PDA

View Full Version : Cokin Filters

Santo Roman
4-Jun-2009, 00:11
I was looking at the Cokin site http://www.cokin.com/ico15-A.html and noticed that they have a set of filters just for LF cameras. Now I picked up the the "A" series for my nikkor 135mm (size 52mm), should have I picked up the X-pro or Z-pro series like they suggest? I mean, I'm not using a wide angle and the thing covers the lens. Any thoughts?

santo

Joanna Carter
4-Jun-2009, 00:52
I was looking at the Cokin site http://www.cokin.com/ico15-A.html and noticed that they have a set of filters just for LF cameras. Now I picked up the the "A" series for my nikkor 135mm (size 52mm), should have I picked up the X-pro or Z-pro series like they suggest? I mean, I'm not using a wide angle and the thing covers the lens. Any thoughts?
Most LF photographers use, at least, 100mm filters (Z-Pro). However, it's not just a case of which filter holder to buy, it's also down to the quality of the filters that are available. Personally, I now use and sell Lee filters, simply because I have wasted too much money already on cheaper brands. Cokin may be OK for effect filters but, when it comes to ND filters, there really isn't any point in using Cokin because they suffer from a strong magenta cast.

Although the 'A' series may be sufficient for some of the smaller lenses, it could be a false economy to build a system around such a small size when, in the future, you might want to buy a lens that requires a larger filter and that would mean having to duplicate all the filters you already have? The benefit of slot filter systems is that you only have to buy one set of filters regardless of the lenses you choose.

Stephen Lewis
4-Jun-2009, 00:55
Hi Santo

Two points here. Firstly, if the 'A' series filters cover your lens adequately i.e without vignetting, then that's fine. However, things may start getting tight if you move to a lens with a larger front element.

Secondly, it's been my experience that certain filters in the Cokin 'A' and 'P' series are not made to the same standards as those in the 'X-Pro' or 'Z-Pro' series. Colour casts and inconsistencies are not uncommon.

However, if the filters you have are giving you what you want, then stick with them. HTH

Santo Roman
4-Jun-2009, 09:10
Thanks guys. I only spent a few dollars or pounds on the a 3 filter set for B/W so I'll shoot a few things to see what happens. If it does not work, I'll be upgrading to the X or the Z. Thanks again.

santo

Joanna Carter
4-Jun-2009, 09:25
... I'll be upgrading to the X or the Z
Beware the X-Pro, this is a superb holder but it takes 130mm filters !!! The Z-Pro is more usual unless you've got very large wide-angle lenses :)

kaiyen
4-Jun-2009, 09:49
I use the P series on my "other format" cameras with Hi-Tech ND grads, which seem to be pretty neutral to me. I am crossing my fingers that they'll still be okay for my LF lenses. But that is an option - using other brand filters in a Cokin P size.

I wish I had gone Lee at the outset but am now too heavily invested in the P series.

Joanna Carter
4-Jun-2009, 09:56
I use the P series on my "other format" cameras with Hi-Tech ND grads, which seem to be pretty neutral to me.
The neutrality of Hitech ND filters used to be good but recently they seem to be more magenta.

I am crossing my fingers that they'll still be okay for my LF lenses. But that is an option - using other brand filters in a Cokin P size.
I believe Lee will custom make filters to other sizes; the only limit on the P system is whether it is large enough for the wider angle LF lenses.

bvstaples
4-Jun-2009, 11:41
I've used Cokin NDs and filters for B&W, and now I have Lee filters. To me there is a difference, and in hind site I should have just invested in the Lee's in the first place (at least as far as the NDs go).

Just my humble opinion.

Brian

Stephen Lewis
4-Jun-2009, 14:07
It's not uncommon for filters like neutral density filters to 'go off' over a period of time, depending on the uasge and the manufacturer's QC. I have noticed it with some of my Lee filters in the past, and it's one of the reasons Lee now put the filter creation date on the filters.

kaiyen
4-Jun-2009, 15:49
you mean for them to become less neutral? perhaps due to exposure to the sun changing the dyed color?

Stephen Lewis
5-Jun-2009, 00:48
you mean for them to become less neutral? perhaps due to exposure to the sun changing the dyed color?

Yes. I understand Lee offer a 're-dipping' service for your existing filters. However, by the time mine have 'gone off' they usually have a few scratches on them, and it's easier to replace them.