PDA

View Full Version : Tripod Head with secure locking plate

James Rose
10-May-2009, 12:34
I have a 4x5 Technical camera and would like to mount it on my gitzo tripod. I would like to carry the camera attached to the tripod.!! What would be the best head and locking system so I don't have to worry about the camera falling off????? Thanks Jim Rose

John Schneider
10-May-2009, 13:21
Arca-Swiss or Ries

Archphoto
10-May-2009, 14:12
Most quick release heads have a second (safety) catch.
For the TC and my other gear I like the Manfrotto 410 geared head for its fine adjustability when leveling.
If you want to have a heavier geared head they have the 405 and 400.
Mind you: there is nothing "Junior" about the 410: it holds my RB67 with ease.

Peter

Peter De Smidt
10-May-2009, 15:07
Get a used Gitzo Rational Series 5 head. It has a large platform and slot. At the back of the slot, there's about 1/2" of metal. Use a hack saw to cut that off, which is really easy. Now take the tripod screw and screw it into the camera just until the threads disappear. The screw will now slide right onto the head. Tighten and the camera is very secure. If your camera has two mounting holes, then put a camera screw in both and slide them on the head. That way there's no chance of the camera spinning.

The ARCA style quick release is really nice, as John has already mentioned. I recommend one of the Giotto's ARCA-style clamps. Their big one runs about $60, including a nice plate.

See:
http://www.amazon.com/Giottos-QR-Adapter-MH648-Plate/dp/B001941WGW

Santo Roman
10-May-2009, 23:18
I was actually looking for a new head for my tripod as well. I have the Manfrotto 3221 with a proball 308RC, needless to say that I really don't want the ball any longer. I can live with the quick release because it makes for a faster break down. Any thoughts on the head I should get. I was looking at a 3 way but also think I should get a larger plate since I will be using it with the 4x5 field camera.

Any thought would be helpful.

santo

Archphoto
11-May-2009, 05:48
The perfect head for your 4x5 field is the Manfrotto 410 geared head.
Large mounting plate and a lot heavier than their description "Junior" ......

I bought one from a cathalogue and had it send to me to Brazil to use it with some heavy DSLR.
When it finaly arrived it seemed to be a bit too heavy for what I had in mind.
It works great with a RB67 and it will with your camera.

Peter

James Rose
11-May-2009, 07:23
Thanks Peter. Does the 410 have the second saftey latch? Jim

Santo Roman
11-May-2009, 09:37
Thanks Peter. Jim, I think there is a quick release for this head but I could not find out for sure. Here is the link for the head.

http://www.manfrotto.com/page3752.html

It sells for about $200.

More than I really wanted to spend, but hey you only live once. I'll check it out on tuesday when I'm at BH. I'll let you know whats the down low on the head.

santo

Peter De Smidt
11-May-2009, 10:35
I also have a 410. It's a nice head, although I don't like the quick release system. An Arca-style clamp solves that problem.

Archphoto
11-May-2009, 10:36
It has a large (8,5x6,5 cm) quick release plate with second safety latch.
It comes with 2 camera screws: one 1/4 and one 3/8, either of them can be stored below the quick release plate holder.

Peter

Stephen Lewis
11-May-2009, 11:58
Hi James

I also use the Manfrotto 410 head. Once the camera's mounted on the head, the locking lever can be 'nipped up' tight, making it impossible for the camera to come adrift.

I wouldn't recommend carrying the camera mounted on the tripod over your shoulder though. Apart from the possibility of knocking it against things, it's one hand less for your own protection should you stumble.

James Rose
11-May-2009, 14:42
Hi James

I also use the Manfrotto 410 head. Once the camera's mounted on the head, the locking lever can be 'nipped up' tight, making it impossible for the camera to come adrift.

I wouldn't recommend carrying the camera mounted on the tripod over your shoulder though. Apart from the possibility of knocking it against things, it's one hand less for your own protection should you stumble.

