PDA

View Full Version : 38mm Goerz Aerogor

S. Preston Jones
27-May-2009, 12:23
I have a 38mm f/4.5 Goerz Aerogor, coated lens in a synchro-compur shutter in ex++ condition. I know it is a WA and I was told that it was made based on the Biogon formula. I have not been able to find any info on it. I do not have a camera which focuses close enough to use it. I would appreciate any info and thoughts of it's value. Looking at the aerial image with an 8 power magnifier, it covers 6x6 and maybe somewhat larger. The image is contrasty and very sharp.
Preston

Dan Fromm
27-May-2009, 14:06
It is a 38/4.5 Biogon made under license for the USAF.

38 Biogons were also made by Viewlex (Viewgon) and perhaps also Pacific Optical. I've seen a Pacific Optical 38 Biogon whose owner thinks that it is normal ordinary Zeiss elements remounted by P.O.

I have a Zeiss 38/4.5 Biogon made for a UK aerial camera, reshuttered by Grimes. It covers 84 mm with good sharpness and illumination, goes black at around 86 mm. I use mine on a Century Graphic. On 2x3 it makes a nice wide panorama with black corners.

If you have the right camera -- thin enough press camera with drop bed, monorail that will go thin enough -- use your Aerogor on it.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

S. Preston Jones
1-Jun-2009, 18:08
Dan, I have too many lenses and too many cameras. To use this lens, I need another camera. What would be a good selling price for this lens. It is in great shape,EX+.

Preston

Dan Fromm
2-Jun-2009, 02:54
Preston, I have no idea where the market for these things is. They're not common. I vaguely recall that Alpa asked over $4k for the last 38/4.5 Biogons they sold, could be mistaken. In a fair world, your lens should bring a little less than a Hassy SWA.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan