PDA

View Full Version : A tale of woe and the incomparable Mr Zhang

Mike Tuomey
9-May-2009, 04:52
I feel compelled to share my brief story because it epitomizes service excellence that deserves recognition.

After two unsuccessful attempts last year to acquire a used 4x5 camera (my first), one on eBay and the other from a member here, I decided to order a Chamonix 45N from Hugo Zhang. My thinking was a new camera would avoid the pitfalls of the two used ones I had to return: undisclosed malfunctions.

The Chamonix arrived last fall. Not having all the needed items on hand yet, the camera was put away and I continued to assemble the bits and bobs of my kit over the winter, and so was ready to get out and shoot this spring. That's when I discovered several small but annoying problems with the camera: dry levels, a missing spring or two, some scratches.

I contacted Mr Zhang who immediately sent replacement levels he had in stock, then had the factory ship additional parts that arrived very quickly. The problem, very likely caused by my poor communication, was the replacement fittings were not the right color and weren't complete. When I brought this to his attention, Mr Zhang offered to refund my entire purchase price, stating that this had gone on too long, should never have happened, and that he was sorry for my trouble.

I'm sure my experience with the Chamonix is an isolated occurrence - that isn't the point of my story. What is the point is that I am sure that my experience of Mr Zhang's exemplary integrity is no isolated occurrence. He is a delight, pure and simple.

As the saying goes, without hyperbole, one can buy from him with complete confidence.

Walter Calahan
9-May-2009, 06:22
Things happen, but when we see people providing exemplary service to fix these 'things', it really warms one's heart.

Richard K.
9-May-2009, 07:00
Waiting on my third (format) Chamonix, I can certainly vouch for Mr. Zhang's professionalism, integrity and eager helpfulness. In addition, he is a very groovy person! :D

mandoman7
9-May-2009, 07:46
Perhaps this is off topic, but in my 25 yrs. of photography, shooting and purchasing cameras, I've never had an occasion when I didn't shoot photos within 48 hrs. of the arrival of a new piece of equipment. I can't understand how people can buy a wonderful tool for self expression and then put it in the closet.
My new Chamonix was shooting photos within 72 hrs. of leaving China!

Mike Tuomey
9-May-2009, 08:11
John, the reason in my case for tucking the camera away is that I was in the process of assembling my kit. At the time I didn't have film holders or lens boards ...

This is my first foray into LF, so perhaps my failure to use the camera right away is understandable. Mr Zhang was clearly patient and gracious with my delay in providing for a return/refund privilege.

Jim Galli
9-May-2009, 09:31
Never was worried about Hugo, but I'm a little worried about you Mike if it took that much effort to get something perfect enough to actually use. You are using it?

Marko
9-May-2009, 09:45
Things happen, but when we see people providing exemplary service to fix these 'things', it really warms one's heart.

It does, indeed. Although it does not surprise me the least bit in this case.

What I find equally heart-warming is to see someone willing to give good credit where such credit is due. This does not happen very often in these mean, self-centered times and, IMHO, it speaks well of both parties.

:)

Mike Tuomey
9-May-2009, 10:00
Marko, it is a pleasure to provide a testamonial to Hugo Zhang. He is a special person.

Thanks for asking, Jim G. It might appear I'm fetishizing a bit, but if you looked at my 35mm gear you wouldn't think so. The Chamonix problems were quite minor from the perspective of actual use but, being the first camera I've bought new in many years and being expensive to me, I thought these details should have been right in the first place (thumbwheel springs, levels, etc). That's all, but maybe I'm expecting too much.

Previously I bought and then returned a Horsemen LE because its focus gearing was stripped. Similar experience with a Toyo G bought here. The Chamonix has reluctantly been returned. I've just been unlucky, I guess, in my LF camera search.

On the other hand, I now have all the other items assembled and need only a body to start shooting. I haven't given up, believe me.

Paul Kierstead
9-May-2009, 12:17
The Chamonix has reluctantly been returned.

