PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Super-Angulon 65/5.6 MC selected by Linhof

zwicko
2-May-2009, 10:03
Hi everyone,
does anyone use the above mentioned lens (manufactured around mid 80s)?
I know it will not provide plenty of movement on 4x5" but whatīs the general consensus regarding image quality and usability?
Whatīs the average asking price for the lens in a Compur shutter? I couldnīt find any on fleabay, KEH only stocks older ones for around 500-600USD.

Any comments much appreciated.

Walter Calahan
2-May-2009, 11:24
If Linhof selects it, it's got to be damn good.

Perhaps it is so good, no one sells theirs?

Me, I use a Nikkor 65 mm. All the modern 65 mm lenses will serve you will.

Gene McCluney
2-May-2009, 17:33
I have a 65mm Super-Angulon (not selected by Linhof), and it "JUST" covers 4x5. It is sharp out to the edge, but there is a great deal of light fall-off, which can be managed if you dodge and burn your images when you print or scan them (dodge and burn in photoshop). Or you can get a center-filter. Because the lens sits so close to the film-plane, this may inhibit your use of the limited movements available with this focal length.

Andrew
2-May-2009, 22:52
I have one of those... I've had it for a couple of years so I've no idea what it's worth now.

mine seems quite sharp enough for me but I aways stop it down and, unlike many people here, I'm very tollerant of a bit of vignetting or softness in the corners so I wouldn't notice if that was happening

my biggest issue about "usability" is that the lens ends up very close to the bellows on my technika so:
i/ ordinary bellows won't allow more than a scrap of movement, and
ii/ the front standard is inside the camera body so the body and the struts for the drop bed get in the way.

I've also tried mounting it on a tachihara and the movements were limited by the bellows

I've decided that if you're seriously interested in movements with one of these you'd really need a camera with a bag bellows

for the record: I pull the back out and have the lens on a flat lens board which gets a little more bellows extension than using the Linhof wide-angle focus device. That makes me feel like I could get a little movement out of the system. If the lens is mounted on the wide angle focus device the bellows is quite compressed and won't go anywhere. I'm considering remounting the lens on a recessed board to see if a little more bellows extension makes trying a little movement easier.

Dan Fromm
3-May-2009, 08:09
If Linhof selects it, it's got to be damn good.

Walter, Linhof didn't select the best, they rejected the clinkers that made it through Schneider quality control. The two processes are far from equivalent.-s

Linhof-selected = probably not terrible when new. But since we're talking about used lenses, "terrible now" is possible.

Cheers,

Dan

Lynn Jones
4-May-2009, 11:16
Hi zwicko,

Dan is absolutely right, years ago when I was in the business, the international sales manager told me, if they want to pre-select 10 lenses, we "pre-select" the first 10 off the line that passed quality control.

However, the f5.6 S. Angulons cover 105 degrees and are multicoated. Truly excellent lenses. I've used several of tham and have never been disappointed while that might not have been the case with some other optical products.

Lynn

zwicko
4-May-2009, 13:59
Thank you all for your insight.

I hope an affordable one comes my way soon... ;)