PDA

View Full Version : Dropped my spotmeter

JasonT
26-May-2009, 04:31
I recently purchased a Soligor Spot Sensor II. Everything was going well until yesterday I dropped it as I was getting in my car. It suffered about a two foot drop. The case I've been able to return to normal, but the meter needle is unresponsive.

Any resources about these meters? I thought I'd take a look myself, but I would need some sort of reference material to aid my tinkering. Does anyone know of any sites? If that fails, who can fix these things?

Thanks!

Renato Tonelli
26-May-2009, 05:40
Try Quality Light Metric in California. Excellent service. 323-467-2265

Archphoto
26-May-2009, 06:01
If you are into watch-making you probably could do it yourself if you are lucky.
I hope for you that the ax from the meter just jumped out of its holder and nothing is broken inside.

Sending it off is probably the best solution and hope for the best.

Peter

JasonT
26-May-2009, 07:11
Doesn't sound good. I think I'll give Quality a call. Thanks.

ki6mf
26-May-2009, 17:13
Richard Ritter does repairs on Soligar and did lots of work on spot meters converting them to Zone V. http://www.lg4mat.net/

mikebarger
26-May-2009, 17:54
A second for Richard. He did a nice job on my spotmeter.

Mike

R Shaffer
26-May-2009, 20:51
I have the same meter and similarly dropped it. Same outcome, needle would not move. I opened it up and found that a half-circular metal ( magnet maybe? ) had dislodged and pinned the needle to the side. It was really easy to open the case and spot the problem. Unfortunately it bent the needle. I did my best to bend it back with tweezers and it was obvious where the half-circle metal was suppose to go.

So now the needle moves, but I have no faith in it's accuracy. So I replaced it with Sekonic L-508 ( just under $200 at big auction site ) and have no regrets. When I compared meter readings, the low light reading were good but it was off by a stop +/- up around EV14 or 15.

Kirk Fry
26-May-2009, 21:09
They replaced the main board on my Pentax V analog for $85 two months ago. Quality Light Metric in California. Excellent service. 323-467-2265

Turner Reich
27-May-2009, 16:59
They replaced the main board on my Pentax V analog for $85 two months ago. Quality Light Metric in California. Excellent service. 323-467-2265

Your best bet.