PDA

View Full Version : Imagons and their shutters ?

otzi
30-Apr-2009, 07:36
I see a lot of the 'bay' offerings are in compound shutters. How do these compare to other more modern shutters. Or should I ask what other shutters were / are fitted to Imagons. I am interested in a 250.

Bjorn Nilsson
30-Apr-2009, 08:19
With concideration on how the Imagon "works", i.e. exposure-wise a lot of flare, I don't think shutter accuracy is that important. (Well, it is if you're shooting e.g. Velvia, but then you should really use some kind of in-camera metering, like the Sinar Booster or similar.)
Now, a CLA'd Compound isn't all that bad. If you create a habit of doing a couple of test exposures at the time set, it should be quite reliable. Just make a test for the "real" time at each setting, or ask for it from the service-man.
Last, the sound of the Compound is soo much softer and nicer than the sound of any modern shutter, which could be "important" when shooting portraits.

//Björn

Bob Salomon
30-Apr-2009, 08:34
The 200, 250 and 300mm were all sold in Copal 3 shutter for their last 30 or so years of manufacture.

Thomas Greutmann
30-Apr-2009, 22:34
I have an Imagon 250 and a 200, both in Compound shutters. If the shutter is clean an well maintained, they are just as good and reliable as mechanical shutters (Compur or others). I bought both lenses/shutters off the 'bay', one shutter came very clean and was working fine. The other was not. I had to clean it and seal the piston, this is not too difficult to do, but it probably should be done by a pro to get it done perfect. Mine is now working but not perfect.

It is an option to mount a Compound shutter Imagon into a newer Compur 3. I looked into this but you need adapter rings to make it fit. The older Compound and the newer Compur have different thread sizes. SK Grimes will do this, but it will cost probably more than the Imagon in the auction.

If you want to buy a Compound mounted lens off an auction you should ask the seller upfront if the shutter is working reasonably well. It can be quickly tested if the shutter is fired at 1 sec, 1/2 sec and at minimum (usuall 1/100 sec). The sound will be a distinctive click (open) - clack (close). At 1/100 it should be just a click. Maybe ask the seller to play the sound over the phone or have him send a sound file.

Greetings, Thomas

Bob Salomon
1-May-2009, 11:47
And don't forget flash synch, if you are going to use studio flash. You will need a shutter with X synch. That should be a problem with most Compound shutters.

Philippe Grunchec
29-Jul-2009, 02:22
Bob, what do you mean by that? I just got a 250 on Compound!

Archphoto
29-Jul-2009, 04:56
Congrad's !

Now a bit of contrasty light and you can start taking photo's with it !
In general you can use the h: as f: with a film with some latitude.
And you will have to see on the GG how much softness/sharpness /contrast you want.
Start with the middle disk wide open and work from there.

They are fantastic lenses for portraits of ladies in their 40's without plastic......
I have the 250 in Copal 3 and love it, and have a 200 for mounting on a Rollei SL66.

Have fun !

Peter

AJ Edmondson
29-Jul-2009, 06:01
I have the 250 in Compound and wouldn't change shutters for the same reason set forth by others. I had the shutter serviced by Steve Grimes and have no complaints with it.
The Imagon does require some experimentation but in my opinion is worth the effort!

Philippe Grunchec
29-Jul-2009, 09:44
Mine (n° 4 808 427) came without the ND filter and the lens hood: is there a modern equivalent?

Mark Sawyer
29-Jul-2009, 13:48
For the new Compound user, it should be pointed out that these shutters have a different way of setting back and forth between open for focusing and the timed exposures. There's a little 3-position lever under the lens, (I think it's M, B, and Z), and if you try to force the shutter to operate like a Copal, you'll likely tear it up.

Philippe Grunchec
1-Aug-2009, 04:17
Do you think I could use the iris to reduce the amount of light (the Compound's faster speed is 1/100°, as you know)? How would that affect quality/personnality of the image?

Peter K
1-Aug-2009, 05:45
Do you think I could use the iris to reduce the amount of light (the Compound's faster speed is 1/100°, as you know)? How would that affect quality/personnality of the image?
The Imagon should be used only with the sieve diaphragms and not with the iris. With the iris all the special flair of this lens is gone. Here (http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/imagon_1.html) you can find an introduction into the Imagon photography.

If the original ND-filter is lost, a slice of a plastic tube that fits in the sieve discs can be equipped with a 0.6 ND gel-filter. So the exposure time needed is 4-times as long like with the original filter.

Peter

Philippe Grunchec
1-Aug-2009, 06:28
Vielen Dank, Peter!

Mark Sawyer
1-Aug-2009, 09:54
I use my 300mm Imagon almost excclusively with the Compound shutter's conventional iris diaphragm. The soft-focus abberations gradually decrease as you stop down, and eventually disappear. This is true of all soft-focus lenses.

The H-stop discs let you close down for more depth of field without losing the soft focus effect. One more tool in the bag, but it doesn't make the other tools less valuable. (BTW, be careful to avoid those infamous "soup-strainer" internal flares when using the H-stop discs.)

Philippe Grunchec
1-Aug-2009, 10:28
Thanks, Mark. So you don't agree with Peter:D
But my Compound doesn't have marks for the diaphragms:( A former owner added little marks "16/22/32" at the very end, but how can I rely on them? And at these apertures the soft effect must be gone, I bet.
BTW, where can I see some of your photos with the Imagon?
Thanks in advance.
Philippe

Mark Sawyer
2-Aug-2009, 00:42
Philippe ~

There are lots of opinions about how to use the Imagon. That's part of the fun! I'd just measure the openings and mark them for yourself. Very easy to do...

Here are three not-very-serious Imagon images. They show what the lens likes to do...

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g139/Owen21k/J.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g139/Owen21k/girls.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g139/Owen21k/3.jpg

Philippe Grunchec
2-Aug-2009, 03:19
Thanks, Mark! Great shots indeed.

Daniel Unkefer
2-Aug-2009, 17:35
I have the 200mm and 250mm Imagons in compound, and they both sync just fine with my modern Broncolor strobes. Never a bit of problem, as long as they have been well maintained, and not abused. Actually the air shutters hold up quite well over the decades, in my experience.

Philippe Grunchec
3-Aug-2009, 10:40
Thanks, Daniel. Today I used my Imagon with a Godard, and it went fine!