PDA

View Full Version : Double-sided tape or weatherstrip cement?

David Swinnard
4-May-2009, 11:31
I am replacing the bellows on my (ca '67) Technika. I'm ready to attach the front bellows plate to the new bellows (courtesy of Custom Bellows, 120 pounds plus shipping) and have found references to both the d/s tape and to weatherstip cement.

Before I do this, I thought I'd ask to see if anybody here has any experience in this matter. (the thought of them not lasting another 42 years is somewhat bothersome, I still plan to be shooting when I'm nearing the century mark)

The original seems to be held down with an adhesive that is still very much in control! (I wonder what it was...)

Thanks, Dave

bvstaples
4-May-2009, 12:48
Dave:

I just glued down the bellows to my c. 1970 Toyo Field. I contacted the folks at Mamiya America (they handle Toyo), and they and a few other sources indicated the use of polychloroprene adhesive. Polychloroprene is Neoprene, the stuff wet suits are made out of. At first I was leary, and I found it difficult to locate, but when I finally did find some, I found it to be ideal for bellows. It's extremely strong, yet flexible, and all reports indicate it gets stronger with age.

I searched the Internet for this glue and could only find it in 5-gallon cans. Then one day I was in Lowe's and came across DAP Weldwood Gel Contact Cement. It's pure polychloroprene adhesive. A one pint can was six bucks. Works like a charm!

Two things — first, this is the most volatile adhesive I've inhaled in a while. Use with PLENTY of ventilation. Second, go slow. Allow 24 hours between glue applications for drying. It took me about four days to attach the bellows. First day was a coating on the bellows facing that would attach to the camera, and on the camera facings themselves; second day was attachment to the front standard plate; third day was attachment to the rear standard; fourth day was checking and filling for possible light leaks (I had none).

Good Luck.

Brian

Gem Singer
4-May-2009, 12:58
Pliobond Adhesive.

Easy to find. Inexpensive to purchase. Dries fast. Holds extremely well. Remains flexible when dry.

GPS
4-May-2009, 13:19
Contact cement (various brands, Forbo, Pattex etc.) is very useful for these bonds. Has a very wide latitude (at least - 40°C - +110°C) in weather resistance.

Glenn Thoreson
4-May-2009, 20:53
Pliobond. It's generally available at good hardware stores. I got my last bottle at Ace Hardware.

John Schneider
4-May-2009, 22:32
Pliobond is stronger than typical contact cement, and it allows some repositioning after the parts are placed in contact. It smells bad, but the primary solvent is MEK (a cousin to acetone), which is rather mild as solvents go (many other cements use toluene or hexane).