PDA

View Full Version : Which instant film back?

J. Cole
14-May-2009, 10:05
Hi Everyone,
I'm just getting into LF and picked up an inexpensive Toyo 45G as a learning tool. For instant feedback I would like to get a polaroid back but there are several models out there and I don't know which would be the best to choose. My concern is camera compatibility and film availability. Does anyone have any recommendations? This is my first post ever on any kind of forum so I hope my question makes sense.
Thanks,
Jerry

douglas antonio
14-May-2009, 10:19
jerry,

since polaroid itself has stopped production there is fuji left. they manufacture packfilm in two different sizes. one for 4x5 size and a smaller, cheaper version. the 4x5 film is called fuji fp-100 c45 and the other fp-100c. either polaroid 505 for c45 or 405 for the 100c. both holders work with international backs, preferably if you can take off the gg holder and keep the holders in place with sliding knobs (they are fairly thick).
sorry i don't know the toyo so check first or wait for others to state that these holders fit your camera.

hope this helps,

douglas

Jiri Vasina
14-May-2009, 10:20
Hi Jerry and welcome here among us,

your question is very good, and your idea of instant feedback even better.

At the moment there are instant films available only from Fuji in 2 sizes - 3 1/4 x 4 1/4" [I'll shorten it as 3x4"] and 4x5" (I'm not counting the occasional Polaroid, because it's not manufactured new, it's only old stock, or what people have in freezers). And it's available both in color and BW:

FP-100B is 3x4" BW film with ISO 100 sensitivity
FP-100C is 3x4" color film with ISO 100 sensitivity
FP-3000B is 3x4" BW film with ISO 3000 sensitivity
(there some more speed variants that are only available in Japan, or reexported, like FP-400B for 3x4 ISO 400 film)

and then there are the 4x5" ones:
FP-100B45
FP-3000B45
FP-100C45
(and FP-500B45 again available only in Japan).

The 3x4 films fit the Fuji PA-145 holder (and some Polaroid holders, I'm not sure which ones exactly, but not the holders for pack film. I think the correct one is Polaroid 405, but please have someone else answer this). This holder fits any standard ("international") 4x5" camera back.

The 4x5 films fit the Fuji PA-45 holder (and again some Polaroid holders, check with others which are the right ones).

I have the PA-145 holder and shoot the 3x4 film. I'd recommend you also start with the 3x4" size - the film is around half the price of 4x5 instant film, yet the surface area is almost the same (well, something like 80-85%).

Hope this helps...

Jiri

Jiri Vasina
14-May-2009, 10:23
Douglas beat me with the answer, but he is more precise with the Polaroid holders. Also I forgot about the thickness of the Fuji holder. It might be a problem for some cameras, if the groundglass can not be pulled back enough. (The PA-145 fits well bellow the GG of my MPP 4x5 camera).

JIri

Gene McCluney
14-May-2009, 11:32
Those cameras that have a "graflok" back, have a ground glass spring system that allow the ground glass to be pulled further away from the camera than other styles of backs, and the Polaroid or Fuji holders will slide in just fine.

J. Cole
14-May-2009, 19:40
Thanks, everyone. Exactly the information I needed! Jerry

douglas antonio
14-May-2009, 22:11
sorry jerry,

there was a typo: it should be polaroid 550 holder for the fp-100 c45 film.
you might check the prices for either polaroid or fuji holders and decide.
to my feeling fuji holders prices are far beyond the polaroids. buy a good used one, check the rollers, check the dark slide! or ask questions if you intend buying online or from auction.

douglas

douglas antonio
14-May-2009, 22:19
and of course jerry: welcome to large format!!!! enjoy it to the fullest!
you will see, it's a real PITA and the greatest pleasure at the same time.
don't lose interest when you find you make a lot of mistakes or get poor results in the beginning. sometimes you even see something exciting on the gg which seems to have disappeared on the chrome or negative. i believe all this is "normal" ;-)
all of us make silly mistakes even after a couple of years of shooting. there are a lot of funny threads about that.

Chris Dunham
14-May-2009, 23:06
sorry jerry,

there was a typo: it should be polaroid 550 holder for the fp-100 c45 film.
you might check the prices for either polaroid or fuji holders and decide.
to my feeling fuji holders prices are far beyond the polaroids. buy a good used one, check the rollers, check the dark slide! or ask questions if you intend buying online or from auction.

douglas

Hi Douglas,

I've got the Polaroid 550 holder which I've used with FP-100c45 film successfully, do you know if the FP-100c film will work in the same holder?

Regards,

Chris.

