PDA

View Full Version : Those without a darkroom, where to develop/print?

Flea77
18-May-2009, 18:28
Those of you who do not process at home, where do you send your film for processing, proofing, printing?

I have been trying to avoid a darkroom up to this point, sending my 35mm B&W off to NCPS for development and some scanning. Unfortunately they want $25 per sheet to scan, and they can not print without scanning, which means every 4x5 I want a proof or enlargement of costs printing plus $25 which is a little steep.

I know a darkroom would be more economical in the long run, but lack of suitable space coupled with the fact that I am a casual shooter would make it much harder.

Allan

sun of sand
18-May-2009, 18:59
community darkrooms/friend or bathroom bathtub being most likely
develop film with small amount of supplies
trays
developer
fixer
clips
eyedropper/syringe
contact print with just a few more
glass
lightbulb
print developer
contrast filters

A small box of stuff

Flea77
18-May-2009, 19:27
community darkrooms

One of these in/near Houston?

Allan

sun of sand
18-May-2009, 20:09
no idea
Think someone on one of these forums at some point may have asked the same thing -maybe Houston maybe Dallas maybe not anywhere in Texas

Found this real quick
http://www.lighttec.com/houstondarkroom.html
single person though
wait lists

money for your 1 scan etc or 1 hour in the darkroom

Kirk Fry
18-May-2009, 22:55
Bathroom at night, pans. Scan for proof on epson 3200.

KFry

Joanna Carter
19-May-2009, 01:14
If you are shooting B&W, you can easily process your own film in something like a CombiPlan tank, in your kitchen; it only takes half an hour plus drying time.

As for printing, take a look at using a scanner yourself; the Epson flatbeds are perfectly fine for prints, right up to 40" x 32", although finding room for such a large printer could be difficult ;) I use an Epson R2400 for printing up to A3 and get stunning results.

gevalia
19-May-2009, 03:09
Combi tank for 4x5, changing tent, and a scanner. Have done about 500 sheets at this point in the kitchen with lights on. I do my own B&W but send the few color slides I shoot to Praus. At this point, the tank, changing bag, and scanner have more then paid for themselves in 2 years with just the B&W I have developed.

Gary Beasley
19-May-2009, 07:23
You could send them in for developing only and scan them yourself in an appropriate flatbed scanner with a transparency adaptor, for example the Epson Perfection 3200 Photo that I have. A few minutes at the scanner will tell you what the possibilities are for that sheet of film you shot and in the long run be way cheaper.

Diane Maher
19-May-2009, 09:08
I develop my b/w film in a Jobo tank, and then if I need silver contact prints, there are several labs nearby who can do contact prints for me. Otherwise, I either scan the negatives or make myself a pt/pd print.

Diane Maher
19-May-2009, 09:09
I develop my b/w film in a Jobo tank, and then if I need silver contact prints, there are several labs nearby who can do contact prints for me. Otherwise, I either scan the negatives or make myself a pt/pd print.

Color film I have to take to the lab because I don't have the ability to control the temperatures during development that I understand is needed.

eddie
19-May-2009, 09:14
i use my bath room. i have my scans done at sames club. costs me $2. develop only color film 1.50$

too easy to process my own. i use a daylight tank for everything up to 4x5 and trays for bigger than that.

katie cooke
19-May-2009, 11:13
Develop all my film in the kitchen. Make contact prints in the windowless bathroom (or inside a cupboard!). Make platinum prints on the kitchen table when it's not a sunny day. Use an enlarger at a public darkroom (if there's not an obvious one, try local colleges and community centres...it's surprising who has these things kicking around and OK to use if you ask nicely.)

papergiraffe
26-May-2009, 21:40
I am in the same situation. I know its cheap and easy to develop my own 4x5 B&W film but for a couple reasons I still need to find a good developer. I dont mind sending them to a person who develop's at home or a huge lab. As long as they can provide a great service at a fair price. I am just starting to shoot film so I would like to get experience on exposing my film before I try to develop it. I am excited to develop my own film but I would like to learn to crawl before I run. Also, with the very small amount of color film I use, I cant afford the cost of color developing supplies to do it myself. That being said, even if I develop my B&W, I still need a good lab I can mail my color film to for develop and possibly contact print. I live in Southern California which is very close to Freestyle photo supplies in Hollywood. They do not take mail orders and I am not able to hand deliver it. If anyone can offer me info on a few good developers in the US I would appreciate it.

PenGun
26-May-2009, 23:00
BTZS tubes in my bathroom. Epson 700 and 3800 on my table. I am dangerous.

Now to take some decent photographs. ;)

IanG
27-May-2009, 02:17
Here in Turkey I have no darkroom, so I load & process my films 120 & 5x4 in the bathroom. If you can find a second-hand Jobo tank they are far better than Combi or Yankee tanks, mine are the older 2000series, I bought the first (in the UK) back in 1976 & the one here in Turkey via a wanted advert on APUG, but I'd also try the For Sale/Wanted section here if I was after another.

Ian

cjackson
31-May-2009, 17:05
Hi All, I am looking for a lab that can process LF E6 and BW in the Burbank/Glendale area. I know of a great lab in Hollywood, but is far to drive. Any recommendations? Thanks, Chris

wclavey
31-May-2009, 17:47
Allan, you need to make a trip out to Katy... I have a rudimentary darkroom in the bathroom to print 4x5 as contact prints (just recently moved from printing using the ceiling light to using a 35mm enlarger as a light source), but I have been developing my own 4x5 negatives for several years now and scanning them. I have been developing film since the early 70's without a darkroom - - just a changing bag and my kitchen sink - - I run 4x5 film in batches several times a month - - 6 sheets at a time in a Jobo tank. If I had another 2509 reel, I could do 12 sheets at a time. You are welcome to add yours to the batch, provided you like my choice of developers...

Flea77
31-May-2009, 20:04
Actually I am doing two sheets at a time in trays right now. Kind of a pain but it works. Hopefully I should have a 4x5 scanner in a little over a week so that will get me started. I had planned on sending off for larger prints anyway.

Allan

Valerie
31-May-2009, 20:31
You are welcome to use my darkroom as well. Also ask around at Sam Houston U. Maybe you can get some time in thier darkroom.