PDA

View Full Version : Oceano dunes

Carl Couchman
24-May-2009, 22:29
Anyone know how to get to some dunes at or near Oceano that allow foot travel only.

Thanks,

Carl

John Kasaian
24-May-2009, 22:56
Just ask the rangers.

North of Oceano you might want to check out Oso de Oro park in Los Osos, just to the Souh of Morro Bay, this California State Park features a huge spit comprised of dunes and is seperated from Morro Rock by the channel. While they do allow horses in the park there are so many dunes you can spend all day there without running into one.

Tori Nelson
24-May-2009, 23:20
http://www.dunescenter.org/ottoso.htm

This is a great area. I have never seen anyone in a dune buggy out this far but then I've never bothered going in the summer.
There is a very cool wooden bridge and several viewing areas that cross the lake and staying on this trail leads you out to the dunes.

Jim Fitzgerald
25-May-2009, 06:26
Carl, there are several places in the Oceano area to explore. i think the Oceano dunes are over run with dune buggies but I have never been on them so I don't know for sure. The dunes that Tori mentions out of Oso Flaco that are south of Oceano are very nice. Yes, there is a fresh water lake and much to see. It is a trek from the parking area to the dunes. Farther south at the end of Main street are the Guadalupe dunes and this is the place to go. I have been there 6 times and have never see another soul.The Snowy Prowler nests there and the dunes are only open from October to the end of February, I think. Best to check with them.
North of here is Montana de Oro state park which is out of Los Osos.If you take Los Osos valley road west off of the 101 and take it to the very end the road it dead ends in the park. You have some dunes, a Eucalyptus forest and great cliffs that over look the ocean and great shots of the coastline. Make sure on your way out or into this area you check out the Oak Preserve just as you get into Los Osos proper. It will be on your left. The forest takes you back in time. Some great trees that I need to explore some more.

Jim

Robert Oliver
25-May-2009, 08:23
For the Oceano Dunes, I usually park at the Livery Stables on the very North end of the dunes and walk back in... Winter is usually best, because I assume all of these dunes will be tracked out by foot traffic during the summer months. I could be wrong. This is also the time of year with the best on shore winds so they might repair themselves rather quickly. Three day weekends will be your worst bet.

The north end of the dunes is off limits to off road vehicles. You can also find vehicle free areas south of the off road area by accessing the dunes at Oso Flaco lake and Main Street in Guadalupe. The dunes at Main Street are kind of cool because you can find some of the remnants of Cecille B. Demilles' (sp) movie set from the 10 Commandments. The other way to get to the southern part of the dunes is to join the nuts by driving down the beach to "pole 8" and park near the fence, from there you can walk in to untracked dunes. If you drive on the beach, the river crossing can be dangerous in the winter and the closer you get to the fence, the more you will need a 4wd vehicle. But don't worry, there are 4wd tow trucks that will gladly yank you out of the sand for a hefty fee.

Montana de Oro State Park has a set of dunes that allow only foot traffic... They are really cool. To get to these dunes there is a parking lot and a wooden foot bridge near the entrance to the state park. You can also hire a boat in Morro Bay to ferry you across to the Dunes.

Just ask the rangers.

North of Oceano you might want to check out Oso de Oro park in Los Osos, just to the Souh of Morro Bay, this California State Park features a huge spit comprised of dunes and is seperated from Morro Rock by the channel. While they do allow horses in the park there are so many dunes you can spend all day there without running into one.

Robert Oliver
25-May-2009, 08:34
in summer you are more likely to encounter fog on the coastline all day long...

John Kasaian
25-May-2009, 09:26
Oops! I meant to write Montana de Oro park (not Oso de Oro, which is a local park here in Fresno) I must have suffered a bout of OIS(Oro Imbalance Syndrome!)

Carl Couchman
25-May-2009, 12:47
Wow thanks everyone for such great response!

I am planning a trip to SB next week for the Brett Weston Exhibit from San Jose so I intend to photograph my way there and back. I had been to the dunes south of Oceano once but it was closed.

Can anyone recommend a good place to tent/car camp that isnt the walk in type? I would rather avoid campgrounds that are noisy.

Thanks,

Carl

Robert Oliver
25-May-2009, 13:10
for quiet... I'd recommend Lopez Lake... nice place to photograph too... especially foggy mornings and oak trees. watch out for the wild turkeys. Probably 1/2 hour drive to the dunes if you take the back roads.

Anything close to the beach, imo, is usually filled with a "different" type of camper once you get into the summer months. (Nothing like camping next to adrenaline junkies all hyped up on Monster Energy Drinks, red bull, budweiser and whiskey)

jalama beach campground is kinda cool... but farther away. And during the summer months can be hard to get into. Surfers can get a little loud.

I think there are some cool campgrounds off of San Marcos pass (red rocks), Lake Cachuma and possibly something quiet in the hills behind Michael Jackson's Neverland ranch... Figueroa Mountain area has some campgrounds... probably 45 mintues to and hour away from dunes.

John Kasaian
25-May-2009, 16:45
There is a camp ground at Montana de Oro which is quite nice, especially towards the evening (you can join the rest of campers at the beach access, beverage of choice in hand, to watch the sunset.) The water lines apparently were crossed in the lavatories, which must have been flushing hot water down the toilets. It made taking showers on foggy mornings quite interesting when someone would flush and the shower water would stream ice cold! Wakes you up in a hurry!

EdWorkman
28-May-2009, 13:30
Robert
Great shots!
Been a long time since I dug myself out of the beach at Oceano
As far as sun and temperature go, January and February can be the best times of year, except for the short daylight hours- As you say- June Gloom can last from May to almost October
regards
Ed Workman
Ed Workman