Why? I am sure the right colour fittings, etc., could be had.

mandoman7
9-May-2009, 12:48
John, the reason in my case for tucking the camera away is that I was in the process of assembling my kit. At the time I didn't have film holders or lens boards ...

This is my first foray into LF, so perhaps my failure to use the camera right away is understandable. Mr Zhang was clearly patient and gracious with my delay in providing for a return/refund privilege.

I know. There's other stuff that's needed.
But would you buy a TV, then wait a while, and then buy an extension cord, and then wait a while until you could found a good table, when you know you're going to need that stuff anyway?
You should be telling me to screw myself about now:)
For me, the possibility of what a piece of equipment can do will drive me crazy until I've had a chance to check it out.

Heroique
9-May-2009, 13:02
I haven't given up, believe me.

Mike, I almost gave up at the start.

Instead, I purchased my first 4x5 camera, knowing in advance I wouldn’t be able to take it into the field for several weeks. (Never mind why, uninteresting personal reasons.)

A case of “poor” timing, perhaps: One person asked whether I cared about the bank interest I was losing for an expensive purchase I wasn’t using.

But at purchase time, I had decided that when I could walk into the forest and begin shooting landscapes, I wanted my camera ready at moment’s notice. There would be no wait. Not 72 hours. Not 48. Not 24. Not a second.

Much later, after many photos, I became aware of making the very mistake I had earlier avoided:

I needed a second camera for occasional architecture shots with very sophisticated movements. But this second camera wasn’t “at hand,” like the first one. I had to purchase it – after needing it in the field. Then I had to wait for it. I ordered expedited delivery. I had to wait 48 hours. The most painful eternity I’ve suffered for any camera purchase.

Mike Tuomey
9-May-2009, 13:38
Thanks for the fellowship, John and Heroique. My fumbling and bumbling to get my kit together is dull stuff, so I won't belabor it. The real point is the excellent service provided by Mr Zhang, which hasn't been a revelation to anyone. Which is no small thing.

Darryl Baird
9-May-2009, 14:29
Mike, I fully understand wanting things to be just right. I've been working to get my "house in order" for two years, buying & testing equipment and lenses, trying different films, papers, etc. I bought a beginner 8x10, then a studio monorail, then a Chamonix. I have more than three lenses in my basement that I haven't shot with yet, and a freezer full of film. The big project I was working towards was put back another year (till NEXT summer) and I'll have another year of practice under my belt. I teach and chair a university department... I have precious little time to follow my passion and when I do I'm quite neurotic about how I proceed.

Why others have to question your wanting something to suit your personal preferences is beyond me... seems grumpy and meddlesome. It's all good, don't sweat the shrillness here. (Hugo is great, IMHO too)

I recently reviewed a grad photo student's portfolio who was working on an OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) topic and I laughed out loud when he asked if I thought it too radical. While I neatly rearranged the items he had placed onto the desk, including his cell phone, laptop, prints, and keys I said I thought he hadn't even scratched the surface. :)

Being particular about our space and personal world is A-OK.

GPS
9-May-2009, 14:31
Mike, maybe you're not such a rare animal with your buying habits, after all... I have to say that when I purchased my first 4x5 camera (a cherry wood Wista DX) I knew I would not be using it for some time - I didn't have any lens for it. In fact, my friend went to NY so I told him to get it for me, the lens would come with more money later... I bought the camera only because I didn't have a place for my workshop where I wanted to make my own LF camera.
The story goes on - I've made a few pictures with this Wista but abandoned it for my home made 4x5 camera, built some time later. I still have this Wista, more or less for sentimental reasons, in a "like new" state... Meanwhile, the main bulk of my photo agencies pictures is made with my home made cameras...
What is interesting is the different reading of your post. While some wonder over your passivity in using the camera, I read in it more about the Chamonix camera quality. To sell a camera with several (?) dead levels and missing crucial parts shows the bad QC of the manufacturer. I'm not surprised at all that Hugo was so willing to get to the bottom of it all. After all, not doings so would be in the same class as the original purchased camera quality.

