PDA

View Full Version : Lens mounting question (Fuji f/9 240 A)

Michael Pry
20-Oct-2001, 09:51
I just had a question as far as mounting goes that maybe you could answer. I ha ve a Burke and James and the lensboards are roughly 6x6 and composed of wood. Th e lensboards are 3/8" thick. The lens does not have the type of retaining ring t hat has a flange with screw holes that screw into the lensboard so that the reta ining ring is mounted as its own entity to the lensboard(like the old Ilex shutt ers). Rather it is more like a threaded ring that simply screws on to the back o f the shutter. So here is what I am thinking of doing..........First off the woo d is to thick for the amount of threads given on the shutter so I propose to use a small router to plunge out the backside of the lensboard to lessen the thickn ess of the wood so I have enough"bite" on the threads when I screw the retaining ring on the shutter. I would make the routed area in a circular shape slightly larger as well and then drill a hole all the way through for the threaded collar of the shutter to go into and screw the retaining ring on from the back to comp lete the installation. Can you follow me on this? Does this sound like an accept able solution ? Any help or advice would be well received. Actually the wood I a m making the lensboard out of is not exactly 3/8" it is 9mm I believe and it is baltic birch plywood used for model airplanes and the like and has 8 plys so war ping is not even an issue. Thank you in advance to any considerations given this matter!

Mike Pry

Bob Finley
20-Oct-2001, 10:44
Yes that will work and baltic birch is excellent for this. Just don't route it too thin. I have used baltic birch in 1/8" and glued extra strips on in the mounting areas for the needed thickness.

Bob Salomon
20-Oct-2001, 10:50
If the shutter is a current 0 or 1 size you could simply buy a Rodenstock lens flange and screw it to the board with 3 small screws. We normally always have these in stock. You can order them M-F at 800 735 4373

Bob Salomon
20-Oct-2001, 10:51
If the shutter is a current 0 or 1 size you could simply buy a Rodenstock lens flange and screw it to the board with 3 small screws. We normally always have these in stock. You can order them M-F at 800 735 4373

We also have 3 size

Dave Schneidr
20-Oct-2001, 15:29
I would be careful about routing the wood too thin, expecially of the lens is very heavy. It would not take much force to break out around the edges. I'm not sure about the lens you are using, it may be a very light compact lens. My suggestion would be either buy the lens flange, or make one. Get a piece of hardened aluminum sheet stock, the type used for Toyo, Sinar, etc. lens boards. Cut a square of this larger than you need, drill a hold in the middle to mount your lens. Then fasten this to the 3/8 inch plywood with some small screws and seal the edge from the back side with black silicone caulk.

Dave Willison
20-Oct-2001, 15:39
Mike:

Here is a simple method that avoids the precision routing step. Purchase a sheet of 1/8 inch plywood available from Woodcraft.com in walnut, cherry, birch etc. Using an exacto knife, cut a 6x6 piece to fit your camera using the old board as a template. Drill a hole in the center to match your lense/shutter diameter. Cut several thin (1/4-1/2 inch) strips of the 1/8 ply and glue them to the front (or rear) edge of the lensboard. The idea is to build the overall edge thickness of the board up to 3/8.

Drop me a line if this is unclear.

Dean Lastoria
21-Oct-2001, 11:00
Model airplane plywood is great -- laminate a few sheets cut with an olfa knife. First sheet bigger than the next two. There seem to be two grades of this ply in the 1/8th inch. One is translucent and it is cheeper, so get the expencive one. I wouldn't want to use a router on a 6" by 6" piece of stock when I can laminate to the same end. If you do route then watch your fingers. Dean