PDA

View Full Version : Technika III 4x5 rangefinder adjustment

Manneke
9-May-2009, 10:54
I recently got my hands on a 4x5 Technika III version 5 s/n 60072 with three lenses (90, 150, 240) and corresponding (matching lens and body nos) cams and distance indicators.
My problem is that I do not manage in making the rangefinder focus correctly for all three lenses: if I adjust it e.g. for the 150, it will be out of focus for the other two.
Also, when I focus to infinite, the indicator on the scale is not at infinite but e.g at 30m (for the 240mm). In other words, when pulling out the front standard and having it snap into the infinite stop, it is not focused on infinite but needs to be extended about 7mm to be in focus. So finder, scale and groundglass do not correlate...
The only place I know to adjust the rangefinder is below the unit.
Of course I can work with it without a functioning but it seems I'm just missing something simple here and would love to have it function flawlessly...

Thanks for any suggestion!

Robert

douglas antonio
9-May-2009, 11:55
robert,

i believe it would be a good idea to get in touch with richard ritter at info@lg4mat.net.
as far as i know he can still calibrate technika III's and possibly advise you on anything you can do yourself. otherwise it may be possible to send camera, lenses and cams to him to see whether he can adjust it for you. all depends on where you are located ...

i believe it is not all that easy to DIY. but maybe somebody else jumps in to give you a direction.

douglas

douglas antonio
9-May-2009, 11:59
another thing.

i have a V. the track has to be set back to the housing bed to get the proper position for the 90 mm lens at the infinity stop. only my 150 and 210 lenses are set having the track in the normal position. i could imagine it would be the same with the III. have you checked that?

Manneke
9-May-2009, 12:32
Unfortunately I'm aware of that: the upper track has to be retracted for the 90mm and there are different colour-coded infinity stops for each lens.
I'm located in Finland so sending it off to the US might be costing a small fortune. At the same I'm not aware of anyone nearby who might know how to fix it. At least the local guy kept it for almost a year before giving up...

Archphoto
9-May-2009, 12:37
@Manneke: if you are located in Holland or Belgium, there is an importer of Linhof for the Benelux in Belgium, I have the email adres if interested.

Normaly the groundglass is your reference.
After that you will have to find the right spot for the stoppers on the rail for your front standard.
As mentioned, with the 90mm SA that rail has to be moved back towards the back of the camera, but not entirely ! There must be some room between the rail in the housing and the rail of the bed.
If that lines up nicely and you have infinity sharp on your GG the rangefinder should give you propper focus.
Check allso if the knifes for the rangefinder are all the way in !

Peter

Archphoto
9-May-2009, 12:56
The best place to send to is the factory, located in München, Germany.
All contact data can be found on www.linhof.de (http://www.linhof.de)
They will ask you to send them the camera, the lenses and the knifes for the rangefinder.

Check the things out abouve first before you decide to send the camera, maybe I can help you (as a repairman) through this forum to find out where the real problem is first.

Greetings,
Peter

ic-racer
9-May-2009, 13:53
From the OP it seems like all you need to do is re-set your infinity stops.

Juergen Sattler
9-May-2009, 14:15
AFAIK Linhof will not touch any Technikas IIIs. They do not service them anymore. Your best bet is a third party, like Richard Ritter.

Archphoto
9-May-2009, 15:02
@ Jürgen: I don't agree with that: setting up the knifes is a common practice for them, setting up the infinity stops allso and adjusting the range finder should be easy esp for them known with the innards of this camera.

I even think no parts are needed, maybe the knifes (stock for them), cause I don't know what the latest repairman did to them.

Peter

Peter K
9-May-2009, 16:39
@ Jürgen: I don't agree with that: setting up the knifes is a common practice for them, setting up the infinity stops allso and adjusting the range finder should be easy esp for them known with the innards of this camera.
The Technika III has no infinity stops as the Technika IV and newer. There are notches filed in the upper track. It's possible the notches where made for the old single plate holder back and the camera is now equipped with a back for double film holders. So new notches have to be filed in the track.

Robert, can you show some pictures of the camera?

Peter K

Manneke
10-May-2009, 02:57
I attached some images (sorry for the quality, I'm no digifreak) that show the international back (which together with the serial number (60079) makes me believe it's one of the latest (version 5) Technika IIIs. Also the infinity notches and the distance scale are visible.
Hope this helps!

Robert

Peter K
10-May-2009, 03:24
Robert, the international back is the original one made for late T III's. Also the conical knobs where used for late T III's and early T IV's. Have you checked the ground-glass is mounted in the proper way, rough surface to the lens?

Peter K

Juergen Sattler
10-May-2009, 03:29

I even think no parts are needed, maybe the knifes (stock for them), cause I don't know what the latest repairman did to them.

Peter

I called them a couple of years ago (Linhof Muenchen) about a part I needed for my Tech III, Version 5 and was told that they had no more parts for these older versions and that they would not service them anymore. The OP should call them up of course but don't get your hopes up!

Manneke
10-May-2009, 05:01
Peter K,

Groundglass seems to be the right way: focusing is done off the smooth side => rough side on the inside of the camera.

Archphoto
10-May-2009, 05:03
Stocking parts is not their strongest point, I agree.
Some years ago I wanted a spare 3d head, the heaviest they ever made and even did nit have enough spare parts to build a new one..... Only 2 were ever sold in Holland, I have one of them and use it for my Sinar P2 8x10.

At times I get the feeling and wish to say to the guy: why don't you drop in and I will have a look at it.
A bit impossible at 11.000 km distance, I am in Brazil now, but still got my appartment in Holland.

Photo's help a lot though.

Sorry if I underestimated the situation.

Peter

Peter K
10-May-2009, 06:17
Stocking parts is not their strongest point, I agree.
The last Technika III was made 1955, this is 54 years ago. So look for spare parts for another technical product of this age. It will be hard to find the factory.

Peter K

Bob Salomon
10-May-2009, 06:43
The last Technika III was made 1955, this is 54 years ago. So look for spare parts for another technical product of this age. It will be hard to find the factory.

Peter K

His was made in 56 the very last III was made in Oct of 1960.

Archphoto
10-May-2009, 08:37
Still got some some brand new parts in stock for Rolleiflex's dating back to when I was born: in 1953........

Peter

Peter K
10-May-2009, 08:56
His was made in 56 the very last III was made in Oct of 1960.
Was made or was sold? That's a difference. There was always one or two of the old models in stock.

Bob Salomon
10-May-2009, 09:03
Was made or was sold? That's a difference. There was always one or two of the old models in stock.

Made.