PDA

View Full Version : Tele-lenses, advise needed…

Eirik Berger
9-May-2009, 13:14
I am looking for a tele-lens for my 4x5" field-camera in the range 350-450mm. I want a tele construction since my camera (Toyo 45CF) has limited possibilites for extending the bellow further than about 350 mm. And since I plan to use this lens for portraits and objects relative close to the camera I would soon run into problems if I choose just a long lens.

At the moment I have to lenses I know is available at a reasonable price ($300-$400):
• Fujinon T-400mm f/8
• Schneider Tele Arton 360mm f/5,5

I am not very familiar with the different tele-lenses for large format. And since I am not in a rush here I would ask you guys for advise before i hit the "click-here-to-buy-button". Are there other lenses I should look for?

Walter Calahan
9-May-2009, 13:35
Both lenses would serve you well.

I can only speak from using Fujinon and Nikkor tele lenses. My Fujinon are flawless.

Ed Richards
9-May-2009, 13:54
I just got a 1950s Tele Arton 270mm in mint condition from Igor's Camera. Not a huge amount of excess image circle, but I was amazed how sharp the negatives are. This was 3 weeks ago, and at the time Igor also had the 360mm, which was part of the same lot as mine. I was looking for a lens to handhold, so the 360mm was too long, but after seeing the results of the 270mm, I was tempted to go back for it. The one down side is that these are not press to focus so you have to set the Compur to T to keep shutter open. The price should be about 2/3s of the Fuji. (I had a Fuji 400, which was fine, but when it was stolen, I replaced it with a Fuji-C 450mm.

Arne Croell
10-May-2009, 00:14
Due to the larger opening (and its construction), the Tele-Arton is much larger and probably heavier than the Fuji. However, if you contemplate using it wide open for portraits with a small DOF, the f/5.5 might serve you better than f/8.

Joseph O'Neil
10-May-2009, 08:46
Tele-lens can be rather large and heavy, at least in comparison to other lens you might have either seen or used.

From the sounds of things, you are planning on using these lenses in a studio setting, and that's not an issue. but if you ever go hiking or backpacking with your gear, those lenses get real heavy, real fast, so bear that in mind.

joe

Gene McCluney
10-May-2009, 10:12
There is also the Tele-Xenon, and for economy there are a couple of Komura Large-Format tele lenses you can find used. There is a 400mm and a 500mm that both produce nice sharp results on 4x5. They are true tele lenses with short bellows draw. I have used both on my Super-Graphic. The 400mm Komura is in a Copal 1 shutter, the 500mm is in a Copal 3 shutter.

Bill_1856
10-May-2009, 13:07
You might consider the 10" Tele-Raptar, which is an excellent portrait lens (although a little shorter than your specifications). It is inexpensive, light, quite sharp, and has a press-focus mechanism on the shutter.

Mick Fagan
12-May-2009, 04:29
I have a Komura f6.3 400 tele, which I use on my Shen Hao 4x5. It is in a Copal 3 shutter and weighs 901gms without lens caps.

Physically it is quite big, front to rear measurement is approximately 148mm, the shutter is about the same size as the lens board and it has a single coating.

Filter ring size is (roughly) 67mm, measured with a plastic ruler

Mick.

Philippe Grunchec
12-May-2009, 10:43
I have a Schneider/Linhof Tele-Xenar 5,5/360 with a Compound shutter, which I use on my Toyo 45 AII: I juste love it!

Matus Kalisky
14-May-2009, 14:39
probably the lightest you may get is the Osaka 400/8. It weights 500g - what may be interesting for you (I do not know how stron is the fron standard of the CF).

It is not my sharpest lens, but I an now comparing to Fujinon A 240/9 and Fujinon CM-W 125/5.6. I will be getting a few Imacon X5 scans (2040 dpi) soon so I may submit a 100% cut-out for you to judge.

The price tends to be quite reasonable - around $300 what is less than the Fujinon 400T (600g) or the Nikkor 360T (800g) which may perform better (just a guess).

I would personally like to replace it with something like Fujinon C 450, but first I would have to get a different camera ...

The coverage is sufficient (though nothing to write home about), but you have to be careful when applying front tilts or swings. Given the lens construction you have a long "level arm" - so even with a small tilt the image circle moves rather rapidly (tru for all tele-lenses).

jnantz
14-May-2009, 17:11
You might consider the 10" Tele-Raptar, which is an excellent portrait lens (although a little shorter than your specifications). It is inexpensive, light, quite sharp, and has a press-focus mechanism on the shutter.

the 15" tele-raptar would work fine :)

Eirik Berger
14-May-2009, 17:54
It is not my sharpest lens, but I an now comparing to Fujinon A 240/9 and Fujinon CM-W 125/5.6. I will be getting a few Imacon X5 scans (2040 dpi) soon so I may submit a 100% cut-out for you to judge.

The coverage is sufficient (though nothing to write home about), but you have to be careful when applying front tilts or swings. Given the lens construction you have a long "level arm" - so even with a small tilt the image circle moves rather rapidly (tru for all tele-lenses).

Thank you, I would appreciate that.

Huge movements on a tele lense is of minor concern to me. It will be used for portraits and close objects. A narrow depth of field in other words, so movements to alter the focal plane will not (or rarely) be used.

Don Dudenbostel
14-May-2009, 18:27
I've owned two of the Schneider Tele Arton 360's and had the last one for about thirty years. There's plenty of coverage for even 5x7 with it and I understand it will just cover 8x10. It's quite sharp and has excellent contrast and color. The major down side is size if you want a small lens. If I remember correctly the front element is 95mm and the ones I had were in copal 3 shutters. It only took about 210mm for back focus at infinity. Having f5.5 is very nice for focusing.

I sold my last one and bought a Nikkot T 360/500/720 set and have been very pleased. I actually like the Nikkor set a little better but the speed of the 360mm is f8. The upside is it's relatively small.

Don't know about the Fuji.

If you want shallow DOF the Tele Arton at f5.5 is a winner and it's very sharp wide open.