PDA

View Full Version : New Technika bellows

David Swinnard
7-May-2009, 14:22
It's done. The new bellows were from Custom Bellows in the UK (thanks Keith!) cost 120 pounds plus shipping to western Canada (10 pounds and about 8 days). They fit perfectly.

The hardest part was finding the glue to fit the front metal stiffener. Based on recommendations from members of this forum, I went with Pliobond. I remember if from years ago, but that was obviously before LePages took over the Canadian adhesives market. All the local building, DIY, and hardware stores in my area only carried their products. One fellow remembered it and spent a while searching his suppliers for me only to draw a blank. A local model railroad hobbyists store finally came to the rescue. Apparently such folks like Pliobond for sticking tracks to ties. It sure seems to do the trick with bellows and metal, but boy does it stink!

Having now somewhat disassembled and reassembled my Technika V, my admiration for he camera has only increased. What a well-built, well engineered camera.

Now I can test the 75mm f/8 "Technika" Super Angulon (Compur) I picked up yesterday for $175. (already mounted on a genuine Linhof recessed board with the cable release extension - I love craigslist!)

Dave

JimL
7-May-2009, 14:29
Dave, which store was that? I'd like to get some Pliobond too...

Thanks,
Jim

GPS
7-May-2009, 14:40
While it stinks even just a little don't store the camera together with any film. Leave it in an open space as long as it needs to loose any odor. Vapors from diluent in it can make wonders with film. It has been reported that even furniture recently made can ruin film just with its synthetic odors.

Bill_1856
7-May-2009, 17:19
I keep saying that the one thing Linhof needs to do to improve the Technika is to make an interchangable bellows. It is the one single Achilles Heel in a virtually perfect product.
(Oh yeah, it would be nice to replace that POS leather viewing hood with a metal one like on the Crown Graphics.)

David Swinnard
8-May-2009, 08:06
Jim, the Pliobond came from Central Hobbies, 2845 Grandview Hwy, Vancouver. (undergoing reno's right now, but still open) Tell them you want it to fix a camera...they'll wonder what we're up to. It's somewhere at the front of the store, I had to ask. They've got adhesive products in various locations in the (crowded!) depending on what their expected use is.

GPS, it's sitting downstairs (stink at a distance), open to the air. All the film's in the fridge. I got a bit on my thumb and despite thorough washing I could still smell it this morning. Made last night's burger an interesting taste sensation, but one-handing it didn't work well.

Bill, you're right, it would be nice to swap the bellows as easily as the Sinar (or others, but the Sinar's the one I've most experience with). My viewing hood seems to be of a nylon ripstop-like material, but the old Tech IV I used to have use of had the flaky leather one...I don't remember it fondly.

Bob Salomon
8-May-2009, 08:11
I keep saying that the one thing Linhof needs to do to improve the Technika is to make an interchangable bellows. It is the one single Achilles Heel in a virtually perfect product.
(Oh yeah, it would be nice to replace that POS leather viewing hood with a metal one like on the Crown Graphics.)

Why? What would it let you do? The bellows on a Master technika works with any lens from 55mm to 360mm with movements. On a Master Technika 3000 the bellows works with all lenses from 35mm up to 360mm.

With lenses wider then 72mm the lens and front standard has to be positioned inside the body housing. They will not work on the focusing track on the drop bed.

So what would an interchangeable bellows accomplish? Other then making it easier to replace a bellows on an old camera.

kub
11-May-2009, 07:58
I'm not sure why putting any adhesive is necessary when changing the belows. I changed mine long time ago and didn't use any glue. I just folded the belows under the metal brackets and they are perfectly sealed. I really don't see the point of glueing it. As for the leather focusing hood, just put some leather conditioning lotions that you put on any leather, once in awhile is enough. Mine is 40yrs old and looks as if it was new....

Frank Petronio
11-May-2009, 08:39
The bellows are really thin and they do wear out... if you have a beater and can accept a short bellows you can steal a thick vinyl one from a Crown Graphic and attach the frames and make a Franken-Technika.

Also the metal Crown focusing hood can be fitted to replace the Linhof version. You loose about 1/8 inch of screen area. I've never actually done the modification myself but Marflex will do it, reluctantly of course ;-) I like it better and used the long Toyo 4-inch hood loupe so it was easy to focus on the GG with the hood open.

The only thing Linhof should do is redesign the front rise because those teeth always break off -- I prefer the IV for that reason, since cam interchangeability isn't really all that is cracked up to be and I rather have Marflex cam the lenses than to trust that some cam will be perfect out of the box.