PDA

View Full Version : Omega D2v XL leaking light

J V McLure
29-Apr-2009, 22:08
While projecting to focus, I stood up and I was at eye level with the negatice stage on my Omega D2 XL. I had no idea how much light the thing leaks! It was a D2v but I removed the condenser stage and installed a Dicro Head. Is the light leak a problem? If so, is there a fix anyone knows about?

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

J V

Donald Miller
29-Apr-2009, 23:20
I had one of these and it leaked light like a sieve. I ended up using a rubber foam sheet (1/8 inch thick and adhesive on one side) to afix to the neg carrier. This went a long way to solving the problem. Stray light is an insidious factor when enlarging. Another beneficial solution would be to paint the surrounding walls flat black.

Robert Ley
30-Apr-2009, 05:41
I had the same problem with my Beseler 45, although not as severe as your D2v. I used some black foam strip that one would use as a weather stripping and put it on the the top part of the enlarger where it meets the negative carrier and the problem was solved. This fix has lasted several years without a problem.

Steve Goldstein
30-Apr-2009, 05:44
My Beseler 45 is like Robert's. I didn't want to paint the walls black as that's extra work to reverse when I move out. Instead, I bought black flocking paper from Edmund Scientific and taped it to the walls using the blue 3M painter's tape. It's easy to remove and doesn't leave residue. After several years I can still peel it off easily (I just checked).

Brian Ellis
30-Apr-2009, 06:14
I think most enlargers leak light from various places. John Sexton recommends putting your head on the easel and looking up into the lens so you see what your paper is seeing. Chances are you'll see a lot of light leaking out from around the lens board and down onto the paper.

I used black tape to seal off places that didn't need to move. For the area around the negative stage I adapted an old cardboard shoe box that could be easily lifted on and off the enlarger head to insert and remove the negative holder. The sides of the shoe box covered the space around the negative stage from which the light was leaking. I devised a piece of cardboard to fit around the lens board and block the light coming from there. It's just a matter of first finding the leaks then fixing them with whatever is at hand. I don't like black walls so I didn't want to go that route and for some leaks - e.g. the area around the lens board - painting the walls black doesn't help.

I doubt that some of these leaks really mattered in terms of affecting the print, it just didn't seem like a good idea to have light leaking out of the enlarger.

jenluc
30-Apr-2009, 06:38
It is a common problem. One solution is to take some strips of black plastic (from the envelopes that printing paper comes in) and tape them below the negative stage so that they cover the leaking area.

PViapiano
30-Apr-2009, 07:41
Usually you can see a horizontal strip of stray light on the walls around a leaky enlarger. Work on blocking the light off from around the head/neg stage (all of the above are great suggestions, plus attaching strips of flat black cardstock to the head) and you'll have nothing but the light you want on your baseboard.

aduncanson
30-Apr-2009, 08:23
The newer black negative carriers with the flange surrounding the negative frame that fits into the lower section of the enlarger do substantial good toward reducing leaks at the negative stage.

Greg Blank
30-Apr-2009, 18:34
Oh they matter! Try printing some direct positive materials like R3000 (if they bring it back)....you get green fog unless you seal off every stray light beam.

With B&W Your going to fog the paper, maybe not so apparent until compared to when you take corrective measures.

I think most enlargers leak light from various places. John Sexton recommends putting your head on the easel and looking up into the lens so you see what your paper is seeing. Chances are you'll see a lot of light leaking out from around the lens board and down onto the paper.

I used black tape to seal off places that didn't need to move. For the area around the negative stage I adapted an old cardboard shoe box that could be easily lifted on and off the enlarger head to insert and remove the negative holder. The sides of the shoe box covered the space around the negative stage from which the light was leaking. I devised a piece of cardboard to fit around the lens board and block the light coming from there. It's just a matter of first finding the leaks then fixing them with whatever is at hand. I don't like black walls so I didn't want to go that route and for some leaks - e.g. the area around the lens board - painting the walls black doesn't help.

I doubt that some of these leaks really mattered in terms of affecting the print, it just didn't seem like a good idea to have light leaking out of the enlarger.

Greg Blank
30-Apr-2009, 18:43
A couple of things, the Dichroic Head won't sit correctly in the arms if you have screwed the thumbscrews against the edge of the slot instead of seating the screw within the slot. Second there is a set of D shaped rings that have to be attached so that each is both on the horizontal shaft and screwed against the column.

These two issues will cause the Dichroic Head to improperly float on the arms.

Lastly the Dichroic heads have a Foam Light seal gasket. Omega sells these through photo dealers or you can buy them directly at 800-777-6634 the are about 8.50 for a precut pre-adhesived gasket....or if your a pin pincher cut them from something else and stick them on the underside where the lamphouse contacts the carrier.

While projecting to focus, I stood up and I was at eye level with the negatice stage on my Omega D2 XL. I had no idea how much light the thing leaks! It was a D2v but I removed the condenser stage and installed a Dicro Head. Is the light leak a problem? If so, is there a fix anyone knows about?

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

J V