PDA

View Full Version : Cutting down 8x10 film to 5x7

Don Hutton
28-May-2009, 10:31
I need to cut some 5x7 from 8x10 sheets (you can't get everything in 5x7...). Any advice or tips? I'll be using a Rotatrim - should I keep the plastic holder of the Rototrim on or take it off? Face up/down? Any clever ideas for notching?

Many thanks.

Eric Woodbury
28-May-2009, 10:57
I did this once with Tech pan. I had a guillotine cutter than had a clamp. It would hold many sheets of film or prints at a whack. Worked fine. Be sure to save the notch on at least half of the film. Carefully identify the box when done.

Sal Santamaura
28-May-2009, 11:19
Scroll 2/3 of the way down this page

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/5x7.html

and read how Tuan does it.

Dave Aharonian
28-May-2009, 11:22
Don, I bought a Rotatrim for this exact reason - cutting down 8x10 to 5x7. I leave the plastic holder on as it doesn't seem to cause any issues. I spent some time setting up the adjustable slider to the correct position, then I cut the film with the emulsion side up. For consistency I place the notches against the slider. I don't wear any gloves but I do wash my hands beforehand. So far it has worked great. No fingerprints or scratches. The first batch was a hair too wide and didn't fit the holders very well, but that was my fault for not being precise with my set-up. Once its cut, half the sheets have the notch on the side. The other sheets have no notch at all but I'm really careful to make sure I keep the emulsion side up. So far so good!

Dave

eric black
28-May-2009, 12:56
I use the methods mentioned by the others here an use a hold punch to apply the notch by taking a slight cut into the normal emulsion marking corner. It takes a couple of minutes of practice to get going but Im starting to get pretty good at it.

Jay Wolfe
28-May-2009, 13:16
I leave the plastic guide on and use it to with finger pressure to hold the film in place when cutting. I cut emulsion side up. Use a spare 5x7 film to set the cutting guide for both dimensions. Since you are going from 8x10 to 5x7, leave the notches on the surviving film; otherwise, cut a 45 degree/quarter inch piece off the corner where the notches normally would be.