Jiri Vasina
14-May-2009, 23:33
Chris, not from personal experience, but from what I have read: the smaller 3x4 FP-100C film will not work in the larger 4x5 holders. You have to have the right sized holder.

Jiri

Eirik Berger
15-May-2009, 00:31
and then there are the 4x5" ones:
FP-100B45
FP-3000B45
FP-100C45
(and FP-500B45 again available only in Japan).
Jiri

Have anyone seen these two BW-films (FP-100B45 and FP-3000B45) for sale anywhere? I have just found FP-100C45.

EDIT: Of course Japan Exposures has them:
http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=76
http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=77
http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=78

Jiri Vasina
15-May-2009, 05:05
Eirik, I seem to recall that when I was stocking my 3x4" films, B&H did carry them (the larger ones FP-100B45, FP-3000B45). But that was several months ago, and my memory might be failing me...

Of course, Japan Exposures (formerly MegaPerls) has them...

Jiri

Eirik Berger
15-May-2009, 05:10
Of course, Japan Exposures (formerly MegaPerls) has them...
Jiri

Yeah, they also have Instax mini film with "Hello Kitty" theme. Maybe that and a Instax Mini 7 is something for my (soon to be) 4 year old daughter? I feel terrible about her growing up all digital, she is way too comfortable with her mothers Ixus.

J_Tardiff
15-May-2009, 05:38
Yeah, they also have Instax mini film with "Hello Kitty" theme. Maybe that and a Instax Mini 7 is something for my (soon to be) 4 year old daughter? I feel terrible about her growing up all digital, she is way too comfortable with her mothers Ixus.

I just visited a friend of mine with 3 little girls (ages 3 -10) and brought along an Instax Mini 5 and a few packs of film (Hello Kitty and Disney), spent a few minutes showing them how it worked, set a few "sharing" ground rules so that the youngest got a turn and set them loose. First time my friend and I have spent "uninterrupted" time together in years and some of the pics were pretty swell. They *loved* watching them develop.

I sent one out to my daughter in college and apparently it is a big hit at parties and during their big Scav hunt recently. Funny, I haven't seen any of *those* pics...hmmmm.

JT

douglas antonio
15-May-2009, 11:41
chris,

jiri is right, for the 3x4 filmpack you need another holder. it would be the polaroid 405.
i have no idea whether fuji has an equivalent. but i would suppose so.

there is one going on the big auction site germany 370201881634.
seems to be slightly defective, but in working condition. good price though.

douglas

fotootaku
14-Jun-2009, 20:22
The PA 145 as Jiri and the rest have pointed out is a good alternative to the more expensive PA 45. However, it may not fit in some camera backs.

The side where the film comes out has a much thicker end which prevents the holder fitting flat(which will cause massive light leaks) against the back of the camera. Well, thats for my Rittreck View at least.

I wonder if the rest have similar problems with their cameras?

Dirk Rösler
15-Jun-2009, 20:32
Hi,

Thank you for the links.

Fuji PA-45 holder is for the FP-XXXXX45 films, Fuji PA-145 is for the smaller films. Pola equivalent are the 550 and 405. They are available on our site new and used, plus of course all the films.

Regards

Dirk

Mike Tuomey
9-Jul-2009, 21:01
The PA 145 as Jiri and the rest have pointed out is a good alternative to the more expensive PA 45. However, it may not fit in some camera backs.

The side where the film comes out has a much thicker end which prevents the holder fitting flat(which will cause massive light leaks) against the back of the camera. Well, thats for my Rittreck View at least.

I wonder if the rest have similar problems with their cameras?

Real noob here. But I've taken the instant film use to heart for practice. Especially as a generous friend presented me with a box of 20 double packs of pola 672. Using it with a polaroid 405 holder obtained on eBay. Anyway, the pola 405 is quite thick, like the PA145, on the roller end. It fits my Ebony field, but to avoid the leaks I have to be gentle, bracing and squeezing the GG holder and rear standard a bit with my free hand while carefully and evenly pulling out the film. This ensures that the tight fit isn't jarred or compromised. No leaks if I'm reasonably but not obsessively careful.

Mike

ljsegil
10-Jul-2009, 03:33
Some of the Fuji films in both sizes, though not a complete selection, are also available at Freestyle, and Badger sells the 4x5 color packs at the best price around. The Fuji holders do not fit under older spring backs, but do fine with Graflock or Universal backs unless the protruding end (which faces forward when the holder is in place) hits up against the frame of the ground glass. Really nice film, IMHO better than the Polaroid equivalents (not including Type 55 or the sepia for which Fuji does not have a matching product).
Larry