PDA

View Full Version : Fx1

Shen45
21-May-2009, 06:39
I borrowed the Film Developer cookbook from a friend and FX1 intrigued me. I mixed a batch but did everything wrong. Well according to the accepted wisdom anyway.

I tested Foma 200 [Arista Edu Ultra] using BTZS methodology and processed in tubes. The first observation was a genuine speed increase of 1 stop over D76 1+3.

The FX1 allowed an SBR range of 5 to 9.7 witch is approximately -1.5 to +1.25 if you are a ZS user

All the information I had gathered said the developer would not work at all well in a continuous [BTZS tubes are random semi continous] agitation system. My first test neg/print was great. The grain was not course and gradation was very nice. I concede I have probably lost some of the adjacency affect however the tests so far under different light conditions show very definate crisp transfer on the edges of contrast changes. I have always liked the "sparkle" of developers with Sodium Carbonate and this one certainly helps produce a lively print.

I look forward to trying it on a few more subjects. It is easy to make and use.

Steve

Pete Watkins
21-May-2009, 06:49
Well done Steve, what asa did you expose the Foma at and how long was it in the soup? I'm looking at new film and developer options and I like the sound of this one.
Best wishes,
Pete.

Gem Singer
21-May-2009, 07:01
Steve,

Are you adding a pinch of potassium iodide to the mix?

It should minimize the loss of acutance due to continuous (rotary) agitation in BTZS tubes.

Also, the FX 1 formula calls for only 5gms of sodium sulfite.

Was the grain noticeable in the print?

Peter De Smidt
21-May-2009, 07:01
Yep, FX-1 is an interesting developer. I tried it years ago with semi-stand development. The adjacency effects were very pronounced, too much for regular photography, at least for me. Thus continuous agitation might be just the ticket.

Shen45
21-May-2009, 17:41
Steve,

Are you adding a pinch of potassium iodide to the mix?

It should minimize the loss of acutance due to continuous (rotary) agitation in BTZS tubes.

Also, the FX 1 formula calls for only 5gms of sodium sulfite.

Was the grain noticeable in the print?

Hi Gem,

I followed the 2 part formula for FX1 and with step wedge testing arrived at 5+5+50 for a total of 60ml developer per tube. I used the recommended very dilute solution addition of Potassium Iodide. The results are very crisp and the highlights are very well controlled.

I noticed 2 formula published for FX1 -- a 2 part and a single mix. apparently the 2 part has a much better shelf life.

In terms of an "N" time for the 5+5+50 dilution at 21c expose at 160 iso and develop for about 7 minutes. This time is an estimate only as BTZS varies ISO and development times based on SBR of the scene.

http://www.jackspcs.com/fx1.htm

This is a very useful link to the 2 part formula.

I was very surprised at the grain. It was tight and certainly not course.

Steve

Gem Singer
21-May-2009, 17:55
Thanks, Steve.

I just night try mixing up this developer myself and trying it with dip-and-dunk processing.

I'm a big fan of adjacency (edge) effects.

IanG
23-May-2009, 11:07
I noticed 2 formula published for FX1 -- a 2 part and a single mix. apparently the 2 part has a much better shelf life.

There's really only one Formula for FX-1 becaiuse once the two parts are mixed the resulting solution is the same. Many developers can be split and have a far better shelf life stired that way, it was a more common practice in the 30's & 40's.

Ian

Shen45
23-May-2009, 18:17
Ian do you have any idea as to the storage life of 1 gm of Potassium Iodide in 1 litre of water in a tightly sealed bottle.

Crawley reccomends a .001% solution.

To achieve that the following is given on the website I quoted in my first post.

"To make 0.001% solution of Potassium Iodide, add 1 gram to 1 liter of water. Take 100 ml of this solution and dilute to 1 liter. Again take 100 ml of this solution and dilute to 1 liter. This will give you a 0.001% solution of Potassium Iodide. (This is equal to 1 mg per 100 ml). Mr. Crawley claims the Iodide's action is to enhance adjacency effects which also accentuates lens aberrations, flare and camera movement."

I don't have a large quantity of the potassium Iodide so would like to conserve it if possible.

Steve

IanG
26-May-2009, 02:40
Quite a few years :D

Ian

Shen45
26-May-2009, 16:10
Thanks Ian.