PDA

View Full Version : Is this not the Coolest thing you've ever seen

johnschlicher
3-May-2009, 05:48
No ties to this auction, never seen one before

Bjorn Nilsson
3-May-2009, 06:00
Hey Snoopy! Watch out for the Red Baron!!! :) :)

Walter Calahan
3-May-2009, 06:30
Now that's cool, and a fabulous lens.

Terence McDonagh
3-May-2009, 08:27
Smithsonian Air & Space Museum used to have a similar one on display along with 2 of the WW II aerial cameras. I always wanted one. But I can honestly say I have too many cameras as it is.

sgelb
3-May-2009, 08:35
ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GRAFLEX

coolest cameras ever!!!!!!!

(btw i have 2 slrs, 2 speeds and a postcard camera!!!)

Alan Davenport
3-May-2009, 09:11
Probably NOT the camera to take when you're photographing the President...

Oren Grad
3-May-2009, 09:54
It's not complete without the goggles. :)

civich
3-May-2009, 10:18
[QUOTE=Terence McDonagh;464352]Smithsonian Air & Space Museum used to have a similar one on display along with 2 of the WW II aerial cameras. I always wanted one. But I can honestly say I have too many cameras as it is.]

As my barber said ( after I declined to buy a shotgun he had for sale in his shop by explaining that 'I had too many guns already')

"That's crazy talk sir!"

GPS
3-May-2009, 10:19
I wonder how many useful pictures you could get with a handhold 420mm /f8 lens on a WWI airplane...

Derek Kennedy
3-May-2009, 10:25
I can honestly say I have too many cameras as it is.

You can never have enough.

Im not even sure the exact number I have - somewhere between 40-45 cameras. All but two work. One needs a CLA bad but it works. One that doesnt work used to work but I tried to fix it...I suck at camera repair.

Scott Knowles
3-May-2009, 12:56
I wonder if you could actually use it without being stopped and/or arrested. Imagine loading film and pointing it at something or someone and the reaction people would have. But damn it would be cool to try it out.

Wayne Crider
3-May-2009, 13:04
I'm wondering if I put a pistol grip on my Graphic security guards will freak out when they see me pointing the camera at a building. Maybe a scope would help?:rolleyes:

csant
3-May-2009, 13:28
The small-format Photosnaiper looks bad enough… but this thing is serious heavy duty - I'd be curious to see what reactions are when you carry it around to shoot. Guess the first thoughts of bystanders would be something like "that looks like a gun that would like to be in disguise in a violin case but just couldn't be disguised well enough"…

emo supremo
3-May-2009, 16:32
Bets on how long I'd be allowed to use that on the subway here in Queens?

Shen45
3-May-2009, 16:39
Imagine doing a local pickup as the winning bid and hand carrying it back on an airline :)

Really sir it is a camera. You just have to love the pistol grip.

dazedgonebye
3-May-2009, 17:23
If I had a bi-plane, I'd be all over that.

Captain_joe6
3-May-2009, 19:51
Theodor Scheimpflug would surely have some harsh words about the design of the camera and its problems with getting a good, sharp image. ;)

Terence McDonagh
3-May-2009, 22:10
You can never have enough.

Im not even sure the exact number I have - somewhere between 40-45 cameras. All but two work. One needs a CLA bad but it works. One that doesnt work used to work but I tried to fix it...I suck at camera repair.

I stopped counting at 85 cameras, so you have a ways to go before you hit "enough".

Terence McDonagh
3-May-2009, 22:13
[QUOTE=Terence McDonagh;464352]Smithsonian Air & Space Museum used to have a similar one on display along with 2 of the WW II aerial cameras. I always wanted one. But I can honestly say I have too many cameras as it is.]

As my barber said ( after I declined to buy a shotgun he had for sale in his shop by explaining that 'I had too many guns already')

"That's crazy talk sir!"

Guns are a different matter all together. Alas, my taste in guns is more expensive than in cameras . . .

Kevin M Bourque
4-May-2009, 11:42
I always loved the name "Gotar". It's either a character from a bad SF novel ("I am Gotar, destroyer of worlds!") or, well, a lens made from goats.

In reality, Goerz Gotar drives a taxi in Brooklyn.