PDA

View Full Version : Filter for lens

Santo Roman
19-May-2009, 09:08
So I just picked up a nikkor W 135mm 5.6 and I need to get a filter for the damn thing. Any thoughts? I was thinking of a standard UV or polarized filter but if there is something different anyone thinks I should pickup, let me know.

santo

J. Patric Dahlen
19-May-2009, 09:12
What do you want the filter to do?

Joanna Carter
19-May-2009, 09:40
If you used a system like the Lee, you would only have to buy one of each filter and one adapter ring per lens.

Ron Marshall
19-May-2009, 09:48
Some people leave a UV filter on the lens at all times for protection. I don't bother, since I shoot mostly b/w and sometimes use contrast filters.

What film will you be shooting and what do you want the filter to do?

John Schneider
19-May-2009, 09:57
What do you want the filter to do?

As Patric said, if you don't know what question you're asking, we can't give you an answer.

Gem Singer
19-May-2009, 09:59
If you are referring to a protective filter that you can keep on the lens at all times, the Nikkor 135W takes a simple, inexpensive 52mm protective filter, available at most camera shops. A UV filter will also serve the same purpose. A polaroid filter will cut down the amount of light and require the addition of a filter factor.

I stepped up my Nikon 135W to 67mm using an inexpensive step-up ring, and I am able to utilize my complete set of glass screw-in filters on all of the LF lenses that I use for the 4X5 format.

Santo Roman
19-May-2009, 11:27
Mostly I'm looking to protect the lens. I'm think a cheap UV filter will do the trick. I shoot mostly HP5+ and Fuji color slides.

santo

Joanna Carter
19-May-2009, 11:54
Mostly I'm looking to protect the lens. I'm think a cheap UV filter will do the trick. I shoot mostly HP5+ and Fuji color slides.
What are you trying to protect the lens against, while it is on the camera??? Surely the need for protection would be when you are carrying it; in which case, a lens cap should do nicely. Believe it or not, lenses don't deteriorate whilst they are in use and unnecessary filters serve to degrade the image.

Santo Roman
19-May-2009, 14:17
What are you trying to protect the lens against, while it is on the camera??? Surely the need for protection would be when you are carrying it; in which case, a lens cap should do nicely. Believe it or not, lenses don't deteriorate whilst they are in use and unnecessary filters serve to degrade the image.

I'm protecting it from the unknown. Since I'll be around tourist in Italy, in the forest with trees and other areas that might toss up stuff that could scratch the lens, I would rather toss on a $16 UV filter than buy a new lens.

santo

Nathan Potter
19-May-2009, 15:58
There is some logic in using a protective filter but generally only under harsh conditions while taking an image such as:

Blowing sand
Salt spray
Dripping tree sap
Sleet or hail
Dense smoke
etc.

As Joanna says use a lens cap for ordinary transport. Any filter will cause a slight degradation in optical performance when using the finest lenses.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Santo Roman
19-May-2009, 16:46
I do plan on using the lens caps but there's always a chance that a rock could fly up or light bulb could blow up. For those reason are why I always use a lens filter.

santo

Gem Singer
19-May-2009, 17:02
Santo,

Your belief is probably based on your usage of 35mm and/or medium format equipment.

The chance of something jumping up and damaging a lens while it is being used on a large format camera is very rare.

Also, the lens and lens board are usually removed from the camera and kept in a protective wrap or container during transport.

However, if you feel more comfortable using a protective filter, by all means do so. Just use a good quality filter and keep it clean. It will not noticeably degrade the image.

Santo Roman
19-May-2009, 18:02
Thanks Gem. I've had a LF lens in the past that caught a gust of wind and took a header. Filter was cracked but the lens was intact.

santo

Ron Marshall
19-May-2009, 19:39
Tree sap is one that I hadn't thought of. Thanks for mentioning it. I often shoot in conifers so I'll be a bit more careful in the future!

There is some logic in using a protective filter but generally only under harsh conditions while taking an image such as:

Blowing sand
Salt spray
Dripping tree sap
Sleet or hail
Dense smoke
etc.

As Joanna says use a lens cap for ordinary transport. Any filter will cause a slight degradation in optical performance when using the finest lenses.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Joanna Carter
20-May-2009, 00:51
Tree sap is one that I hadn't thought of. Thanks for mentioning it. I often shoot in conifers so I'll be a bit more careful in the future!Agreed, that is a possibility but, if you use a decent compendium hood, it's going to take a pretty errant drop of anything to reach the lens :D

As to anything blowing in the wind (sand, spray, etc), you still don't need a "fixed" filter for protection, instead use a decent filter system which will allow you to choose a suitable filter for the lighting conditions. And don't forget that stuff blowing around can do a lot more damage getting into the shutter.