PDA

View Full Version : Since we're on the topic of tripods...

iamjanco
3-Jun-2009, 20:25
Hi folks. I'm not looking for a tripod per se, but would like to know your thoughts on the following setup, which I already own. I plan on trying it with my newly received Norma 4x5 in the field, once a QR plate gets here from Really Right Stuff:

Gitzo GT3541LS (#39 rating)
Markins M20-NQS head (#100 rating)
RRS B2 LR II: 60mm LR clamp

It's been great with my DSLR and RB67, and is exceptionally light, and great on hikes. When extra stability is needed, I hang a sandbag filled with some dirt or rocks (which I get on site) from a hook mounted underneath the platform. It's not a wooden tripod, mind you, but with the optional weight, I think it'll work well with the monorail.

What do you guys think?

Ta,

Jan C.

Peter De Smidt
3-Jun-2009, 20:28
It sounds fine, although I'm not familiar with the Markins head.

Drew Wiley
3-Jun-2009, 20:37
I suspect the RB67 is more difficult to stabilize than the Norma, which can be
adjusted for center-point balance. And view camera lens shutters are generally a lot
more gentle than MF mirror/shutter combinations. Should be fine.

Sheldon N
3-Jun-2009, 21:58
Should do just fine. I use a Gitzo 1325 and a Markins M20 with my Arca Swiss 4x5 and it works great.

Frank Petronio
4-Jun-2009, 04:35
Nice sticks If you can swing it, the ultimate head for the Sinar is the dedicated pan-tilt head that Sinar makes. While the quality ball head is probably plenty sturdy, the Sinar head is a beautifully made product that is probably the most secure head ever -- while still being simple, compact, and lightweight. Probably the most elegant thing Sinar ever made, it should go into an industrial design museum itself.

iamjanco
12-Jun-2009, 14:08
Nice sticks If you can swing it, the ultimate head for the Sinar is the dedicated pan-tilt head that Sinar makes. While the quality ball head is probably plenty sturdy, the Sinar head is a beautifully made product that is probably the most secure head ever -- while still being simple, compact, and lightweight. Probably the most elegant thing Sinar ever made, it should go into an industrial design museum itself.

Took your advice, Frank, and glad I did. I managed to find a Sinar head in excellent shape for a really good price. It arrived today, and boy, is it a monster. Solid as a rock. So much so, that I wouldn't even be afraid to mount me on it.

Wait a minute... that doesn't sound right.

Jan C.