PDA

View Full Version : Cold Tone Paper Suggestions

rcjtapio
30-Apr-2009, 17:31
I would like to hear some suggestions of gallery quality, multi-grade FB, cold-tone papers with a white base, that tones nicely in selenium and responds to potassium ferricyanide.

I currently print on Ilford MGIV FB glossy, but as anyone using this paper knows, it only tones slightly in selemium and does not respond well to ferricyanide.

It would be nice to have the ferricyanide painting in my bag of tricks when I need it. And I'm not sure I want to go back to graded papers.

Thank you for any suggestions?

Rick Tapio

Kevin Crisp
30-Apr-2009, 17:32
Oriental FB multi-contrast tones in selenium like gangbusters. It bleaches fine too.

Drew Wiley
30-Apr-2009, 19:59
Kentmere Fineprint will give a cold tone in amidol developers using benzotriazole as
the restrainer. Accepts toners and bleaching very nicely.

Steve Goldstein
1-May-2009, 04:08
Oriental FB multi-contrast tones in selenium like gangbusters. It bleaches fine too.

How does Oriental respond to Ilford VC filters, as compared with MGIV?

Bruce Barlow
1-May-2009, 04:12
How does Oriental respond to Ilford VC filters, as compared with MGIV?

Just fine.

rcjtapio
1-May-2009, 08:23
That actually brings up another good question for those who are using the Oriental MG paper. Does the Oriental MG paper respond better to the Ilford filters or the Kodak filters. (I have a Saunders LPL enlarger with the VCCE head, so have both sets of filters available.) I will end up testing both, both thought there might be someone experienced that might have an opinion.

Kevin Crisp
1-May-2009, 09:36
I've only used it with the Ilford filters. I thought it responded normally, as in grade 2 is what I would expect. The no longer available Forte paper, which I really liked, was linear but started off being more contrasty with the Ilford filters.

jeroldharter
1-May-2009, 12:35
I tested a variety of papers some time ago for the exact characteristics you mention. As I recall, I tried Kodak Polymax, Forte, Luminos (?), Ilford MG, Oriental. I made some sample prints of the same image on each paper and processed as I normally would. Then I mixed them all up for a blind comparison. Kodak was my winner. After that, Kodak announced they were ceasing production of paper.

So then I did a similar comparison of warm tone papers and decided on Forte Polywarmtone. The Forte ceased production.

I found a replacement for Kodak by testing the Kentmere FP VC. Then Ilford bought Kentmere. But the new Harmon Kentmere is only a little different and meets all or your criteria. I would try a pack and see what you think. I unterstand that one of the Arista house brands is Kentmere paper at a cheaper price but I have not used it.