the camera.
however, I found that using shift with the 90mm SA compresses the bellows so much that there´s stress on the front standard so I´m thinking of buying the bag bellows for it. the SA sits on a flat lensboard and I rather leave it that way.

My question is, since the longest lens I´m using is 150mm Symmar, can I leave the bag bellows on the camera all the time or do I have to switch to standard bellows for using the lens in landscape/architecture situatons? (alot of shift, little tilt but not focused closer than 2m most of the time)

thanks for the help
best
fred

shen hao bag bellow works for my APO-Symmar 150mm lens which should be similar to yours in terms of flange distance. of course you might have troubles with the bellow length when doing macro photography with the 150 due to excessive lens extension.