James Rose
11-May-2009, 14:43
Steve thanks for the information. Like your web site. JIM

James Rose
11-May-2009, 16:06
Thanks Peter. Jim, I think there is a quick release for this head but I could not find out for sure. Here is the link for the head.

http://www.manfrotto.com/page3752.html

It sells for about $200.

More than I really wanted to spend, but hey you only live once. I'll check it out on tuesday when I'm at BH. I'll let you know whats the down low on the head.

santo
Thanks Santo. Let me know if it has a secondary safty latch? Jim

Lenny Eiger
11-May-2009, 16:14
I have a 4x5 Technical camera and would like to mount it on my gitzo tripod. I would like to carry the camera attached to the tripod.!! What would be the best head and locking system so I don't have to worry about the camera falling off????? Thanks Jim Rose

I purchased a NovoFlex ball head 5 with quick release that is truly amazing. I'm still trying to sell it because I went back to a Gitzo magnesium three way head. This is very much opinion - but it just makes more sense to me to limit the movement to the three ways the head can move. When I am working with a grid on the ground glass, it just seems that going in one direction or another makes things easier. Gitzo makes two of them, one for 4x5 and one for 8x10. that's the way I would go. (Unless you want to consider purchasing my Novoflex, in which case that is definitely better. ;-) )

Lenny

dsphotog
11-May-2009, 21:52
You'll want to see one....First one I saw, I knew I wanted one!!
The 510 gearhead has a locking lever, you must push a release button to open the lever.....Seems rather safe, It's kinda protected by the camera bed... but it could get bumped...
If carried over a shoulder, a large camera can twist loose & turn on the QR plate.
But when that happens you'll feel it!

Archphoto
12-May-2009, 09:20
One thing nobody mentioned so far: the connection between the tripod mounting plate and the head: Manfrotto has tripod mounting plates with 3 extra screws.
You mount the head on the mounting plate and then secure it's position with these 3 srews.
In this way the head (with camera) can not come loose of the tripod accidentely by unsrewing itself.

Peter

gevalia
12-May-2009, 09:38
Hi James

This is an excellent point! Last winter I left the camera on the tripod for a short 1/4 mile walk. Yes, I slid down an ice covered hill but I had the mental awareness to hold the tripod and camera high - taking the brunt of the fall on my butt. When I got up, I slid again this time with the camera hitting the ice. It hit hard. I took the camera apart and found no problems. But I will not do that again. For hikes, it goes in the pack and doesn't stay on the tripod.

J D Clark
12-May-2009, 11:23
I try to avoid carrying the camera on the tripod -- only for very short distances, and never with a lens mounted. In any case, the only way I'm comfortable carrying the tripod with the camera on it is with the camera firmly mounted without a quick release plate. I have a Linhof and thread the camera directly into the head -- that gives me the assurance it will stay put on the tripod.

John Clark
www.johndclark.com

Bob Salomon
12-May-2009, 12:08
John Sexton uses the Linhof 3-Way leveling head and the Linhof Quickfix quick release for his Master Technika 2000.

Gem Singer
12-May-2009, 13:01
Hey Bob,

Does John know that you are using his name for the Linhof endorsement?

If not, don't you think you should let him know so that the two of you can work out some sort of payment for John's endorsement?

Bob Salomon
12-May-2009, 13:58
Hey Bob,

Does John know that you are using his name for the Linhof endorsement?

If not, don't you think you should let him know so that the two of you can work out some sort of payment for John's endorsement?

John knows.

Gem Singer
12-May-2009, 14:32
Yes Bob, but does John approve of HP marketing using his endorsement, gratis?

I use a few Rodenstock lenses and Gepe cable releases. Can we work out a deal?http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Bob Salomon
12-May-2009, 15:00
We have no deals with any photographer. Anna and John have been friends for many years. In John's case, decades.

Gem Singer
12-May-2009, 15:12
Okay Bob, the next time I talk to John, I'll give him your regards.

Santo Roman
14-May-2009, 15:13
Gem,

I do not believe there was a safety latch, but once the camera is on there, it won't come off.

santo