PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 traveling questions

Santo Roman
10-May-2009, 22:27
OK. I'll be leaving for Italy in September and will be in the EU for at least one year. I have a few questions about traveling with my 4x5.

1. What kind of bag should I get? I have been thinking about a Domke bag that I can cram everything in:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/442867-REG/Domke_700_10D_F_1X_Shoulder_Bag_Olive_.html

2. What to bring?
-Light Meter
-Field camera
-lens, possibly 2, ok 2 lens
-10 or so film holders
-release cable
-dark cloth
-small can of air
-changing bag
-loupe

This is a rough list and since I'm not leaving for a bit I'm sure there will be things I need to add. Tripod I'll carry or strap somewhere. This might change the bag itself.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

santo

csant
10-May-2009, 23:05
Are you planning to develop "on-the-road", or will you hand film in to labs you'll pick on the way? I definetly would reccomend at least 2 lenses - and film, of course ;) I also always have a loupe with me.

Santo Roman
10-May-2009, 23:27
Ahh yes my loupe. That might help a bit. I plan to hand in the film to a lab in Rome. I'll be in the city most of the time. The rest I'll just pack my film and wait till I get back into town.

Can't believe i forgot about the loupe.

santo

eddie
11-May-2009, 04:38
do you have a house or will you be traveling the entire time living out of the bag?

i use a backpack style bag for traveling and shooting. i have several. the smallest is an expedition 3 by tamrac....quite small. it swallows my chamoinix 4x5, lens, and 4 holders. so small and light. i also have a larger backpack that houses my 8x10 chamonix or my 8x10 century universal.

if you have a house to base from take more film holders so you can shoot color and B&W or have different ISO films loaded.

depending on how heavy your out going bag is i some times buy a tripod when i arrive and if i am going back i find some one to leave it with when i go home. when i do take one most can be taken apart and packed into luggage.

extra empty boxes. changing tent.

taking a can of air on the plane is not what you want to do. buy it there or leave it out. i never use one.

have fun.

eddie

jp
11-May-2009, 04:40
The tripod you probably won't be able to carry on the plane, it could be used as a club. If you strap it to your luggage, duct tape it on REAL GOOD in addition to strapping, as luggage systems can easily work loose a couple small straps. You should probably not fly with the can of air too. compressed gasses are usually ground shipment.

Vaughn
11-May-2009, 07:22
I would consider a large backpack as your main piece of luggage. Then a smaller pack or bag that all your camera gear you would need for a day could fit into. This smaller bag should be able to fit into the larger main pack.

I traveled in Costa Rica (but only for 3.5 weeks) with a 4x5, taking public buses. In the main pack I used the lower compartment (meant for a sleeping bag) for all my clothes. My tripod and camera pack fit into the main compartment of the top-loading pack. While the main pack was large, it did not scream out "Expensive camera gear inside!". Plus I only had the one piece of luggage to deal with.

The camera pack was carry-on for the flights and the pod stayed inside the main pack. Over-all, I found it to be a good system.

Don't forget some type of notebook (I like the yellow Rite-in-the-Rain surveyors notebooks -- water proof and meant to be used with pencils) to keep track of your photographing.

Vaughn

Dennis
11-May-2009, 07:35
Hey Vaughn, I traveled with a 4x5 on a bus across Costa Rica. Luckily my case was sturdy enough to sit on because there were no seats available when I got on and I had to sit in back next to a pig and use my case as the seat.
Dennis

Bruce G. Collier
11-May-2009, 07:35
Here's what I use to organize myself before a trip:

Packing List
Camera
Lens(es)
Lensboards
Lens tool
Filters
Filter adapters (round, Tiffen)
Filter pouch
Tripod
Tripod head
Tripod quickreleases
Tripod bag
Light Meter
Flash
Batteries (flash, meter, flashlight)
Cable releases
Cleaning cloth
Magnifier
Magnifying glasses
Dark cloth
Film
Readyloader
Film bag
Leadlined film pouches
Sheet film tracking sheet
Info sheet
Writing pen
Tools
Flashlight
Back-up camera and lenses
US-to-<X> AC plug adapters

I don't always take all this, but it's a pretty good superset list (I reduced it of medium and DSLR items).

As for bags, I would recommend you go to a camera store and try out a few dozen. Comfort is key, and only you can answer that. I love my LowePro backpack (don't know the model) but it's about the size of a day pack (book bag). Not appropriate for lots of filmholders, but they do have larger sizes.

Regards, Bruce

henrysamson
11-May-2009, 07:36
I've carried a tripod strapped to the outside of my backpack several times over the past few years. Foreign and domestic. On one backpack which is not made for cameras I stick the legs in the side mesh pouch meant for a water bottle and then wrap the upper side strap around it before snugging same. I've never had trouble at security. Now, those dangerous large format film holders and film boxes usually raise some questions.

