PDA

View Full Version : Light Leak

Mark_Se
14-May-2009, 07:52
I bought a used sinar f2 some weeks ago. Last week I took about 5 testhots. Today i got the negatives back and recognized a strange light on one negativ (the other 4 are perfect.)
Where do you think the light comes from? I used a brand new bag bellows!
Maybe the Filmholder?

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/hansmoleman_01/lichteinfall.jpg
Check out the left side!
(I donīt have a scanner at the moment so i used my lighttable and digi camera)

Gem Singer
14-May-2009, 08:00
Looks like the film holder was not seated properly into the back of the camera.

Possibly the film holder was lifted away from the camera while pulling or inserting the slide.

Or, a warped or defective holder.

Gene McCluney
14-May-2009, 08:13
Yep, that looks like a film holder issue, not a camera issue.

Mark_Se
14-May-2009, 08:14
Thanks,
Isn`t it strange that the light is not 100% at the edge? It looks proper exposed next to the left edge.

Mark_Se
14-May-2009, 08:48
I think I`ll buy cheap b/w film and do test shots with all holders...It would suck when that light issue happens during a job.

kev curry
14-May-2009, 09:39
It would be cheaper to use RC printing paper to test the holders.... if you have some. Cut the paper to fit the holders and then leave them in strong light for 5 minutes, that should tell you if its the holder/s.

Mark_Se
14-May-2009, 09:49
It would be cheaper to use RC printing paper to test the holders.... if you have some. Cut the paper to fit the holders and then leave them in strong light for 5 minutes, that should tell you if its the holder/s.

great idea, thanks!

Gene McCluney
14-May-2009, 11:35
I think you accidentally bumped the holder when you inserted or removed the dark-slide. This causes this "minor" type of light leakage. I always hold the back of the camera with my thumb firmly on the ground glass when I insert or remove a darkslide. This keeps an extra bit of pressure on the holder.

L&Scape
19-May-2009, 10:20
I just fixed a similar light leak on my camera.
If the blue light comes from the edges of the film, you should suspect your sheet film holders. If the light comes like in your example you should suspect camera back (if your film holder seats properly).
You can test any leaks by "exposing" two or more films for 10-30 min in daylight WITH THE LENS CAP ON. Then develop. If your sheets are unexposed, the you do not have a problem. If there is any light, please check the camera back. Old velvet sealings should be replaced or changed.

Lenny Eiger
19-May-2009, 11:14
I had a friend with a similar issue on an Arca Swiss. It turned out that he had the bellows installed sideways....

I don't know if this helps at all, just thought I'd pass it along...

Lenny

Archphoto
19-May-2009, 12:09
Lenny, I think you are right: once you have a lightleak you might aswell start at the front and work your way to the filmplane.
Esp. when you are new to a camera it is a great way to learn and understand more about your camera.

Peter

al olson
19-May-2009, 14:45
Thanks,
Isn`t it strange that the light is not 100% at the edge? It looks proper exposed next to the left edge.

That could be that the left strip of film was in the shadow of the lip of the holder and did not receive the full exposure of whatever caused the leak.

I also agree with L&Scape that you should check the velvet seals if your camera has them.