Mike Tuomey
10-May-2009, 07:12
Darryl and GPS, thanks for the support. The point of posting was to give credit to Hugo Zhang, and to that end only to supply enough background to foster appreciation for his integrity and professionalism. My idiosyncracies aren't interesting. Hopefully I'll get my kit sorted out soon, learn a few things about LF, have some fun, and make a few pictures I can be proud of.

The "woe" in the title is exaggeration, not literal. I was kidding and probably should change it. Gotta be more careful implying tone on the web.

Jim Fitzgerald
10-May-2009, 08:13
Hugo, is top notch! Good friend and great photographer. He understands the passion of photography and provides excellent service across the board. Your post does not surprise me. You will be hard pressed to find someone nicer.

Jim

mandoman7
10-May-2009, 08:21
What is interesting is the different reading of your post. While some wonder over your passivity in using the camera, I read in it more about the Chamonix camera quality. To sell a camera with several (?) dead levels and missing crucial parts shows the bad QC of the manufacturer. I'm not surprised at all that Hugo was so willing to get to the bottom of it all. After all, not doings so would be in the same class as the original purchased camera quality.

A manufacturer will have to rely on suppliers for components on occasion, and be faced with a compromise. It could be that the cost of getting better bubble levels might have added significantly to the price, which is remarkably low for the overall quality of construction. There are a lot of instances of incredible products that have some kind of anomaly.
I read the posts about the levels before buying, proceeded to get one, and can say that the construction is not haphazard. Its a solid piece. And I know that because.....I've been using it :-)

Hugo Zhang
10-May-2009, 11:09
Mike,

Thank you for these nice words, but I am really a little embarrassed because I only did what I should do. Chamonix is still a very young company and is still learning things like quality control and customer services as it grows. Members from this forum are the best class of people for them and they are working hard to meet the demand as well as to refine their products.

The level bubbles they used for the last two batches of 45N-1 cameras have quality issues. About 3-5% of them are reported to have lost part or all its fluid. The factory told me that they had searched high and low in China and it was the best bubble level supplier they could find. Paul from this forum pointed me to a supplier in UK and after testing the samples, the factory asked me to order all their inventory of the right size and these level bubbles have arrived at our factory. They cost six times more, but we have the best level bubbles now. :)

Some update about 45N-1 cameras: the factory is making its next and last batch of them with expected shipping in August. They have run out walnut wood and for this last batch they are using dark teak wood instead. We have not finalized the details of the new 45 cameras for the next year yet.

vinny
10-May-2009, 11:46
Hugo, any chance I can trade out my bellows for another one which could be infrared proof? I received an email from one 45N user that has had success shooting a fair amount of IR film.

Gary Tarbert
1-May-2011, 02:27
Just a note to let everybody know i have had my Chamonix 5x8 for about 2 months now very happy with it , only one small issue used the 5x4 reducing back for the first time this week and it can be rather arkward to remove the darkslide, but i suspect this would be the case with all reducing backs by their very design .Love the product so much i have ordered a 4x5 -n2 as my backpacking camera:) . Thanks Hugo

Brian Ellis
1-May-2011, 09:06
Relax guys. He doesn't have to justify his actions to you or anyone else.

lbenac
1-May-2011, 09:16
Hugo confirmed that my Chamonix 45-N2 will ship on May 15th :) . I cannot wait to start using it. I have all the kit ready, read twice "Using the View Camera" and dreaming of tilting the back standard every night :D

I decided for a Chamonix for exactly the same reasons:
1) I have plenty of "oldies but goodies" in MF and wanted something new and problem free (to limit issues with the operator only)
2) Read that everybody has had a good experience with Hugo/Chamonix

I hope that you are now enjoying your camera in full earnest.

Cheers,

Luc

BrianShaw
1-May-2011, 12:35
Relax guys. He doesn't have to justify his actions to you or anyone else.

It seem to me that all of the justifications were done and finished two (2) years ago. Hopefully everybody has relaxed already. Now it's your turn, Brian. :eek: