PDA

View Full Version : Compur #00 controls

rdenney
27-May-2009, 12:17
I've spent a little time poking around in my ruinously disassembled Compur #00, and I've been trying to figure something out. I can't find anything on the web to explain it, so I'll ask.

The Synchro-Compur #00 that my 47/5.6 SA was mounted in has a control for the flash synch with three options on the control: M, X, and V. I cannot get the control to slide over to the V with the shutter either cocked or released, and I don't know what it means in any case (I know what M and X mean).

I was thinking that maybe it was a viewing control to open the shutter for viewing. With that lens, I've been using B with a locking cable release--there is no T on that shutter. On the Compur #2 (another strange one) in which my older 121/8 Super Angulon is mounted, the viewing mechanism is a catch that one holds in place when releasing the shutter, and it holds the shutter open until the shutter cocking lever is nudged.

I have an old and cheap 65/8 SA on the way that will donate its Compur #00 shutter for use with my 47, in anticipation that the f-stop scale will transfer easily. I expect it to have the same control, so I'm curious to figure out what it means and how to use it.

Rick "hoping to put that 47 into service" Denney

BrianShaw
27-May-2009, 12:28
"V" is self-timer in German. The "slide over to the V" is a winding of the self-timer... so it's a bit more than a 'slide'. If it is really difficult to wind the self-timer then something may not be right with it. In fact, attempts to use the self-time could jam up the shutter.

Brian "who has made the mistake of DIY overhauling several OO Synchro Compurs and knows both your current and future pain but has successfully put all back into useful service" Shaw

:)

BrianShaw
27-May-2009, 12:29
p.s. IMPORTANT: Shutter must be cocked before attempting to invoke the V function.

mrladewig
27-May-2009, 13:01
Yup. Same as Brian said. The "V" is a self timer function on the Synchro Compurs and you have to cock the shutter first. Once the shutter is cocked, there is still resistance to cock the self timer. All of my #0 and #00 shutters have that feature.

Mel-

rdenney
27-May-2009, 13:17
Thanks. The shutter was cocked when I attempt to mess with it, and it moved only partway. That was not the reason for disassembling it, but I'll know not to mess with it with future shutters--I don't have a need for a self-timer.

My attempt with that shutter was to remove the timing train, flush it out with solvent, lubricate it with watch oil, and reinstall it. I've done it before. One of the screws that holds the timing train in place, however, also holds the plates together, and I nudged it such that the plates separated enough for the gear pins to come out of their bushings. I have overhauled many a clock, but I was completely unsuccessful attempting to reassemble the timing train. And now I've slept and have no memory of how the levers are oriented.

I would like to be able to say that this is the first time I've been unable to reassemble something I've taken apart, but alas...

Rick "using the carcass for exploration at this point" Denney

BrianShaw
27-May-2009, 14:20
Rick "using the carcass for exploration at this point" Denney

I feel your pain.

Brian "taking things apart and putting them back together again correctly is a lot easier with the repair manual" Shaw

p.s. I feel your pain.

Brian "if you didn't lose anything (and there are several tiny things that can get lost) then it should be repairable" Shaw

p.s. I feel your pain.

Brian "I have the manual but it is paper... and thick" Shaw

J. Patric Dahlen
27-May-2009, 15:03
V = Vorlaufwerk, which can be translated to "in-advance-work", or "runs-before-work".

The most used word for in german, though, for "selftimer" is "Selbstauslöser", which translates to "self-release". Vorlaufwerk is a more technical term.

Archphoto
27-May-2009, 15:27
OK, try this link (http://www.suaudeau.eu/memo/rep/Compur-shutter-repair-manual.html) (and if it works: safe it !!!).

Gives you all the data you will ever need about Compur shutters.

Good luck,
Peter

J. Patric Dahlen
27-May-2009, 16:02
...or save the image files on the computer in case this excellent site some day disappears. :eek:

Thanks Peter!

rdenney
27-May-2009, 16:55
OK, try this link (http://www.suaudeau.eu/memo/rep/Compur-shutter-repair-manual.html) (and if it works: safe it !!!).

Gives you all the data you will ever need about Compur shutters.

Good luck,
Peter

That is dangerously informative. It precludes any excuses, and I had already come to terms with them!

But I could see how the bits of that timing train went together, I just didn't have any way to hold it all together for assembly. My fingers are not what they used to be in terms of dexterity.

But, dang it, now I have to try! Thanks for the link.

Rick "wishing those images would print out easily" Denney

Archphoto
27-May-2009, 17:01
If you have trouble to get the part mounted again: use some heavy grease and wash it away after assembly, then re-oil with synthetic clock oil.

Peter

BrianShaw
27-May-2009, 17:13
That is dangerously informative.

That's the manual I was talking about, Rick. It has all you'd ever need to know. The most important parts (to me) are the parts layouts and the lubrication schedules. The Synchro-Compur is a bit finicky about lubrication. There's a lot of wrong info on the 'net that says run them dry but as you can see in the manual (and I can attest to) they really don't like being dry.

Brian "who probably can offer nothing more to this conversation" Shaw

:)

Daniel Unkefer
27-May-2009, 17:39
I'm curious to know how the 47mm f5.6 will work for you on your new F+. Have you looked through it all together?

-Dan, who will shoot a 5x7 Norma image (probably the full image circle) when I finally get my 47mm F8 Super Angulon.

rdenney
27-May-2009, 19:29
I'm curious to know how the 47mm f5.6 will work for you on your new F+. Have you looked through it all together?

Hi, Dan--nice to run into you on some other forum than the Kiev Report. I suppose I should have expected to see you here.

I have looked through it, but it is not easy to look through. I am seriously contemplating seeing if Bill Maxwell can make a fresnel for the Sinar fresnel frame that will focus on the 45-75mm range. The Sinar fresnel seems to be shaped for 120 and greater, where it provides reasonably even illumination. But with really short lenses the fresnel isn't cut to refract the sharp angles. Without the fresnel, it's hard to see more than a silver-dollar-size image in the middle of the ground glass. But I can see enough by looking at an angle through the ground glass with a loupe.

The 47 covers 6x12 without movements, which makes for a pretty impressive field of view. 6x9 is a piece of cake, and much easier to see on the ground glass.

Rick "who bought the 47 from Rodrigo also on the Kiev Report forum" Denney