PDA

View Full Version : Pentax spotmeter lens cap

Andrea Gazzoni
20-May-2009, 00:20
Can anyone using a Pentax Digital Spotmeter give me the right size for replacing a missing lens cap?

thank you
Andre

Steve Barber
20-May-2009, 02:19
I lost mine, too, but the outside diameter is 44mm. The inside diameter is 40mm, the same as a 50mm/f 2.8 Nikon El Nikkor and the cap for that, which is the kind that uses a spring clamp gripping from the inside, fits the Pentax perfectly and is what I am using as a substitute. The Nikon cap is marked as "40.5mm".

Vaughn
20-May-2009, 07:08
I use the same cap as Steve.

Vaughn

vinny
20-May-2009, 09:21
These are what I use on my minolta F. Never lose the cap because it always stays on. I don't have my pentax in front of me but I think they would work on the pentax also. Maybe trim off a bit of the cap for depth.
http://www.butler-creek.com/products/scopes_flip_open.html

Dave Jeffery
21-May-2009, 02:19
Just incase you don't want to use the cap mentioned above.

I measure the OD of the outermost light meter ring at just a little under 44mm (1- 11/16th"), and the depth of the inside of the cap is .7mm which allows the cap to slip on to the first raised ridge on the ASA/ shutter speed adjustment ring.

Andrea Gazzoni
21-May-2009, 05:29
many thanks guys! this forum is a gold mine

andre

newmoon2night
21-May-2009, 21:37
Can anyone using a Pentax Digital Spotmeter give me the right size for replacing a missing lens cap?

thank you
Andre

Badger list spare Spotmeter caps at $7.95 http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=2886

John Bowen
22-May-2009, 03:03
Badger list spare Spotmeter caps at $7.95 http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=2886

The problem is Badger also lists this item as "out of stock" as of this AM. I got one direct from Pentax about 2-3 years ago. I couldn't find them on Pentax's website when I looked about 6 months ago :(

Larry Gebhardt
22-May-2009, 09:18
These actually take a 40.5mm filter, so that is the lens cap size as well. I leave a filter on mine all the time sort of as a cap.

p_markowski
26-May-2009, 09:03
You may also consider going to a gun shop and picking up a spotting scope or rifle scope flip cap. I found one that threads onto the interior of my Pentax digital spot and has a spring flip cap. Be aware that it adds little extra dimension but that is not an issue in my camera case, it also doubles to protect lens flare.

Vlad Soare
27-May-2009, 03:38
Wow, Vinny, that has got to be the mother of all lens caps! :eek:
I'd love to have one of those on my Pentax V. Do you happen to know how their sizes, 01, 03A, 03B, etc., translate into millimeters?

Bob Salomon
27-May-2009, 04:06
Kaiser push-on 44mm cap 206944. Can be ordered from any camera store and stocked by many like Samy's and B&H.

Brian Ellis
27-May-2009, 07:43
I obtained a cap a few years ago by calling Pentax USA. I think it cost $5.95 and I had it in a couple days. There are other sources as you've seen from this thread but I figured why not get a duplicate of the one that came with the meter since it was as easy and inexpensive as any other source.

newmoon2night
30-May-2009, 04:32
These actually take a 40.5mm filter, so that is the lens cap size as well. I leave a filter on mine all the time sort of as a cap.

I hadn't realised that it was a 40.5mm filter thread - that is the same as a Rodenstock 135mm Sironar N ... and I've just bought one ... and it's short of the lenscap! The retailer has ordered one for me from Rodenstock, so this would fit the Pentax also presumably.

Steve Barber
30-May-2009, 06:02
I hadn't realised that it was a 40.5mm filter thread - that is the same as a Rodenstock 135mm Sironar N ... and I've just bought one ... and it's short of the lenscap! The retailer has ordered one for me from Rodenstock, so this would fit the Pentax also presumably.

Check the outside diameter of the lens, I think it is 42mm and the meter is 44mm, so the cap for the lens will be too small even though the filter threads are the same.