PDA

View Full Version : Use of a 100mm Ektar lens for large format

Ned Fenimore
9-Sep-2001, 02:09
My question is as follows:

I currently possess two Kodak Medalist II cameras with 100mm, 3.5 Ektar lenses m ounted to the cameras in their original Supermatic Flash Shutters. I'm planning on having the best camera reworked for 120 film usage, and using the other in a large format camera, such as a Bender 4x5 kit. So having said that, does anyon e have and knowledge or experience with either of these cameras to know whether or not the Medalist lens and shutter can be adapted to a 4x5 view camera? Will the 100mm lens cover 4x5, and would it seem to be too much of a wide angle lens to be practical?

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Regards,

Ned

pat krentz
9-Sep-2001, 03:51
I have a 101mm Ektar which I use on my Graphic 45 for macro work. Pat

andrea milano
9-Sep-2001, 05:13
your lens won't cover 4x5 but as it has been said before you can use it in cose up photography, you'll enjoy it!

David A. Goldfarb
9-Sep-2001, 11:51
It won't cover 4x5", but it's a great lens. I adapted one for 35mm use. Info at:

http://people.smu.edu/rmonagha/mf/cameras.html

Use of the shutter will also be awkward with a view camera, since the Medalist is set up to cock the shutter from inside the camera, and there isn't a normal cocking lever. In the 35mm conversion, I just leave the shutter open all the time and use the camera's focal plane shutter.

M.
9-Sep-2001, 14:18
There's a 2.25x3.25 back for sheet film, etc, for the Medalist. They come up on eBay fairly often. Neat!

David Richhart
9-Sep-2001, 14:38
Ned...the Kodak Medalist is a great old camera and is worth a fair amount of money. Why not just sell one on EBAY and use the cash toward the purchase of a decent lens??? I think it's a shame to see the old cameras parted out.

David A. Goldfarb
10-Sep-2001, 01:15
Just for the record, I would agree with the above poster about being reluctant to strip a working Medalist for the parts. The one I had had already been stripped, but the lens and shutter were intact.

Ned Fenimore
10-Sep-2001, 10:26
David,

I can't seem to find your site on adapting the Medalist to 35mm use. I'd like to see that, thanks.

David A. Goldfarb
10-Sep-2001, 10:53
Oops. Pasted the wrong link. That should be:

http://people.smu.edu/rmonagha/mf/medalist/

The site is not mine, but Bob Monaghan's. He has an enormous site with lots of useful info on medium format cameras, above all the classic Bronicas, and third-party lenses for 35mm cameras. Old Bronicas are popular among lens hackers (it is very easy to adapt LF and other lenses for them), so there is some good info about this topic as well, and I sent him a few test shots and a description of my Medalist/35mm adaptation for the site.