PDA

View Full Version : ID for british tailboard camera?

big_ben_blue
24-May-2009, 08:47
Does anyone know what make this full plate camera is: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300314738052
My guess would be a Watson&Sons. Either way, it's gonna be a nice toy to play with :)

Chris

Archphoto
24-May-2009, 09:08
So it is yours ?! Congrad's ! Realy looks in great shape.

Have fun !!!!

Peter

Ash
24-May-2009, 09:53
Looks similar to my perken son & rayment, but with more movements

eddie
24-May-2009, 15:43
i just sold one just lik eit. started with an M. made in paris. i will try and dig up the name. great camera. enjoy

Ernest Purdum
24-May-2009, 15:50
Although similar to a Watson "Acme" in basic layout, there are many detail differences. Since the camera was in India when up for sale, perhaps it had an Indian maker, though I have never seen an Indian tailboard. It's unfortunate that some camera makers are so modest.

It's pretty and I think you got a good price.

big_ben_blue
24-May-2009, 19:37
So it is yours ?! Congrad's ! Realy looks in great shape.
Have fun !!!!
Yup, it's mine now (well it's still in transit). Should make a decent full plate camera.

Looks similar to my perken son & rayment
Could be another model by them.

i just sold one just lik eit. started with an M. made in paris. i will try and dig up the name. great camera. enjoy
Jeepers, I missed another good camera. Mackenstein? I got one of these in 10x12 and they do look somewhat similar. I love mine, it's very well built, but the front got busted during shipping (some postal dude managed to ram the attached lens - a Hermagis no less - through the front standard boards straight into the ground glass).

Although similar to a Watson "Acme" in basic layout, there are many detail differences. Since the camera was in India when up for sale, perhaps it had an Indian maker, though I have never seen an Indian tailboard. It's unfortunate that some camera makers are so modest.
It appears too well made for a Indian maker. I would guess it's a leftover from the colonial days; Britain must have just flooded India with their cameras, as I got a Watson, a Gandolfi and a Sanderson all from India. The rear movements look identical to my Gandolfi; but the base/bottom construction is different.
Anyways, the price was right and it should make a good user (it apparently got newish bellows too).