PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again...camera choice

Alar70
13-May-2009, 09:10
Hello all. I am new to the forum and to LF. I am looking to purchase my first LF camera and have narrowed it down to either an Arca Swiss F classic, Wista SP, or a DLC 45. Having never used these cameras, and having no opportunity to rent them, I am trying to make a decision based on common consent. I know that all these cameras are great in their own ways, but I don't want to end up "over buying" or getting into more than I need per se to start. I am leaning toward the Arca Swiss due to the expandability of it and have an opportunity to get one. This is what is being sold with it:

Camera Body:
Arca Swiss F-Line 4x5 Classic (over $3,500 at B&H today)
Monorail - Expanding/Telescopic - 30cm
Function Carrier for F-Line
Function Carrier with Markings for F-Line - Rear
Format Frame F-Line 4x5 - Front
4x5 Format Frame for F-Line 4x5
Graflok Back Set 4x5
Standard Bellows (38cm)
Wide angle bellows
Lens board adapter 110x110 to 171x171

5 Lens boards 110x110:
2 - Copal 0
2 - Copal 1
1 - Copal 3

Large Format Lenses with shutter, and front/rear lens caps:
75mm f/4.5 - Caltar II-N (SN10612675)
150mm f/5.6 - Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-N (SN11480937)
210mm f/5.6 - Sinar Sinaron-S (SN10841548)

Film and Holders:
6 Fidelity Elite - dual sided
Unopened 50 sheet pack Kodak 100TMax (expires 7/2010)

Accessories:
Gnass Gear - 3 Lens carrier
Gnass Gear - Dark cloth
Gnass Gear - Film holder carrier
Rodenstock Lupe - 4x
Rodenstock Scheimpflug calculator
Calumet proportion calculator
Rodenstock lens wrench
LowePro Pro Trekker AW II Camera Backpack

This is all being sold for 4000.00 and wanted to know in everyones estimation if this is a good package for the price and a good package that I could get started with? Thanks for the help, there is just so much out there and it is great to have experience provide direction. By the way, I am primarily doing landscape work.

GPS
13-May-2009, 09:35
A very good price - just those lens boards are worth 400$... :-;

venchka
13-May-2009, 09:41
Sounds like a good plan. If I ever had $4,000 at one time I could see myself buying this gear.

You will want more holders and a way to develop film. A tripod and head. You may want to consider selling the Lowepro backpack (digital folks will buy it) and get Photobackpacker gear. The Gnass gear things are well thought of and no longer made. Very desireable.

Good luck!

Gem Singer
13-May-2009, 09:48
This looks like a super outfit. The price is a little fat, but it sure will save the time and effort it takes to put a complete outfit together.

Having said that, this is someone else's idea of what constitutes a great 4X5 outfit.

For example, perhaps you would personally prefer the look of a 90, instead of a 75, or a 180, instead of a 150 and 210. Perhaps you prefer color film over B&W film. Perhaps you will never need those all of those accessories. The outfit does not include a light meter. An additional expense.

Maybe you can negotiate a deal on the camera and one of the lenses. Then you can build your own idea of what constitutes an ideal LF outfit.

Vick Vickery
13-May-2009, 09:56
Welcome to group therepy! You could do alot worse than that Acra Swiss outfit; you might save a little finding each item at bargain prices on eBay or somewhere, but it would be alot more trouble and take alot of time.

Peter De Smidt
13-May-2009, 09:56
It is a great set of gear, and if some of it doesn't work for you, you can always sell those bits. If the condition of everything is excellent, I say go for it, or at least make an offer.

Vick Vickery
13-May-2009, 09:59
Welcome to group therepy! You could do alot worse than that Acra Swiss outfit; you might save a little finding each item at bargain prices on eBay or somewhere, but it would be alot more trouble and take alot of time. :)

Ron Marshall
13-May-2009, 10:17
That is a reasonable price for the equipment. Perhaps you could assemble a kit that you would be happier with for much less money, but that is only possible after some hands on experience with LF cameras and lenses.

I recommend anyone starting LF first buy a cheaper used starter camera and one lens. Shoot that for a while then sell it if it doesn't suit them. At that point you should know what you want.

Alar70
14-May-2009, 07:16
Thanks everyone for the input I appreciate the responses.