I prefer the non photo backpacks also as they don't give away what is inside. So many people with video carry tripods that they are not unusual either.

Hank

eric black
11-May-2009, 08:02
Take a look at all of the screws etc on your camera and other gear- finding various sized small allen wrenches etc... is no fun when on location. Air travel rattled a few things loose on my ARCA on a South American trip last year and finding one particular size of a small allen wrench to tighten some screws proved to be very difficult- a fix it kit is highly recommended.

Vaughn
11-May-2009, 08:15
Hey Vaughn, I traveled with a 4x5 on a bus across Costa Rica. Luckily my case was sturdy enough to sit on because there were no seats available when I got on and I had to sit in back next to a pig and use my case as the seat.
Dennis

Been there, done that! In fact, one time we (my wife and I) were in the back and a young kid was sitting against the back emergency door (the bus was the classic old school bus). Anyway the kid was fooling with the door latch as the bus was grinding its way up a hill. The door popped open and out goes the kid. Fortunately, the car behind was keeping its distance. Everyone yells "Stop!" (in Spanish, of course) and the parents grab the kid and we go on our way again. Here in the States, the parents would have sued the bus company.

We put our packs in with the rest of the luggage under the buses and tried to have seat on the same side so we could keep an eye on it -- taking it onto the bus would have been much safer. This was 15+ years ago and things have not gotten better, I am afraid.

Vaughn

PS...Eric's suggestion of a small took kit (along with some extra screws, etc) is a something I do also.

Santo Roman
11-May-2009, 11:59
I'll be living in Rome in a house so I'll have the option of heading home when ever I need to. I have empty boxes lying around. Won't be carrying any air o the plane. I have in the past but I think they will toss it, plus I can get it there. I'll pack the tripod under the plane.

I have been looking at the Backpack now or even a satchel style. I too don't want to attract attention as well. I used to cover the names on my cameras with black tape so people would not see what I was using.

thanks all.

santo

Richard Raymond
12-May-2009, 17:38
If you plan on buying sheet film in Rome (or Europe) you may want to buy Metric film holders. The metric film is a little smaller than the 4x5 inch film. (9cm x 12cm vs 10.1 x 12.7cm). The exterior dimensions of the holders are the same but this smaller film may create "flatness" issues for you.
Sounds like a great time. Best of luck with your trip.
Ric

msk2193
14-May-2009, 17:24
Tripods should not be an issue on flights. If the head comes off, I would hand carry that part nd put the legs in with your luggage to save your back and bucks in case you lose your checked luggage.
Canned air might be an issue, and is easy to buy anywhere in the EU.
Not sure about LF film, but most labs might be set up on AGFA not Kodak or Fuji as htey are in the USA. I would check with some "local" photographers in Rome.
Enjoy.

jeroldharter
14-May-2009, 18:20
Most of the time when traveling by plane, I pack my camera gear in a Pelican case which is indestructible and can be checked as baggage. You are not taking a lot of gear so you could get a Pelican case sized for carry on. Some of them have wheels which are nice for lugging around the airport. I take a separate bag, usually a Photobacker Backpack as checked baggage in which I put bulky items like a changing tent, darkcloth, clothes, etc. Then once I get to the destination I can use either the backpack or the Pelican depending on my preference.

Don't forget some extra film boxes and a bristle brush for cleaning film holders. I always forget a small flashlight or headlamp.

IanG
15-May-2009, 05:30
If you plan on buying sheet film in Rome (or Europe) you may want to buy Metric film holders. The metric film is a little smaller than the 4x5 inch film. (9cm x 12cm vs 10.1 x 12.7cm). The exterior dimensions of the holders are the same but this smaller film may create "flatness" issues for you.

Ric

The European suppliers sell 5x4 film, so don't even contemplate getting 9x12 holders there's only a limited range of 9x12 film availability unlike 5x4.

Fotoimpex in Berlin are an excellent source for film/chemistry etc and have an online store & catalogue, they ship throughout Europe (and also to the US/Canada).

The majority of labs will be Kodak/Fuji although some use Agfa or Tetenal etc chemistry.

Ian

Santo Roman
15-May-2009, 09:39
Ian,

Thanks for the info. I was going to pickup my stuff at BH but if there is someone in the area that has the same size of film, I'll just use them.

santo

77seriesiii
22-May-2009, 10:22
Man sounds like a fun time. Have you sourced a place to buy film and film developing yet?

./e

aduncanson
22-May-2009, 11:03
One more item to consider adding to your bag is a "framing tool ". I use a black 8x10 mount board with a 4x5 hole cut in the center and a string attached with knots at distances equal to the focal lengths of my lenses. This (or something like a Linhof Technika multifocal finder) will help you select your lens and shooting location before you unpack your camera and tripod.