PDA

View Full Version : Horseman needs help

mmfoto
25-May-2009, 11:03
I've got the opportunity to buy a Horseman 4x5 field camera for almost free, but the BIG snag is that the back of the camera is missing, no ground glass, nothing rear of the body. I've played around with the idea of making a wood back to fit, or hacking a back from another camera. This gorgeous camera is basically useless as is, and a new back costs as much as the camera's worth.

My question is this: if I were to produce a new back - in the absence of a reference model - how should I determine the correct location of the film plane? Do I start from the infinity stops and work backwards?

Thanks!

Oren Grad
25-May-2009, 11:09
You don't need a camera to determine the correct location of the film plane. What matters is that the ground glass surface be in the same place as the film will be when a holder is inserted. This is determined entirely by the structure of the back, has nothing to do with the camera body.

Jim Michael
25-May-2009, 15:45
I wonder if a back from a Speed Graphic could be adapted to work? I have one lying around that needs a new home.

Lachlan 717
25-May-2009, 15:45
Unless you're trying to squeeze every last mm from the bellow draw, Oren is correct. Even if you are trying to squeeze every last mm from the bellow draw, Oren is correct!!

My advice would be to a) head to your local LF camera supplier and have a good look at rear standards and b) read as many books/articles on LF cameras.

And, finally, realise that the tolerences involved in making your own rear standard are very, very tight... (Search for the recent thread about building a first camera)

Lachlan.

jb7
25-May-2009, 16:24
Listen to Jim-
he's got the right idea...

Lachlan 717
25-May-2009, 17:13
Listen to Jim-
he's got the right idea...

In what respect?

jb7
25-May-2009, 18:13
A Graflock back could perhaps be married to the rear frame-
if the dimensions worked out,
and if the work involved was within the capabilities of mmfoto-
The camera, he says, is for almost nothing,
and the cost of a graflock back shouldn't be more than a hundred dollars-
possibly a bit less.

It doesn't sound complicated to me, although I don't know the camera-

The Horseman Field camera is metal, right?
So it might need an intermediate piece to marry the two assemblies...

A 4x5 Cambo back might be a possibility-
again not expensive.

I followed a not dissimilar route for my Arca conversion-

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=45345

although they are all different, of course-
There's no substitute for having it in your hands to figure out what the best approach is-

Of course, if the money is there, use it-
if it isn't, use something else-

For a little bit of work, you have a usable camera.
It needn't be that complicated-

joseph

ic-racer
26-May-2009, 06:16
I believe this would be the piece that goes between the camera and a (or any?) graflock back.
http://www.adorama.com/HM23707.html

Oren Grad
26-May-2009, 08:27
I believe this would be the piece that goes between the camera and a (or any?) graflock back.
http://www.adorama.com/HM23707.html

That's for Horseman monorails.

ic-racer
28-May-2009, 09:28
That's for Horseman monorails.

You are right, I see it doesn't have the release lever.

I checked my 1991 Horseman catalog and, indeed, they did not market any similar replacement frame for the technical cameras. I suspect it would have been considered a 'repair part' and probably pretty difficult to locate.

KHB can get Horseman service parts. They were able to get a new Horseman-boxed 6x9 Fresnel for my VH-R.

Blue Monkey
28-May-2009, 18:57
Which Horseman is it?

I have the FA - if you need pictures for the pieces to figure out what you need, let me know.

I also have the Horseman L (or LX?) model and I'm pretty sure the whole back unit with the ground glass back is the same size and interchangeable. I haven't used it lately, but I can check to confirm. 80cm x80cm board I think and locks in the same way.

Let me know if I can help, B.

Lachlan 717
28-May-2009, 22:18
I also have the Horseman L (or LX?) model and I'm pretty sure the whole back unit with the ground glass back is the same size and interchangeable. I haven't used it lately, but I can check to confirm. 80cm x80cm board I think and locks in the same way.

Better check the size of the boards; my L series takes the 140x140 Sinar boards.