PDA

View Full Version : Noob question re. film holders.

Imaginara
6-May-2009, 05:25
Hi all, Sorry if this is an obvious question but i couldnt' find any answer when searching.

I have a Burke & James 4x5 Orbit and wondering if there are any roll film holders that will fit it?

And allthough this might be a film related question, but are fuji still doing the FP-100C45 version? I have no problem finding the normal 100C variant but the 45 i cant see listed anywhere here in Sweden at least. Or is that an import only item from Japan? Trying to decide if i should get a 550 or 405 holder for polaroids.

Thankful for any replies =)

Gene McCluney
6-May-2009, 07:41
Calumet markets a line of roll-film holders that will work with ANY 4x5 view camera, as they slide in just like a cut-film holder. They come in 6x12, 6x9 & 6x7 sizes. Here is a link to one example on the Calumet website:

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/CB5500/

The Fuji 4x5 pack film is readily available here in the USA. Can't comment on your country.

Imaginara
7-May-2009, 06:37
Thanx Gene. So Calumet is the only holder that will work or are there other brands?

Gene McCluney
7-May-2009, 07:00
Thanx Gene. So Calumet is the only holder that will work or are there other brands?

There "may" be other brands, and certainly this type of roll holder was made by several vendors over the last 50 years, but none of the currently available choices would be any cheaper than the Calumet...unless you try the used market.

Your camera, if equipped with the factory stock back, does not have a graflok back, so cannot use many of the roll film choices, and in fact, in regards to your desire to use Fuji pack films, you may have a problem sliding in a Fuji Pack Film holder, as they are thicker than a standard film holder and do not slide in under non-graflok backs.

kub
7-May-2009, 13:28

No, there are others as long as your system takes graflok back. The cheapest probably is Chinese made ones that you can find on auction sites. If you look you'll find used items made by Horseman, Graphic, Linhof, and probably other makes including Calumet that are cheaper.

Oren Grad
7-May-2009, 13:35

Sinar made slide-in rollholders as well. They are less common and much more expensive than the Calumet/Cambo holders.

Linhof offers a slide-in holder in 6x7cm format only. It is also less common and much more expensive than the Calumet/Cambo holders, though it is lighter and more compact.

Wista offers slide-in rollholders, but they are quite thick and may not fit your B&J.

Imaginara
7-May-2009, 13:48
Ah thanx. I do seem to have the standard spring-operated back and not a grafloc (if i understand it). Oh well, just have to do this with the normal slide-in 4x5 sheet mags. :D

Its my first 4x5 camera and quite possibly not my last anyway =)