PDA

View Full Version : Gitzo Gt4330LS with GH5380 ball head. first impression.

boris
2-Jun-2009, 08:14
after a long research i bought a new tripod. http://www.bogenimaging.us/Jahia/site/bius/pid/6780?kindOfProductCollectionRequest=productDetail&productCode=GT4330LS&productDescription=SER.4%20ALU.%20SYSTEMATIC%203S.%20LONG&curBrandId=BGI&market=MKT1
i had a berlebach reporter tripod bevor, but it was to weak for a technika 5x7 with a 500mm lens. by accident i got a linhof profi III but it is to heavy for my needs. i have to carry all my gear and the tripod on a bike, so the tripod have to be compact, relative lightweight and stable. my new tripod with is more than adequate for my needs. it weights 3900 gr. the berlebach weights 2900 and the linhof about 11kg! :cool: )
each tripod is great; the berlebach is relatively cheap and good enough for a lightweight 5x7. the linhof tripod is exellent in every sense. the best quickrelease system and a tremendous head (4kg.). a very solid feel ! (it's a linhof)
a few facts about the gitzo combo. build quality is very good, but you can feel that it was build to be light. the twistlooks weights about a 1/10 of the linhof twistlock ( brass with ballbearings!! ) the gitzo is basic compared to the linhof system.

pros
tripod: compact, very stable, well build easy to carry and operate. it is cheap :o compared to the carbon line :D
head: very smooth, fast to operate, lightweight and very compact ( no handle )

cons:
compared to the linhof but also to the manfrotto's QR systems, i find it more time-consuming to operate. i have to admit, that the system is new to me and after a while i will probably get used to it. i think it i very similar to the arca swiss system.

i will add a few pics of the tripods that i am talking about

boris
2-Jun-2009, 08:19
some more pics

Frank Petronio
2-Jun-2009, 09:14
Thank you, I haven't seen either of those models before and that head is particularly interesting -- it looks so light yet strong -- maybe Gitzo finally got their ballheads right?