PDA

View Full Version : Lens caps?

Darin Boville
3-Jun-2009, 22:16
I need a few lens caps but don't know the sizes--all I have are kid rulers in the house. Is the info online somewhere--I see the chart with front filter size but...?

I have a Schneider 150 convertible and a Fuji 90mm sw f/8 (modern, with writing on the outside of barrel).

I need the push on ones since the Fuji glass sits very near the rim...

Thanks,

--Darin

John Schneider
3-Jun-2009, 22:37
Some of the information is online, but do yourself a favor and get a good set of dial calipers. You'll find it useful for more than just measuring filter threads (e.g., when you mount a barrel lens in shutter, you want to assume that the cell spacing is the same). I'm partial to Starrett or Mitutoyo, and even top quality brands like these can be found cheaply on the 'Bay if you're patient.

Toyon
4-Jun-2009, 06:09
Be careful, Kaiser advertises lens caps sizes based on their inside dimensions. Decent push-on caps though. Most old-style camera stores have a box of used caps. See if they will let you rummage through them and find the caps you need.

Bob Salomon
4-Jun-2009, 07:47
Be careful, Kaiser advertises lens caps sizes based on their inside dimensions. Decent push-on caps though. Most old-style camera stores have a box of used caps. See if they will let you rummage through them and find the caps you need.

All push-on caps are measured by their inside dimension. What you have to be careful of is that you order a push-on cap based on the outer diameter of the lens. Not by the filter thread.

drew.saunders
4-Jun-2009, 11:16
I needed a couple of push-on caps for my c. 1950 Zeiss lens, so I brought it with me to Keeble & Shuchat in Palo Alto and they brought out some of the Kaiser caps and we tested until I found the two that fit. Since you're not that far away, it might be worth the trip.

Bob Salomon
4-Jun-2009, 11:41
I need a few lens caps but don't know the sizes--all I have are kid rulers in the house. Is the info online somewhere--I see the chart with front filter size but...?

I have a Schneider 150 convertible and a Fuji 90mm sw f/8 (modern, with writing on the outside of barrel).

I need the push on ones since the Fuji glass sits very near the rim...

Thanks,

--Darin

The Symmar 150mm used 51mm push-on caps and 49 x 0.75 screw-in filters and caps.

Darin Boville
4-Jun-2009, 22:16
Hey Drew,

Good idea. Do you remember what they charged for the caps? I've had bad luck there--trying to patronize my "local" camera store (45 minutes away!). I don't mind paying a little extra but K&S, at least on the things I buy, are too high...

--Darin

I needed a couple of push-on caps for my c. 1950 Zeiss lens, so I brought it with me to Keeble & Shuchat in Palo Alto and they brought out some of the Kaiser caps and we tested until I found the two that fit. Since you're not that far away, it might be worth the trip.

Darin Boville
4-Jun-2009, 22:17
Thanks to all. especially good idae about waiting until i figure out what I'm doing regarding step-up rings, filters, etc. I hadn't focused on that...

--Darin

drew.saunders
5-Jun-2009, 09:13
Hey Drew,

Good idea. Do you remember what they charged for the caps? I've had bad luck there--trying to patronize my "local" camera store (45 minutes away!). I don't mind paying a little extra but K&S, at least on the things I buy, are too high...

--Darin

They were in the $10-12 range if I remember correctly.

Darin Boville
5-Jun-2009, 10:48
They were in the $10-12 range if I remember correctly.

Cool. Thanks.

--Darin

Bob Salomon
5-Jun-2009, 11:26
Cool. Thanks.

--Darin

K&S as well as Bear Images not only have the Kaiser caps but they both have a large range of professional quality cable releases.

rdenney
5-Jun-2009, 14:50
Some of the information is online, but do yourself a favor and get a good set of dial calipers. You'll find it useful for more than just measuring filter threads (e.g., when you mount a barrel lens in shutter, you want to assume that the cell spacing is the same). I'm partial to Starrett or Mitutoyo, and even top quality brands like these can be found cheaply on the 'Bay if you're patient.

For these sorts of measurements, even the plastic calipers at an auto parts store would be adequate.

I recently bought a bunch of lens caps from KEH, measuring with an old vernier calipers in inches and converting to millimeters, rounding to the nearest millimeter. I was able to find nearly all of the front caps in the lens's brand, and they were all a perfect fit. Not cheap, but I only have to buy them once.

Rick "clip-in caps work on the front cells, too" Denney