PDA

View Full Version : Replacement ballhead - suggestions?

gevalia
1-May-2009, 09:58
Guys,

I've got a great carbon fiber tripod that will handle 25 lbs with a ballhead. I bought both when I was shooting a DSLR and huge 30mm lenses which I have sense stopped using. While the tripod is fantastic, I have neglected the ballhead to the point where it will be replaced and I have the $$ to replace it now. My current work is only with a LF 4x5 (Chamonix) which is 3 lbs or so. But I am starting to jones for an 8x10 so I suspect that is in the cards over the next few years.

Anyone have suggestions for a head for my Gitzo for the 4x5 and "probably" an 8x10.

Thanks,
Ron

darr
1-May-2009, 10:11
I use the Really Right Stuff BH-55 LR (http://reallyrightstuff.com/ballheads/02.html) with my Gitzo 1325 and Ebony 4x5 and Fotoman 6x17. It works very well -- never have had a problem. I also purchased a separate B2-Pro II clamp and have it attached on an older Gitzo Rational 4 head and Pro Studex legs for my Arca Swiss for studio work. RRS produces great products IMO.

Darr

Ron Marshall
1-May-2009, 10:15
Compare Kirk, Arca-Swiss, Gitzo, Acratech, at the B&H website. All are good, comes down to features and price.

Also check Really-Right-Stuff as Darr suggested. They are great people to deal with and were very helpful to me.

drew.saunders
1-May-2009, 10:20
If you have the opportunity to try a geared head, do so. You may still prefer a ballhead, but for LF, the precision of a geared head may be worth it, and the slower working process isn't generally a problem for many users.

The Manfrotto 410 "Junior" geared head will certainly handle your 4x5 and possibly a light 8x10. The next size increases for Manfrotto are the 405 medium-sized and 400 larger one. They're rated for 5, 7.5 and 10kg respectively, but those may be a bit conservative for LF, where you can usually get your camera's weight more centered than a smaller camera with a huge lens.

Here's their pointlessly long URL for all 3 heads: http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/offonce/pid/1799?categoryKey=BRAND:MN:MAIN:AB:SUB1:AF:SUB3:AC&livid=80&lsf=80&child=4

Arca-Swiss makes a geared head too, but it's a wee bit more expensive, to put it mildly.

Walter Calahan
1-May-2009, 10:27
You do not want a ball head for 8x10. It will drive you nuts trying to level the camera. I don't like a ball head on my 4x5, either. I find plate heads far easier to center with LF cameras.

For 35 mm and medium format, I love ball heads. I own a bunch of Really Right Stuff gear. But when I shoot 8x10, I only use a plate head.

Bob Salomon
1-May-2009, 10:38
Well, I'll get our choice in: Check the Novoflex Classic Ball series and Magic Ball series and the Linhof Profi series.

rdenney
1-May-2009, 11:32
If you decide to stay with a ballhead, keep an eye out for an original (pre-B1) Arca-Swiss Monoball. These sells for fairly cheap because they aren't as popular, but they are outstanding and can easily handle just about any LF stuff you want to throw at it. I used to use a Bogen 3039 (or is it 3029--I can't keep track of all those numbers) which is the fanciest of the three-way heads they sell, and I prefer the ballhead even for a view camera. But a cheap ballhead goes the other way--it will turn you off on that concept altogether.

I've never used a geared head, but the link provided previously is intriguing, to say the least.

Rick "who uses a one-sided gimbal head for most small-format stuff" Denney

jarrod connerty
2-May-2009, 15:10
What's your budget, and is there a maximum weight in mind?

Jeff Keller
2-May-2009, 17:33
You might want to look at the Korean made PhotoClam Multiflex:
<http://www.gobizkorea.com/blog/en_catalog_view.jsp?blog_id=kipc9114&co_lang=2&group_code=7900&obj_id=842874"> or <www.photoclam.com>

A google search shows many dead end trails to it. Maybe Arca Swiss succeeded in keeping it from being distributed.
Jeff Keller

Carlos R Herrera
2-May-2009, 18:51
I have the original Acratech on my old aluminum Gitzo and it's very strong with the Lotus 4x5. It's very fast to operate and is super light.

But it wouldn't be a good choice for a heavy 8x10 if you end up going that route.

I have a massive Studioball with my Zone VI 8x10. No problems leveling it, but.....I had Richard Ritter add two additional tripod sockets to the camera, so I could use the RRS MPR-1 plate. A single point attachment wouldn't do the trick in my mind. The camera is too heavy and the plate will move, but having a plate with TWO screw mounts is the way to go. Something to think about if you do get a heavy 8x10 with only one mount.

