PDA

View Full Version : Fuji Acros Available in 4x5 Sheets (Non-Quickload) Next Month

Eric Leppanen
28-Apr-2009, 14:02
I just happened to notice this, and did not see any references on this forum....Fuji Japan has agreed to distribute 4x5 Acros in 10-sheet boxes (non-Quickload) in the United States, starting next month. Fuji USA initially requested 20 sheet boxes (which are currently being sold in Japan), but Fuji Japan concluded that the 10 sheet box was more economical (USA demand is expected to be modest, and apparently Fuji has a lot of 10 sheet box inventory due to declines in E-6 film sales). Fuji does claim that the per-sheet cost of the 10 sheet box will be no higher than that of the 20.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum322/58876-when-will-acros-4x5-available-sheets-us.html

Also, Fuji FP100B 4x5/10 sheet packs will be available in the USA as of May 10th.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/60886-polaroid-600se-fuji-fp-100b-film.html#post787892

vinny
28-Apr-2009, 14:06
badger has it in 20 sheet boxes right now, at least this morning they did. It didn't have the usual "out of stock" next to it.

Gene McCluney
28-Apr-2009, 14:26
badger has it in 20 sheet boxes right now, at least this morning they did. It didn't have the usual "out of stock" next to it.

Badger is a direct importer. They do not go through the USA Fuji distributor, hence are not limited to what Fuji "Officially" imports into the USA.

Derek Kennedy
28-Apr-2009, 14:36
Yeah I had read on another forum that they expected the film to be 10 packs, available in May(ish?). I can't wait - I'm sure it will still be expensive (as Acros seems to be no matter the format) but I can't wait to get some.

DJGainer
28-Apr-2009, 14:45
Yeah I had read on another forum that they expected the film to be 10 packs, available in May(ish?). I can't wait - I'm sure it will still be expensive (as Acros seems to be no matter the format) but I can't wait to get some.

Acros in 120 is one of the cheapest quality films you can find.

Filmnut
28-Apr-2009, 17:16
Well folks, thanks for the tip!
I hope that some of the film will make it north to Canada!
Keith

Derek Kennedy
29-Apr-2009, 09:51
Acros in 120 is one of the cheapest quality films you can find.

True - but I find it a little more expensive in 35 mm, and of course in 4x5 sheets. I did check Freestyle yesterday and noticed really how cheap Acros was in 120, esp when compared to 35mm.

So far I've only exposed/developed one roll and really loved the results and cant wait to use the rolls I have in the fridge. I am definitely ordering more soon.

E Thomson
29-Apr-2009, 12:16
Can someone please tell me what I might expect from this film?

Thanks

Eric Brody
29-Apr-2009, 19:59
E Thomson, you can expect full film speed, depending on developer, impressive sharpness, very fine grain, and no reciprocity up to 2 minute exposures. It is a fabulous material.

Eric

gevalia
30-Apr-2009, 13:32
You can also expect spotty availability, and an ever-increasing price (sheets not QL). Good stuff for sure, but unless you're gonna stock up, be prepared to not be able to get it when you need it. On the other hand, the 120 is cheap and everywhere.

Drew Wiley
30-Apr-2009, 20:09
Eric - I find the acetate film base tends to sag a little in 8x10 in a conventional film
holder (not as stiff as polyester), but not a big issue in 4x5 due to smaller area
capable of flexing. The film is also slick, so prone to Newton rings, hence I always
use AN top glass in the enlarger carrier. Acetate base is not dimensionally stable
either, so this can be a problem if you are someone who likes to do unsharp masking. Otherwise, it's my very favorite 4x5 film in the mountains. I rate it as 50
for PMK because I like shadow detail, and this brings the exposure up on the straight
line section of the curve. And I love the more natural look of the orthopan versus
pan sensitivity. As others have noted, it also has excellent receip characteristics.

Sal Santamaura
1-May-2009, 11:35
You can also expect spotty availability, and an ever-increasing price (sheets not QL). Good stuff for sure, but unless you're gonna stock up, be prepared to not be able to get it when you need it. On the other hand, the 120 is cheap and everywhere.The only reason for spotty availability of loose sheet Acros until now has been Fuji USA's refusal to officially import it. Since that decision has been reversed, there should be a reliable supply going forward.

...I find the acetate film base tends to sag a little in 8x10 in a conventional film holder (not as stiff as polyester), but not a big issue in 4x5 due to smaller area capable of flexing. The film is also slick, so prone to Newton rings, hence I always use AN top glass in the enlarger carrier. Acetate base is not dimensionally stable either, so this can be a problem if you are someone who likes to do unsharp masking...Acros sheets are now and always have been on a polyester base. See this post

http://www.apug.org/forums/549106-post7.html

for details.

Anti-Newton top glass in an enlarger carrier should not be any more necessary with Acros than it is with other polyester-based sheet films, except for 320TXP, which has a back coating to enable retouching that dulls it. The emulsion of Acros, however, along with that of 100TMX, is glossy enough to cause Newton's rings problems. Unfortunately, Anti-Newton top glass does nothing to mitigate this issue.