PDA

View Full Version : Marumi Center Filters???

Kerry L. Thalmann
18-Oct-2001, 14:52
I was just browsing the B&H web site to check the prices on a center filter, and came across a brand I've never heard of - Marumi. Here's a quote about these f ilters from the B&H web site:

"Marumi makes 2x ND center filters in 62, 67, 72, and 77mm. They are neutral gra y in the center, graduating to transparent at the edges. They are used primarily to remove vignetting which occurs with large format cameras when using wide ang le lenses. Center filters help give an evenly illuminated shot. This center filt er requires an exposure correction of 1 f-stop.

Multicoated to minimize reflection at the filter surfaces which reduces flare an d ghosting."

Compared to other brands, they are priced very reasonably (starting at $133.50 f or the 62mm). Obviously, they only offer 1 stop of compensation from center to edge, as compared to the 1 1/2 - 1 2/3 stops typical of other brands. This lowe r degree of compensation could be both a curse and a blessing depending on the a pplication. For some of the less radical wide angle focal lengths - especially when using no or modest movements, 1 stop of compensation may be sufficient. An d, it only costs you one stop as opposed to 1 1/2 or more.

So, does anybody have any ACTUAL EXPERIENCE with these Marumi multicoated center filters? I'm curious just how neutral they are compared to the much more expen sive, Heliopan, Rodenstock and Schneider center filters (note: again I am asking for ACTUAL EXPERIENCE here, not specs, sizes, etc. on the other brands - I alre ady have that info).

Kerry

Bob Salomon
18-Oct-2001, 16:47
Did you happen to note the front rim diameter? Some of the Japanese center filters are not a wide angle design.

The distributor for these filters in the US is Argraph

Kerry L. Thalmann
18-Oct-2001, 17:19
Bob,

Good question. There are no pictures or other specs on the B&H web site, and a google search on "Marumi center filters" doesn't turn up anything. Argraph.com is registered, but their web site is "Coming Soon!" I did find a phone number f or Argraph, so maybe I'll give them a call and see if they can provide more info . Still, it would be nice to hear from someone who has actually used one of the ir center filters.

Kerry

Dominique Cesari
19-Oct-2001, 12:38
Kerry, I baught a Marumi effect filter (not N.D.) at a give-away price. I was aware that it was probably of poor quality, and yes it is.

Jeff Wellman
3-Jun-2005, 18:34
You will note that Crystal Optics is a brand made by Marumi sometimes found on eBay and is listed in Google searches. I purchased a Crytal Optics "Redhancer" ata fraction of the price of a Hoya or Tiffen. I only realized this when I read the paperwork inside the box describing other filters. What I did not know is that Marumi has a Redhancer, and a "Light Redhancer". I wish I knew that because I do not like to overpower other colors, and the lighter version appears to do a better job of this as pictured on the Marumi website. Marumi also makes Blue and Greenhancers in both regular and light. As to quality, it is multi coated (the Crystal Optics - basically the same thing as Marumi). I held it at an angle to different light sources on both sides, and it did subdue the brightness and change the color. That's how you tell if it is multicoated...plus they are harder to clean because oil from fingers just gets moved around vs. absorbed on coated filters vs. non coated filters. You are better using a fine chamois type cloth than microfiber to clean multi-coated filters. If you want to read a good article by Ira Tiffen on multicoatings vs. no multicoatings (many Tiffens have none), B&H has it in it's round filter page under the "FILTER FACTS" link. Personally, I saved about $25 by going with the Crystal Optics. Let's face it, I use Cokin and that's plastic. Lee makes Resin (Big$$$), and Polyester (cheaper). I don't think the average person can really tell, and besides, I've never had anyone complain about what filter I should have used after shooting weddings, and the prints I make at home with these filters, sell just as well at the two galleries I exhibit at because I can sharpen, reduce grain, adjust hue, contrast, and RGB with Photoshop. Then I print on an Epson 1800 Photo printer. With all those variables that come into play, why worry about a filter whan most are perfectly fine. Just use your lens shade to eliminate ghosting and flare. The good multicoated lenses today will do the rest. And if shooting into the sun WITH the shade on, you'll see if you have flare. Hold your hand up as a "gobo", out of the frame, until you see the contrast improve, then shoot!@!!