CH

http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss106/280hpwrx/DSC_0641v1.jpg

mike kwiatkowski
2-May-2009, 21:18
I have been using a Markins ballhead for over a year now for 4x5. Very light, smooth and strong. It does what I need it to. I am using it on a Gitzo tripod.

archivue
3-May-2009, 02:03
i prefer the Arca Swiss B2 that have two axis... but weight more than the others !

the current Z2 is even better...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/largeimages/1909.jpg

Paul O
3-May-2009, 02:58
A second vote for the Arca Swiss B2. Looks like a ballhead but doesn't behave like one! Very easy to adjust and control all planes individually. Pricey but excellent!

gevalia
3-May-2009, 05:24
You do not want a ball head for 8x10. It will drive you nuts trying to level the camera. I don't like a ball head on my 4x5, either. I find plate heads far easier to center with LF cameras.

For 35 mm and medium format, I love ball heads. I own a bunch of Really Right Stuff gear. But when I shoot 8x10, I only use a plate head.

Walter,

What is a "plate head"? Is that the same as a geared head?

Bill L.
3-May-2009, 05:46
I have the original Acratech ballhead, which I still use frequently, but for the 4x5 at least I find that the Acratech GV1 (though I guess they're now on the GV2) to be very sturdy for a Canham DLC45 using a 450mm lens. If you had a lighter 8x10, it might work out well.

Cheers!
Bill

Eric Brody
3-May-2009, 07:16
I too have the original Acratech which I use only for hiking with smaller formats, 6x7, and dslr. It locks tightly but it is hard to have a smooth transition between locked and "floppy." The newer versions seem better for just a bit more money though I do not feel comfortable with mine for my 4x5. I use an Arca B1 for 4x5 and it's great though I sometimes wonder about getting an RRS clamp for my old Gitzo rational heads which sit in my closet and have not sold at a couple of swapmeets. It's best to try these out, and if you have photographer friends, hit them up for a brief look.

Good luck.

Eric

David Rees
3-May-2009, 07:45
If a ballhead is acceptable, consider a Burzynski head. I use one on a G1548, and I really like its low weight, and the low centre of gravity the head provides. It also locks RIGID. Designed for long telephotos, so no problem with my Ebony 45SU with a 400mm tele, or my Fuji GX680III (a big beast). I do not think 10x8 would be a problem for it.

The downsides:
a) does not come with a QR plate -- so either have to buy one, or screw the camera direct to the head.
b) Only sold by two shops in the world, AFAIK, one in Germany, and one in France -- but they are happy to export.
c) not always in stock, since they are made in limited quantities, and sell quickly.
d) not cheap!

John Jarosz
3-May-2009, 08:13
I agree that a ball head is difficult to maneuver with an 8x10. Geared heads are much easier to manipulate as that weight.

John

Brian Ellis
3-May-2009, 08:20
A ball head with a 10-15 pound 8x10 camera plus lens and film holder isn't a good idea IMHO. The camera tends to flop around when you're trying to get it in position and with that much weight your arms get tired quickly. More importantly, it's difficult to adjust the camera position with any precision when the camera is moving in several different directions at once. I like ball heads for digital cameras and medium format but not for 4x5 and up, especially not for 8x10.

I think a pan tilt head or a geared head works best for 8x10. My favorite head for 8x10 (Deardorff) was the Bogen 3057. Rock solid and the big 4" square plate is very nice. I used it with the Bogen 3058 tripod and kept the bottom leg section contracted, which put the camera right around eye level (I'm 5' 11") and provided excellent support. I don't know if either of these are made any more but I've seen the 3057 head on ebay fairly often. A heavy set up (tripod about 8 pounds, head about 4 pounds) but I didn't take long hikes with an 8x10 system so it worked very well and was less expensive than other alternatives.

I use the Bogen 410 geared head for 4x5 and smaller formats but I'm not sure it's sturdy enough for 8x10.

AnzaRunner
3-May-2009, 09:39
I have a Kirk BH-1 ballhead that I use with my 4x5. It works great. I have even tried it with my 8x10, and it too worked just fine. All you need to do is set the minimum tension control, and they hold the 8x10 just fine. However, I opted for a Gitzo low profile pan tilt head because of the large plate size. This makes the camera more stable than using a small QR plate.

D. Bryant
3-May-2009, 10:11
Guys,

I've got a great carbon fiber tripod that will handle 25 lbs with a ballhead. I bought both when I was shooting a DSLR and huge 30mm lenses which I have sense stopped using. While the tripod is fantastic, I have neglected the ballhead to the point where it will be replaced and I have the $$ to replace it now. My current work is only with a LF 4x5 (Chamonix) which is 3 lbs or so. But I am starting to jones for an 8x10 so I suspect that is in the cards over the next few years.

Anyone have suggestions for a head for my Gitzo for the 4x5 and "probably" an 8x10.

Thanks,
Ron

Ron,

For a light weight Chamoix 4x5 consider the Markins Q3 Emille. As nice as any and very nicely priced, IMO.

Don Bryant