PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix 45n-1 at full rack

Michael Ackerman
8-May-2009, 16:51
Hello guys and gals,

I am really interested in the Chamonix 45n-1. I have a Wista SP that I like, but it has a few design issues that make it less convenient than I would like.
I have a 300mm lens that, when focused, is really far from the tripod attachment with the Wista, big lever for movement! It looks like the Cham may have a smaller lever arm due to the rear extension. But I have not seen a pic with it extended fully with a lens like the 300 on it. I would also like to see a pic with the extra extension for using even longer lenses installed. Anybody able to help?
I also love my 75mm lens but have a hard time with the wista as it is so close to the rear standard when focused. I wonder if someone with a Cham and a 75 might focus it and take a pic so we can see how close the standards are with this setup?

Thanks,
Michael Ackerman
www.MichaelAckermanPhotography.com

VishalMathur
8-May-2009, 19:07
Chamonix 45n-1 with a 300mm.

Turner Reich
8-May-2009, 19:18
Royal Arches, Yosemite NP.

Harley Goldman
8-May-2009, 19:58
No photos, but I use mine with a Nikkor 300m without the extension bracket and with the Fujinon C 450mm with the bracket with no problems at all. I have no problem using it with a Schneider 80mm either, with the standard bellows. It allows a small amt. of movement.

mandoman7
9-May-2009, 08:05
Hello guys and gals,

I am really interested in the Chamonix 45n-1. I have a Wista SP that I like, but it has a few design issues that make it less convenient than I would like.
I have a 300mm lens that, when focused, is really far from the tripod attachment with the Wista, big lever for movement! It looks like the Cham may have a smaller lever arm due to the rear extension. But I have not seen a pic with it extended fully with a lens like the 300 on it. I would also like to see a pic with the extra extension for using even longer lenses installed. Anybody able to help?
I also love my 75mm lens but have a hard time with the wista as it is so close to the rear standard when focused. I wonder if someone with a Cham and a 75 might focus it and take a pic so we can see how close the standards are with this setup?

Thanks,
Michael Ackerman
www.MichaelAckermanPhotography.com

Are you offering payment for people to do these shoots for you? :-)
I'm not going to do the photos, but I do use a 305 & 75 with a Chamonix and it handles both extremes as well as any monorail. The downside, compared to the conventional rack arrangements, is that switching between the extremes means disconnecting the front standard and relocating it, which takes a few more seconds than just racking it out like my old Deardorff. Once reconnected, though, the rigidity in combination with movements is all that you'd want from a camera. Many authoritative figures agree.
I have the universal bellows which allows the 75 to move around well beyond its coverage. Not sure how the conventional bellows handles that lens.
The fact that people are able to resell their Chamonix's for 90% of new price had a significant impact on my decision to purchase, and it didn't disappoint.

gevalia
10-May-2009, 10:48
Sorry I have no pic but I often use my Goerz 14" on my Chamonix. Just never a problem. I believe that's 356mm or there abouts.

Robert Oliver
10-May-2009, 12:17
me....

and a 75mm Grandagon on my 45n-1

Robert Oliver
10-May-2009, 12:53
I found it very difficult to work with a 75mm lens on my 45n-1 with the standard bellows. The universal bellows works great with wide angle.

I have a 300mm lens and don't even come close to the end of the bellows. I'm still trying to decide on a longer lens for this camera.

Are you offering payment for people to do these shoots for you? :-)
I'm not going to do the photos, but I do use a 305 & 75 with a Chamonix and it handles both extremes as well as any monorail. The downside, compared to the conventional rack arrangements, is that switching between the extremes means disconnecting the front standard and relocating it, which takes a few more seconds than just racking it out like my old Deardorff. Once reconnected, though, the rigidity in combination with movements is all that you'd want from a camera. Many authoritative figures agree.
I have the universal bellows which allows the 75 to move around well beyond its coverage. Not sure how the conventional bellows handles that lens.
The fact that people are able to resell their Chamonix's for 90% of new price had a significant impact on my decision to purchase, and it didn't disappoint.

Songyun
10-May-2009, 12:59
I found it very difficult to work with a 75mm lens on my 45n-1 with the standard bellows. The universal bellows works great with wide angle.

I have a 300mm lens and don't even come close to the end of the bellows. I'm still trying to decide on a longer lens for this camera.

Maybe the new schneider 350mm? :D

Archphoto
10-May-2009, 13:35
@ Robert: you are right: a wooden tripod belongs to a wooden camera !
Looks great.
Getting my Shen Hao in next week: have to start thinking about a new tripod.....
Got a great alu one, so no rush.

Peter

Michael Ackerman
10-May-2009, 21:04
Thanks to everyone for the info on the Cham and lens combos. I really appreciate the pics. Looks like I need to sell some stuff and buy a Cham! When I get the bits for the Wista SP I may just sell that...

Michael

JON BUTLER
12-May-2009, 12:16
Hi,
The U/bellows really are a great help with using movement even with
a 90mm lens.
JON

vinny
12-May-2009, 14:26
I'd like to mention that, at full extension, the 45N-1 has a fair amount of play in the geared portion of the camera. I hadn't noticed it until a friend who was checking out the camera pointed it out. I don't know if it's gotten worse with use or not but I prefer to keep the front standard geared out no more than I have to and use the rear extension instead. It seems the rig is sturdier that way. I also made my own extension bracked that allows me to use my 450mm. Chamonix didn't have their bracket for sale at the time. I'll post a pic if anyone is interested.

Ulrich Drolshagen
12-May-2009, 21:25
Yes Vinny, I definitely would like to see what it's like

Ulrich

Jeremy Moore
13-May-2009, 11:56
I'd like to mention that, at full extension, the 45N-1 has a fair amount of play in the geared portion of the camera. I hadn't noticed it until a friend who was checking out the camera pointed it out. I don't know if it's gotten worse with use or not but I prefer to keep the front standard geared out no more than I have to and use the rear extension instead. It seems the rig is sturdier that way. I also made my own extension bracked that allows me to use my 450mm. Chamonix didn't have their bracket for sale at the time. I'll post a pic if anyone is interested.

I use mine racked all the way out with a 360mm lens quite often and have had no problems, it's really solid.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3427/3262608386_2da010b226.jpg

vinny
19-Jul-2009, 00:41

Someone just pm'd me regarding my home made extension bracket. It uses metric M8 hardware from mcmaster carr. I hope this helps.
vinny

Ulrich Drolshagen
6-Aug-2009, 12:35
Someone just pm'd me regarding my home made extension bracket. It uses metric M8 hardware from mcmaster carr. I hope this helps.
vinny

Pretty cool. Thanks for posting.

Ulrich

Harley Goldman
6-Aug-2009, 15:33
I use my Cham with a 300mm without the extension and it works great until I get pretty close in. I also use it with a 450mm with the extension and it is excellent. I used to have to use a tophat board with the 450mm on my Arca, but don't need it with the Cham.